New Member w/ Re-power Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does the boat have enough hull clerence to swing a larger diameter wheel?

Haywayn

Suggest you take a day and drive over to Oxnard and talk with Tony Athens. The initial phone or email call will be a data, hopes and dreams exchange with him. As already mentioned, props move boats. IMHO that is your starting point, not the engine.

The issue with all of this that would scare the crap out me is the point that RTF touched on: the engine has sat unused for over 15 years. So, its only done 100 hours? But its condition, and what it may well cost you once you own it, really depends on how it has been stored. In this case low hours is problematic, not an advantage.

Get your Cat go-to guy on the case to take a good look at it, fire it up when ready to do so, and test it as thoroughly as you possibly can before handing over anything more than a deposit.

Nothing to add to other posts about things needing to be changed, possible benefits etc. Other than it will end up costing you twice as much as you expect even if the there are no R&M issues with the 375HP engine.

Last edited:
Prop clearance is just one of numerous issues. Bigger diameter to utilize added hp will need new taller strut and larger shaft, bigger prop/taller strut means different shaft angle neccessitating new engine installed angle requiring new engine beds and mounts. More hp needs more raw water flow requiring bigger thru hull and strainer. Basically a complete repower. All of this and you still have an antique engine. Any modern inline 6 that would fit would be better.

dumping all that money into an old boat is unlikely to ever get a return. Why are you so sure the old engine is toast?

From my files:

A client had a 37' Angel sport fisherman style boat powered by a pair of Iveco strait 6s. He found a "can't pass this up" deal on a pair of Cat 6s that would give him an extra 5 knots at cruise. Next he found a boat yard mechanic who could do the swap for a satisfactory fixed price.
Old story, but once into the swap the mechanic found that it wasn't as easy as he had figured, so he asked for more money, then when my guy wouldn't add to the pot, stopped work. My guy pulled the job, went to another mechanic, and came to me for the lawsuit.
The swap was done, including: new stringers so the wider stance of the Cats would fit and the whole works could be moved fwd, so the shaft angle would stay the same with the bigger shafts and taller props, new exhaust runs for the larger diam outlets, new floors above for the bigger, relocated access hatches, and so on.
What had been originally estimated at $40k went well over $100k, and recovery by way of the lawsuit was limited, as the original guy had next to nothing.

Ask Tony Athens as suggested he has done hundreds of repowers and will know all you need to know including price and feasibility.

From my files:

A client had a 37' Angel sport fisherman style boat powered by a pair of Iveco strait 6s. He found a "can't pass this up" deal on a pair of Cat 6s that would give him an extra 5 knots at cruise. Next he found a boat yard mechanic who could do the swap for a satisfactory fixed price.
Old story, but once into the swap the mechanic found that it wasn't as easy as he had figured, so he asked for more money, then when my guy wouldn't add to the pot, stopped work. My guy pulled the job, went to another mechanic, and came to me for the lawsuit.
The swap was done, including: new stringers so the wider stance of the Cats would fit and the whole works could be moved fwd, so the shaft angle would stay the same with the bigger shafts and taller props, new exhaust runs for the larger diam outlets, new floors above for the bigger, relocated access hatches, and so on.
What had been originally estimated at $40k went well over $100k, and recovery by way of the lawsuit was limited, as the original guy had next to nothing.

I can picture that. Both cost and sad scenario for all involved. My repower was with new JD 6068's that were about $60k including wiring harnesses etc, so I probably got close to 100k all in. I don't know exactly as it was part of a lot of other work. So maybe $40k with free engines is possible?

I was able to keep existing shafts, struts, props but did spend $9k on gearbox overhaul/rebuild. The OP will not be able to avoid any of these. I needed a new exhaust system, replaced water intake filters etc. Once you start you do find extras and you need to keep going, and should avoid short cuts. Do it right, just wear the cost.

Back
Top Bottom