Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This summer while crossing Lake Ontario out of Oswego we were boarded by CG. It was for training just like Ted's experience. I stayed at the helm while the wife showed all the inspections items. We have a discharge plaque at the lower helm. The young CG fella said we needed a "waste management plan". He told her to get a pen and paper. He proceeded to dictate a plan while my wife wrote down what he said. It basically said we would segregate all trash and properly dispose when we were ashore. It sounded bogus to me but it was easier to get them off the boat as fast as possible. They were very friendly and the experience wasn't bad. The wife wasn't pleased that their big black boots marked up her wool rug in the salon.

I believe West Marine gives those signs away for free or you can buy nicer versions.

I have them but forget where they are when it comes time to show them. The whole idea of a sign seems pretty silly. We all know what we're supposed to do but we're going to do what we want regardless of a sign.

Came through those sounds the first time back in the late 80's on my 27' sailboat with the single cylinder BMW diesel. It was bad and I didn't know better. Water was flying everywhere. My depth sounder was a flasher and I had my VHF speaker laying on the lazarette next to it. It was lonesome and it didn't help any when the rain joined the wind. Next the VHF quit so I had no contact with anyone if I had wanted to. Kilkenny Creek looked real good (which is hard to do) when I finally got in after dark. The VHF started talking again after I dumped the water out of the speaker. Character building or something.

Another ugly day on the water. 20 to 25 gusts to 30 knots with 2 to 3' seas on St. Catherines sound. Correction, just had a 40 knot gust. Seas are down to 1' as I'm just about out of the sound. Seas were higher as wind was opposing the incoming tide.

Ted

If you had been a week earlier you would have had beautiful weather and temperatures in the seventies.

Well, his temperatures are still probably in the 70's most of the day (inside). That's the good news.

I believe West Marine gives those signs away for free or you can buy nicer versions.

I have them but forget where they are when it comes time to show them. The whole idea of a sign seems pretty silly. We all know what we're supposed to do but we're going to do what we want regardless of a sign.
Are you talking the red and blue "trash disposal" stckers?

If so...that is not a written waste management plan required for vessels over 12m. (40')

However the "waste Management plan" is easily available on the web...thought even the BoatUS website had one.

Simple one page document, works for any of our boats. I Keep using the same one year after year...just draw a line and have the crew initial and date it every yearly cruise. Makes it look like people actually look, read and flollow it. Coasties liked the idea.

Greetings,
Waste management plan: Collect garbage. Dispose of same in appropriate containers on shore. Yup, written on a single sheet of paper in chart drawer.

"Greetings,
Waste management plan: Collect garbage. Dispose of same in appropriate containers on shore. Yup, written on a single sheet of paper in chart drawer."

I have an audible plan:
"Honey, your turn to take out the garbage"
Not kept in a drawer.

Greetings,
Mr. k. Fair enough but in the US it has to be written down. I have no idea how THAT is going to make any difference to what people do. Those that throw their trash overboard are still going to do so and those of us who responsibly manage our trash are going to keep doing so.

Why is it that it's perfectly legal to cut up a fish and throw it overboard and call it "chum" but if you cook it first, eat the flesh and throw the head and bones overboard it's called "garbage" and you can be fined for doing so? :confused:

Greetings,
Mr. WK. I guess for the same reason that if you do an oil change in your lane way and drain the old oil back into the ground it came from you can be charged with pollution...I don't make or enforce the laws, simply abide by them.

Why is it that it's perfectly legal to cut up a fish and throw it overboard and call it "chum" but if you cook it first, eat the flesh and throw the head and bones overboard it's called "garbage" and you can be fined for doing so? :confused:
Same reason as you can pee overboard, but if you pee in the head and pump it out that`s a big no-no?

Same reason as you can pee overboard, but if you pee in the head and pump it out that`s a big no-no?

Actually that becomes a very interesting question. In a no discharge zone it could be illegal to pee overboard. I could see that as a very amusing court case.

Greetings,
Mr. WK. I guess for the same reason that if you do an oil change in your lane way and drain the old oil back into the ground it came from you can be charged with pollution...I don't make or enforce the laws, simply abide by them.
If you pumped it down to where it came from it would probably be legal.

Wifey B: Stay tuned for our next episode. When last we heard from OC he was showing us pictures of a beautiful sunrise and calm seas, but he was speaking of strong winds too. How was his day? Was it smooth sailing all the way or was it filled with challenges? That is information you will only get on the evening news in this thread. :)

Came through those sounds the first time back in the late 80's on my 27' sailboat with the single cylinder BMW diesel. It was bad and I didn't know better. Water was flying everywhere. My depth sounder was a flasher and I had my VHF speaker laying on the lazarette next to it. It was lonesome and it didn't help any when the rain joined the wind. Next the VHF quit so I had no contact with anyone if I had wanted to. Kilkenny Creek looked real good (which is hard to do) when I finally got in after dark. The VHF started talking again after I dumped the water out of the speaker. Character building or something.

Sounds like an adventure (what it's called if you survive ).

If you had been a week earlier you would have had beautiful weather and temperatures in the seventies.

Had that weather in the sounds of NC, more important there. Looks like it will be nice going forward.

OK gang. Back to Mr. OC's travelogue please. I'm anxious to see what happens next (good stuff only).

What, no morbid curiosity? :rolleyes:

Wifey B: Stay tuned for our next episode. When last we heard from OC he was showing us pictures of a beautiful sunrise and calm seas, but he was speaking of strong winds too. How was his day? Was it smooth sailing all the way or was it filled with challenges? That is information you will only get on the evening news in this thread. :)

Sorry to disappoint you. Long hard day that just wiped me out.

Made Brunswick (Brunswick Landing Marina ) around 5pm and stuck it to the dock, literally! Wind was gusting and it literally pinned the boat to the dock. Have fenders deployed; come in parallel 15' off; stop forward motion; lean on the bow thruster to stay parallel. Don't think I could have pushed the bow off the dock last night with the thruster.

Nice facility with cheap fuel ($1.49). Staff is professional and had me prepared for the dock sticking exercise. Foraging for food and dinner didn't go quite as well. Local market within walking distance didn't work out and wasted valuable day light. Back to the boat; wait 45 minutes for a taxi to Winn Dixie; wait again to go back to the boat. It's now 8pm and dark out. A command decision is made to avoid unfamiliar surrounding after dark. Maybe my next visit will go more smoothly.

It's dawn of a new day. The wind has fallen out and I will be in FL shortly, provided I can keep dodging this crab pot markers. Here is dawns first light from the East River and the Sidney Lanier Bridge in Brunswick GA.

20160211_065109.jpg

20160211_065942.jpg

20160211_070221.jpg

Ted

Wifey B: The dawn of a new day always makes up for the previous day. So, think perhaps days a little shorter than yesterday in order? The deeper into a trip, the more long days seem to be especially tiring.

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Beautiful sunrise shots! Thanks. "What, no morbid curiosity?" None what-so-ever. I wish you fair, uneventful seas and travels. Karma doesn't need any help from me.

Just a report from NC: Any of you that have gone south HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING. We are framing the roof on my new house and this am it was in the upper 20's with some wind. The fun factor is very low. I am learning to HATE cold. I am staying on my boat with my old cat and the heat pumps are doing ok for now. Weekend lows forecast to be 19F. This sucks. I want to go south. Ran the boat motor for a half hour last night and just layed in the bunk and listened to it purring. But the cat was not purring, freaked her out a little, but she calmed down.

Oh well, no real point to this but to gripe about cold and wind. Carry on.

FYI, it was 47 degrees in Stuart, FL at 8 AM. It's now 10AM and it's up to a blazing 55.

Wifey B: Nice bikini weather here. 81 degrees at 11:18 AM. High today 83 degrees. Low tonight will be 74 degrees. :D

Wifey B: Nice bikini weather here. 81 degrees at 11:18 AM. High today 83 degrees. Low tonight will be 74 degrees. :D
Where's that?...not Ft Lauderdale.....:socool:

Wifey B: The dawn of a new day always makes up for the previous day. So, think perhaps days a little shorter than yesterday in order? The deeper into a trip, the more long days seem to be especially tiring.

Nah, 85 statute miles today, heading to one of my favorite anchorages. Short day Saturday, stopping to spend the afternoon with a buddy.

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Beautiful sunrise shots! Thanks. "What, no morbid curiosity?" None what-so-ever. I wish you fair, uneventful seas and travels. Karma doesn't need any help from me.

Why Mr. RT, I'm truly touched. Maybe you could send Marin a spoonful of your "Good Will Toward Man" (might take more than one ). :rolleyes:

Just a report from NC: Any of you that have gone south HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING. We are framing the roof on my new house and this am it was in the upper 20's with some wind. The fun factor is very low. I am learning to HATE cold. I am staying on my boat with my old cat and the heat pumps are doing ok for now. Weekend lows forecast to be 19F. This sucks. I want to go south. Ran the boat motor for a half hour last night and just layed in the bunk and listened to it purring. But the cat was not purring, freaked her out a little, but she calmed down.

Well that sucks! Guess winter is finally here.

To warm for a bikini, think you should go without. :socool:

Weather conditions are very nice here, sunny and less than 10 knots of wind. Pretty calm at Kings Bay Naval Base. No Boomer sightings.

20160211_101533.jpg

20160211_104308.jpg

20160211_105133.jpg

Love da Boomers!

Ted

I think it was quite rude to post that.:mad:

J/K....

Winter I was Warned About

JThe fun factor is very low. I am learning to HATE cold. Weekend lows forecast to be 19F. This sucks.

Wind chill 30* now. Really cold later. TG for anti-freeze! It is almost 5:00 somewhere. Need to buy milk and bread. Good news is I won't remember this in July.

I think it was quite rude to post that.:mad:

J/K....

No pics, didn't happen.

:)

I think wind chill around here today is in the mid-teens, supposed to be below zero tomorrow and over the weekend.

Hmph.

-Chris

Here is our garbage plan (got it from the USCG site):

Waste Management Plan for Alaskan Sea-Duction

Person in Charge: Thomas and Kay Teseniar
Solid Waste Management Procedures:

If the vessel is within 12 miles of shore or returning to shore:
All refuse materials are put in garbage bags and stored on board until they can be disposed of in dumpsters on shore.

If the vessel is outside of 12 miles from shore and not returning to shore:
All the garbage with the exception of food materials and paper is put in a garbage bag to be hauled to the dockside trash receptacle at trip’s end. Food material and paper generated in the galley are collected in a bucket (or in a paper bag or cardboard box) and the bucket emptied over the side (or the food filled bag or box is thrown overboard) by a crew member.

Crew Education:
At the beginning of each season all crew members are reminded of the refuse discharge laws and shown the MARPOL V placard posted in the galley. The crew is told that it is a vessel policy to stow all garbage materials on board except for food and paper when the vessel is outside of 12 miles. The captain orients all new crew and passengers to the rules governing the vessel including refuse laws and refuse handling.

Captain’s Signature:

To warm for a bikini, think you should go without. :socool:

Wifey B: Well, today wore clothes for the Butterfly Farm and shopping at Caribbean Gems and Shopper's Haven. Could listen to your suggestion and try Orient Beach tomorrow. Just can't walk past Pedro's as the gendarmes occasionally cite and detain according to the club, so a bit of a gamble. As a result the nude beach covers a smaller area than it once did. :D

I like nudity at the right times and places. Living in South Florida you get use to very little clothing. Topless at South Beach. Nude at Haulover if you want. Topless or nude at home. So the fact there's a nude beach here just really isn't a big thing. It's just like any other beach other than bikini off. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom