Thread: Knots vs MPH
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #86
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I traveled 100 statute miles at 10 mph = 10 hr travel... unless of course bucking wind or current.... or maybe having wind or current with me... or maybe having one with me and one against me. One way or another it is not too un-similar as traveling X nautical miles at X knots with wind or current in similar or opposing directions... whether the directions be for or against me.

Personally I see no fault or problem using statute miles and mph or using nautical miles and knots for keeping track of distance/speed/time stats... as long as in which ever combo I begin a leg of the journey my mind/numbers remain using that particular calculation combo... throughout.

In either combo chosen the variables of wind and current can easily be factored in to produce time schedules that a particular journey may require.

Tiz not rocket science. With today's high tech assistance items it's not even a big deal to dial things in. Back in the days of compass, time clock, paper chart, boat speed to get closely dialed in was a bit harder to accomplish, and, in my opinion a lot more fun. Although it did require some work, the past-days personal-enjoyment-outcome of having been successful in calculations by arriving on time and in one piece was priceless!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote