question: boat cards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Electronic boat cards. I am in an anchorage now with perhaps 200 boats. My guess is that all but a handful have physical boat cards (excluding the charters of course) and only a handful have electronic cards. But then we don't have an internet connection in most anchorages.

Use to be the card contained a photo of the boat, now many contain photos of the couple that own the boat.

I don't know that we've ever met anyone who had physical boat cards, although that may be because we've never asked or offered similar.

-Chris

..........There's this thing called a magic marker. Line out the wrong address and either stamp in the correct or ignore it entirely. ...........

The sarcasm is not really necessary and doesn't help you make your point. You could have been much nicer about it.

In truth, printed boat cards as such aren't really necessary and I could just write everything out in pencil on a scrap of paper.

If I'm going to go to the trouble to hand out boat cards, they will look professional and not have things scratched out or scribbled in. If I can't do it right, I'll just not do it.

I don't know that we've ever met anyone who had physical boat cards, although that may be because we've never asked or offered similar.
-Chris

We have met people with physical boat cards, in fact, that's where I got the idea to make some.

I think it's mostly folks who cruise out of their home area, even if only for a few weeks.

One of the things we like about cruising is meeting people. We have exchanged boat cards, let our dogs play together, gone to dinner with folks we've met and even gone shopping with them (ones who have a vehicle available).
Sometimes we never see them again and sometimes we will run into them days or weeks (and many miles) later.

Tut tut Janice, you are in big trouble :).
Physical cards are good, I`ve received one, from a visiting TF member. Just never got to do my own, probably more suited to full or substantial part live aboards.

I am in an anchorage now with perhaps 200 boats. My guess is that all but a handful have physical boat cards (excluding the charters of course) and only a handful have electronic cards. But then we don't have an internet connection in most anchorages.

And if it were 1992 again, there would be few, if any, boats in your anchorage with electronic charts. Today, they all have them. The digital technologies sort of do that when there is a compelling advantage.

I fully admit, we're in the beginning days. That's the part of technology where I like to be.

So look at the attached picture - it's real showing where I'm anchored right now. The white triangular cursor is my location. It's white because I'm not transmitting it now from my iPhone (my boat uses DeLorme inReach to update my location to the location server). The dark blue icons are "friends" who I've exchanged electronic boat cards with. The light blue icons are boats with electronic boat cards that I haven't exchanged cards with. I can only get very limited information about light blue icons - their boat's name, hailing port, and the boater's names (which can be limited to just first names). Light blue icons only show up within 5 nm of my location. Tap on a boat icon and I can get more info on them.

What I'm working on right now is an integrated anchor alarm within this display. But it goes a step further. It'll optionally publish the amount of rode I've let out, my alarm limits, and where my anchor is actually located to the location server. So when I leave my boat, I have a remote anchor alarm because inReach is still updating my location.

But there's even more...

Since the anchoring specs are also published, I can view the specs of the boats around me if they allow. I can see where they are in their swing and even set a contrasting alarm on them to warn me in the middle of the night if they're dragging. When I arrive, the display assists me in figuring out my swing area and how it'll fit in with the surrounding boats even in low wind situations where boats are not at the end of their rode.

Since it's 5 pm, none of the boats around here are moving. If they were moving, that dot in the center of their icon would show their course. Tapping on them gives their speed, etc, along with access to their electronic boat card. All of those icons show them as anchored.

I'm not saying this will be the winner in the electronic boat card battle that will surely take place. But something like this will be as common as electronic charts in another 20 years. Maybe 5.

Attachments

• IMG_4129.PNG
    IMG_4129.PNG
    86.6 KB · Views: 196
Well maybe a little different for us up here in the PNW, when we meet someone we like or think we should stay it touch with the get the unredacted version of our card. Of course being in the printing industry before retirement it was easy, just ask a bunch of people in our yacht club that received courtesy free boat cards because they were friends ....:thumb:. It was so easy to do.......here is the redacted version of our cards.......:flowers:

Attachments

• RocheCard.jpg
    RocheCard.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 193
Why do boat cards need to look professional?

Aren't we all acting as amateurs when handing out personal boat cards? I would hope some other boater wants my card because we had a good time, or related or need info at some point...so any card that allows that info to be retained should be OK....

Hope I am not getting graded on how good of a captain or person I am by my boat card.

Like too many TF discussions....take what you need and leave the rest...

Last edited:
My daughter did something I thought was cool on her professional business card. On the back, she printed the QR code for her business' website. Scan it with a smartphone and it takes you to her site. Nice touch.

http://www.qrstuff.com/

Maybe those with websites could benefit from that idea.

Last edited:
Nice card Rochepoint. If you are going to do something, do it well, as you have.

Physical cards are good, I`ve received one, from a visiting TF member.

Yup. Me too. I've only received one as well. I'll bet from the same person as you.

Maybe I'll make some up.

My daughter did something I thought was cool on her professional business card. On the back, she printed the QR code for her business' website. Scan it with a smartphone and it takes you to her site. Nice touch.

QR Code Generator: QR Stuff Free Online QR Code Generator And Creator For Brochures, Print Advertising, Business Cards & Stickers

Maybe those with websites could benefit from that idea.

Now there's an idea I like! A simple boat card that links you to your blog. Still on the the fence about electronic boat cards. Leave my AIS on at anchor and feel that anything I want the boat 400' away to know about me, they can figure out from that. Will be interesting to see what the acceptance rate of both is over time.

Ted

Be sure to include your MMSI on your card!

Easy radio contact on the water.

Back
Top Bottom