View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #100
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
So, when the classroom is in attendance, you are their teacher?
Wifey B: My area of specialization was reading. Reading skills are so critical for learning the rest of their lives. That's an area I was and am very passionate about. I started with elementary levels but ultimately was involved with all ages. I even did some adult programs. One area I had fun was getting families to read. Sometimes I just took that as a huge challenge. I didn't care what they read. I've been known to start a post-dinner reading time with a family and giving the father, who was so opposed to the concept, a Playboy to read. I'm proud to say that the last I knew, three years later, they were still reading together every evening. Their son caught up to his grade level quickly too.

I'm sure it's hard to imagine for most here, but there are a lot of kids who live in homes where there are no books and no one ever reads anything. I met fathers who couldn't read well at all. I remember one specifically and as he and I talked privately he had tears in his eyes. He told his kids the truth although I think they really knew. I convinced him somehow that he could do nothing better for his son than them learning to read together. They did.

Ok, back to boats and paragraphs and snakes and snails and little cats with puppy dog tails.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote