Here We Go Again - Offer Accepted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh man, you didn't pay good money for that. Tell ya what, you seem like a nice guy so I'll take it off your hands; sight unseen.

Beautiful vessel.

Thanks.

Very nice. A lot of unique touches throughout it. One question I had. Is your arch hinged or just bolted and easily removed? Easy to see where it connects and also saw the helm information on air draft with it down, so just wondering in what way it comes down. Just a huge factor on the loop and occasionally elsewhere that it does lower. I like that need was considered.

Hinged front and aft so you can hinge it either way. When it is down it is the windshield that is the bridge height.
We need to work out a way to do that with two on board and it is probably pretty heavy. And we will likely need something to rest it on. The boat has done the loop so it may have a rest in inventory. Don't know yet.

Hinged front and aft so you can hinge it either way. When it is down it is the windshield that is the bridge height.
We need to work out a way to do that with two on board and it is probably pretty heavy. And we will likely need something to rest it on. The boat has done the loop so it may have a rest in inventory. Don't know yet.

Very good feature. You can create a way to ease it down, holding it in place so it goes slowly. Depending on it's weight, you could even use a couple of straps with ratchets to ease it down slowly. It may not be as heavy as you fear. Is it fiberglass or aluminum? Many arches on glass boats are aluminum to reduce weight.

I saw other very cool touches on the boat but this was just the one that struck me as so helpful, really easy for the builder but just not done most of the time. That does create a lot of aftermarket business for people like Pipewelders I guess.

The split in the exhaust elbow of the gen is common if it hasn't been upgraded to a stainless unit. Cost is about $325 for the stainless elbow and a couple of hours to put the new one on if it's your first time

It will also reduce your exhaust smell in the ER as well, not sure of the location of your local genset dealer but Northern lights elbows are available in Riveria Beach off the shelf.

Also your arch is like mine they are much heavier than you would think it will take at least three strong souls to lower it (mainly at the start until you reach the tipping point) onto the supports that are made of what ever you wish. Two can raise it but three is better.

When we did the loop the local marina on the Hudson built an arch stand that worked very well made out of 2x4 and wrapped in bubble wrap.

Check to make sure you have an extra wire loop usually under the port side flybridge settee which will allow the arch to fold back without removing the wiring off of the items attached on top of the arch. Your arch is also probably foam filled which makes running new wires a PIA so the first time you feed a line leave a trace line inside the arch it will make it soooo much easier next time.

Enjoy she looks pretty clean

Awesome vessel! Love that interior woodwork. A brute.

Also your arch is like mine they are much heavier than you would think it will take at least three strong souls to lower it (mainly at the start until you reach the tipping point) onto the supports that are made of what ever you wish. Two can raise it but three is better.

When we did the loop the local marina on the Hudson built an arch stand that worked very well made out of 2x4 and wrapped in bubble wrap.

Check to make sure you have an extra wire loop usually under the port side flybridge settee which will allow the arch to fold back without removing the wiring off of the items attached on top of the arch. Your arch is also probably foam filled which makes running new wires a PIA so the first time you feed a line leave a trace line inside the arch it will make it soooo much easier next time.

Enjoy she looks pretty clean

Thanks. We will look for that wiring. We just didn't have the time to crawl around her at initial showing or survey. But it will take three days to bring her from Stuart to Jax, during which time we will start to learn the systems and find out more about her.

A mysterious woman to be discovered! :)

She is to be renamed.

Current name is Bagheera. Our son wants us to keep the name.

But she will be SONAS. Gaelic for Happiness.

Boat is now ours. Insurance was effective as of 12:01 this morning.

Work I am having done in Stuart begins today and will be complete by the 18th. We will start back for Jacksonville Friday 19th.

Congratulations menzies beautiful boat .

Menzies, congratulations! She is beautiful!!

Btw our arch is hinged also, but there's way more weight there than I first expected. After some consideration we decided the hinges are unnecessary. We're not messing with it.

Menzies, congratulations! She is beautiful!!

Btw our arch is hinged also, but there's way more weight there than I first expected. After some consideration we decided the hinges are unnecessary. We're not messing with it.

Well, they may be unnecessary 98% of one's cruising life. However, if one decides to do the Loop they may be 100% essential.

Well, they may be unnecessary 98% of one's cruising life. However, if one decides to do the Loop they may be 100% essential.

I get that. We're trading going down the Miss. for Caribbean time. Arch stays where it is. Just the two radars together with the Sat TV hookup weigh enough, not to mention the arch itself. maybe one day we'll bring it down, but theres plenty of places to explore where we won't have to.

I get that. We're trading going down the Miss. for Caribbean time. Arch stays where it is. Just the two radars together with the Sat TV hookup weigh enough, not to mention the arch itself. maybe one day we'll bring it down, but theres plenty of places to explore where we won't have to.

Well, bringing it down the one time won't be a big deal. All those marinas that de-mast sailboats for the Erie Canal and the loop are right there to assist you. If you were trying to get assistance doing it in some areas they'd just look at you and say "You want what?" But on the Loop route it's such a common practice to have to clear the bridges. Then the other side a marina that has a business just built on putting everything back up.

Menzies

Where was the hull layup done? Some of the later GAs were done in SoCal and then the builder went belly up. The hulls and upper deck shells were picked up by various yards and completed in a variety of very nice looking and interesting ways.

What year were the Luggers put in, look like originals? Nice find and once again shows the genius of Art DF.

Last edited:
Well, bringing it down the one time won't be a big deal. All those marinas that de-mast sailboats for the Erie Canal and the loop are right there to assist you. If you were trying to get assistance doing it in some areas they'd just look at you and say "You want what?" But on the Loop route it's such a common practice to have to clear the bridges. Then the other side a marina that has a business just built on putting everything back up.

Learn something every day. Cool, Thanks!

Menzies

Where was the hull layup done? Some of the later GAs were done in SoCal and then the builder went belly up. The hulls and upper deck shells were picked up by various yards and completed in a variety of very nice looking and interesting ways.

What year were the Luggers put in, look like originals? Nice find and once again shows the genius of Art DF.

Taiwan.

Grand Alaskan 53

The Luggers are the original 2002 engines. So properly cared for should last me a few years before any rebuild.

The outfit doing the work in Stuart are the "authorized" Lugger guys. Aim is to get everything up to snuff before the season starts.

Learn something every day. Cool, Thanks!

Here is a link to a list of marinas that will step a mast for the Erie Canal.

http://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/masts.php

In Chicago, I know Crowley's steps masts, Burnham Park Yacht Club does, Skyway does, Belmont Harbor, and I'm sure there are many more.

There is a marina most use to unstep on the other side but I can't remember it at the moment.

Some may try to do it with manpower, but others will use a crane like they do with sailboats to hold it in place and then slowly let it down. Most any real shipyard can do what you'll need done.

We were privileged to be at the survey and sea trial for this boat, menzies and his lovely admiral invited us to watch the process first hand as it won't be too long before we have to go through it...

Most boats look nice in photos but this one lives up to all the pictures, it is a lovely boat and in beautiful condition, it was great to see what happened and we are more than grateful for being given the opportunity.

We are very happy to hear this one was OK (ish) and that with a small amount of TLC will be in top condition.

We hope you enjoy her and have many miles of happy boating..

Thanks again..

The Luggers are the original 2002 engines. So properly cared for should last me a few years before any rebuild.

The outfit doing the work in Stuart are the "authorized" Lugger guys. Aim is to get everything up to snuff before the season starts.

One of the pluses of Luggers is the basic engine is everywhere. We have Luggers for generators, Northern Lights. Go to John Deere tractors. People will argue whether John Deere or Northern Lights does the best job of marinizing.

OK, 274 miles completed in three days, and we are back in Jacksonville. We will take her over to the yard tomorrow for work to bring her up to snuff.

What we have learned during this "shake down cruise."

174 X 2 engines in a full displacement don't behave the same way as as 350 X 2 in an modified V. Especially when looking to goose your engine to spin in tidal waters!

Don't miss the turn for the ICW in New Smyrna and try the cut north of the Ponce Inlet instead. Not a good move.

Thank God (or Art DeFever) for protected running gear!

Make sure you stand up and pull your pants up after going to the toilet when using VacuFlush. That thang is da bidness.

February weather sure is nice to be sleeping on the boat with the ports wide open and nothing running to keep you cool.

When planning to stay in a marina, check to see that they have full finger docks. Sure will help you avoid using a step ladder to get off the boat!

Halifax Harbor Marina in Daytona is Da Bomb. Just a great location with awesome people!

Cold beer and a hot Jacuzzi at the end of the trip - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Overall, the boat ran great, We kept the Luggers at around 1800 all trip. Engines behaved admirably, 60 psi oil, and 184 temps all the time.

All of the electronics and hardware performed as they should.

A very nice confidence booster for future enjoyment.

Last edited:
Congrats on a successful maiden voyage! You sure covered lots of water each day.

AIS was on - we had family watching and commenting regularly!

Paul, Sounds like you had great fun, glad it went so well, what's left to do in your local yard??

Back
Top Bottom