"anthem of the Seas" stupidity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the latest video from the Captain and Cruise Dirctor of the Ship. Blame it on the Weather???

160+ Knots....oooops.

How many Amp/Hours is that?:rolleyes:

Cruise Ship - A hole in the water in which money is collected

"The two happiest days in a cruise line's life are when they deploy the boat and when it remains profitable years later."

B.O.A.T. - Bring Overeaters Aboard Today (doing one for cruise ship would take too long)

:rofl:
(I was bored at work)

Last edited:
The ship's stars:

The ship rolled 20 degrees.
But when you 11 stories high, it seems like a lot.

Also, the design of these ships, broad beam and very tall, contributes to a snappy roll.

Does anyone here actually think the home office and Captain did not communicate??

They were in the North Atlantic in winter. What would you expect?

Richard

Just watched the video. Wow, those two dudes are in charge? Are you serious? 160 kn winds come from nowhere?

RC said the weather was unexpected but our local weather man said called BS and said the near hurricane force had been predicted continuously for 48 hours.

Hey, can't someone from the forum go and take charge - anyone, please? You can offer much improved performance....

The ship rolled 20 degrees.
But when you 11 stories high, it seems like a lot.

Also, the design of these ships, broad beam and very tall, contributes to a snappy roll.
On the trip after ours last year on Explorer OTS, the ship was reported as hit by strong winds,taking on a 15 degree list for about 10 minutes, with some pax on deck 4 getting down on their knees to pray(perhaps to avoid falling over too :)).
On what amounts to a mobile floating hotel it`s easy to forget you are on a ship, which will do "ship things", like encounter bad weather and behave accordingly. Ships heading east from Australia cross the Tasman sea between here and NZ, it has a well deserved reputation for weather.

We just had an interesting thought we were discussing too. I get on a plane and I don't even think about the issues the pilots face or the decisions, I just put my trust in them.

However, if I got on a cruise ship, I would think about all of that. The difference is that I know nothing about flying, but I do have knowledge of operating a boat and the decisions to be made, including following the weather carefully.

That also brings about a sense of helplessness as I have no control over the operation of the boat. If I disagree with a decision, I have no input. I like control. That's probably part of why I'm licensed and have worked hard at learning, that I want to have knowledge to exercise control properly.

Think about it. You get in a taxi and you pay attention to how the driver drives. You have knowledge of driving.

So, that said, I would think in many ways it is easier for a non-boater to take a cruise. They don't think of the issues, don't know what a captain does. They also don't have the knowledge of what various weather and sea conditions can do. So when things are less than perfect, most of us would probably realize the ship could easily handle it, but I can see those with less knowledge thinking it was all about to end.

Something to be said about being naive, uninformed and a bit ignorant. But then when things go astray, that works against you.

People operating boats and planes, prefer to be in control. That's why I "sign off" when on a plane or ship where I'm not in command.

Something to be said about being naive, uninformed and a bit ignorant. But then when things go astray, that works against you.

Yep. Works for me, most days!

But then I'm not flying planes or running cruise ships. I expect more from those guys, and generally get it.

I have quite a bit of experience going to sea on up to 400 foot vessels...I know that even those little toys are in a different class than the vessel in question and what she can/can't handle. Without experience on this size vessel, I could begin to think I would have relevant input to the crew.

I have a feeling this might be similar to the El Faro incident in that the exact location, size and intensity of the storm from the onset was considered "skirtable" by a vessel of this class. Not sure of any more details than that. Trying to go through one side may have been universally agreed upon...right up until the point where the size, intensity and location decided to surprise a few folks.

It would be hard for me to believe the cruise lines don't have their own forecasters on staff or on retainer...so believing what the local Ch 6 guy says doesn't hold much water with me over what the cruise lines would have access to. To say a storm is going to form somewhere over the Atlantic over the next few days...and weather planning for ship routing is 2 different animals.

Having been in a full gale on a Holland America ship crossing the Tasman I am sure they know exactly what is coming. I read it into the Captain`s reports, it`s more what they don`t say. I figure they make a point of not telling the pax of bad weather coming, to not create anxiety, and let the deteriorating conditions tell the story. Hanging wads of vomit bags in the stairwells is an unmistakable indicator :eek:.

People operating boats and planes, prefer to be in control. That's why I "sign off" when on a plane or ship where I'm not in command.

I don't ever sign on when on a plane. But I can't sign off on a ship. We go on fishing charters and I'm still very connected to the boating aspect of it. But then I walk into a store or restaurant and see things from a business standpoint they could improve. I keep quiet. I guess perhaps I can sign off 70% or maybe 90% but there's a part of my brain that won't sign off.

I have a hard time believing 160 knots. The ship is in too good of shape for that IMHO.

On a cruise aboard the "Radiance Of the Sea' in the Caribbean some years back when the weather forecast was such we were diverted to Aruba and airlifted to Texas. Good call. Perhaps not if the continuance resulted in this Video contained in the article.

North Sea video shows EXACTLY what it is like to be on board a ship during a storm | Daily Mail Online

We all have had similar situations in relation to our respective boat size and size of the seas, Not friendly.

Al-Ketchikan Marben 27' Pocket CRUISER

Back
Top Bottom