Diesel tank cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldenstar38

Vessel Make
Goldenstar sportfisher
I'm at the point I need to mop up/wipe down/clean the bottom of my diesel tank.
What, other than large, absorbent diapers, is a good product to use?

Micro fiber rags you buy in bulk at say Costco.

I would stay away from oil sorbs. They tend the shed a lot.

Last edited:
Old cotton tee shirts parts for wiping down.

For reaching inside the acess ports, I use a sock with the toe cut off. I pull it up over my bicep on "the in the tank arm". It saves you from those tank edges.

Soap, lots of soap, and water. And a pump to circulate it for a few says then pump out the water. Then more clean water ran thru and pumped out for a few days. Then fan dried after being vacuumed out. Simple.

Dawn dish washing liquid with hot water emulsifies diesel and diesel crud .Vacuum out with Shop Vac wet n dry . Then dry out with a hot air gun .

One of those jobs that should take 3 hours but takes 3 days:blush:

"Soap, lots of soap, and water. And a pump to circulate it for a few says then pump out the water."

This works byt there may be lots of oil in the discharge water , and the fines are large.

I use a dedicated pump and put a layer of oil zorb pads in the sink , and pump into the sink.

Dawn in kids water blaster outside if any does escape.

Great suggestions, just what I needed. Thanks to all!

" You may be fined up to $25,000 for using soaps to dissipate oil.""

Or you can be fined for the oil sheen on the water, great choice.

Sundown takes care of a lot of hassles.

Initially citrus base cleaner, then move on to Dawn. When BP is fined at the same rate as we are I will take them more seriously.

Don't forget the fuel lines and filters they may also be contaminated. You don't want to put all that work in then inoculate the tank first time you use the engine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom