Cummins fuel cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arcticspud

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Noeta
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
Has anyone changed the fuel cooler and high pressure fuel lines on a 6BTA?

Just curious what I am about to get myself into any trouble.

mechanical or electronic engine ?
i have mechanical 6BTA without fuel cooler no problem, but a relatively large fuel tank

I don't have a high pressure common rail engine, but at a recent Nigel Calder seminar he was clear about not working on high pressure lines or injectors yourself, but to hire a professional. They are too dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Maybe shouldnt do it with the engine running :). Mechanical injected 6BTA wont have any line pressure unless its running. Why do you want to change the fuel lines ? Anyway, its fairly simple to do any of the fuel related repairs/removal on a 6BTA. Definitely need a qualified repair facility to work on IP or injectors.

These are 1998 mechanical 6BTAs. The fuel cooler and the associated lines are before the HP fuel pump/injectors. I am not going to touch anything downstream of that beast. I have some surface corrosion on the fuel lines and I suspect the oil cooler is nearing the end. They are fairly cheap (100.00). The fuel cooler is on the return side and there is lots of info out there as to the usefulness. Tony at SBMar has a mod to remove them.

Last edited:
I see, from your post I assumed you wanted to change out the injector lines. The feed and return lines should not be a problem. Get as much air out of the feed lina as possible befor tightening the fitting.

I see, from your post I assumed you wanted to change out the injector lines. The feed and return lines should not be a problem. Get as much air out of the feed lina as possible befor tightening the fitting.

That was my fault. I didn't write it very clearly. I took a diesel class years ago from Bob Smith and he was adamant that you never mess with the injector pump. You only mess with the injector lines if you know what you are doing. So from that, I don' touch anything after the pump.

I've been into a few P7100 pumps on trucks, same as the one on your engine, it aint rocket surgery. But there is generally no need to mess with it. On the other hand, you do need to know how to bleed the injectors/lines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom