PT35 (Performance Trawler)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John; where are your propane tanks located? A photo perhaps? What engine/engines are in your boat?

The tanks are under the port side flybridge seats with the vent on the outside of the flybridge. I am not able to get to the boat until Saturday so will try to get some photos then. We will be on board for a month cruising Sydney harbour and doing some easy maintenance along the way so looking forward to catching up with family and friends goingto the fish markets and hanging out in some nice bays along the way.

John

Sorry Bensjoy I forgot to mention I have twin 135hp N/A Perkins that at 1900hrs still keep ticking over very well. Just a little smoke when they are started. I am often away from the boat for up to 3 months at a time but so far they start 1st press of the button each time.

John

Propane set up

Here are the photos promised. We are now onthe boat for another 3 weeks

Attachments

• 20130308_044020.jpg
    20130308_044020.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 20130308_044004.jpg
    20130308_044004.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 20130308_044124.jpg
    20130308_044124.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 153
Very interesting, especially the tag which shows the tanks were added after market. Food for thought, though I just ordered a new electric cooktop.

Propane set up

You are right Jennifer , they are after market in that the local authority need to check the system after a certain length of time and ours are now coming up to that time. We will get the relevant authority to recommend a licenced gas fitter to check our system to ensure it conforms to specification.

Pt Trawler

I would like to contact any other owners of a pt35. Mine is a 1985 sundeck model with a single lehman 225hp engine.
Hi Ben?,This is a query from a old post. re your 35 PT, I am checking on a 1993 36 PT Sundeck, Does it have a full keel, or at least reasonable protection for the underwater running gear, also what is bridge clearance with everything folded down, Hope you can help, I know it is a newer model but it looks identical to yours, Cheers Colin

I purchased my 1985 PT35 in 1991. She does not have a full keel which would offer propeller protection. The propeller is exposed. If you navigate carefully, this shouldn't present a problem. I am satisfied with the speed that the single 225HP Lehman provides. I usually cruise very economically at 7.5 to 8.5 kts but can do over 10 kts. I feel that if it had a full keel I wouldn't be able to attain these speeds. The interior design is very livable. I believe the newer versions were built in China. Mine was built in Taiwan. Where is the PT35 you are interested in located? I believe I saw one listed in a Florida boating magazine for about 110K but don't remember the year. I believe is was built after 2000.
I'll try to email you a photo of the underbody of mine.
Ben

This thread has been a gas.
Interesting "gett'in into" other boats.

Hi I am buying one this week.1981 PT 38' sundeck model.Will talk. Need information.Mine has twin 135 Perkins..Tomt223

Hello, It looks like this has not been used in a few years. I will give it a try. I just acquired a PT 35 sundeck. It is in bad shape, it was left setting for 10 years. it is on the hard and someone left the aft hatch open so I have a lot of water in the bilge and the pumps don't work. WHERE are they located. HELP

Hi, re the PT 35, I didn't buy one in the end, however Ben on bensjoy@msm.com will very likely be able to help, good luck with the project,I think it will be a big one, Cheers Colin.

I have two automatic and one manual. The primary is below the galley, there is a hatch there. The second automatic and the manual are located in the engine room, just aft of the forward bulkhead. Easy to find, pull up floor boards.

Interestingly, mine require the bilge pump breaker to be on, not hard wired to the battery.

Bilge Pump Locations PT35

I'm sure no two PT35's have bilge pumps installed the same. I have one low profile Whale automatic under the galley sole, one forward of the engine in the engine room and one pick up strainer and float switch mounted under the transmission with a remote self priming pump. I also have a manual Whale Gusher mounted at the lower helm.
What year is your PT and how is she powered?
Best of luck with her.

Bensjoy
Temporarily boatless for two months
Puerto Escondido, Mexico

I have two automatic and one manual. The primary is below the galley, there is a hatch there. The second automatic and the manual are located in the engine room, just aft of the forward bulkhead. Easy to find, pull up floor boards.

Interestingly, mine require the bilge pump breaker to be on, not hard wired to the battery.

One of ours is in the engine room as described by Eric. I know there is a pick up for one under the hatch in the galley but the actually pump might be there. I just can't picture where the second one is. The pick up for the primary is at the hatch in the sole of the aft cabin. At the base of the stairs.

The main pump has two switches that have to be on. (This is the setup on our boat but again they vary!) One on the main panel at knee height at the nav station and the other on an accessory panel above the nav station next to the engine controls.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Had an idea for you. The overboard discharge for my bilge pumps (both) is on the port side basically under where the side door is. If you can find this discharge point from inside the engine room you can trace the hoses to the pumps.

Again good luck.

And congratulations!

A big thanks

First of all I would like to thank all of you for the help. A little background on the boat. It came from California in 2005 and was never put in the water in Florida and set in the boat yard for the last 10 years. The owner got hurt soon after getting the boat. I have my work cut out for me.
It is a PT35 sundeck with galley up. The first thing I had to do was pump a lot of water out. It was up to the bottom of the engines. It has twin Perkins 210. The port engine is frozen. Most of the wood in side is in fair shape, by owning a marine trader I know how that goes. The owner replace all the side windows with Plexiglass, so I will have to have new one made. I feel the I can Put lot of labor and some $ into it and have a very nice home. I got the boat for less then 5k.
I do have a few other questions, with twins what is the fuel burn at cruse of 10 to 12 knots?
Is there a possibility of finding who made the windows?
Thanks for every thing.

we have those engines and cruise around 8.5 knots at about 4 GPH. Going much faster is going to fire up the turbos and you will burn a lot more fuel.

Did they leave in the window frames? We replaced one of the pieces of glass and it was quite simple to remove and was not expensive to have made at a local glass shop.

sounds like a great project.

No He took the frames out and filled in the area with wood strips and added the glass to the out side. And of coarse he used 5200 to hold every thing together. I may just make some frames out of stainless I do have a good tig welder.

ugh sorry tisit. your idea should totally work. I can take some photos of ours this weekened and post for you to see how they are on our boat. they are pretty straight forward.

Hi All. Well I have been going over the boat making list of thing to get done.
A few questions. What are the fuel tanks made of? do they have any problem leaking?
I would welcome any help that you may have of any known problems. I know about the windows and will be working on them. I have a survey from 10 years ago and the boat has set for the last 8 years with nothing done. that's where I'm starting. I got about 100 gals of fuel that need to come out.

here are window photos. the fixed piece of glass is just glued in there. There is supposed to be a rubber piece glued over it but we haven't put it back yet since we replaced the sliding piece. :whistling: The fixed piece pops out and then the sliding piece can be removed.

Attachments

• 2016-02-14 09.10.25.jpg
    2016-02-14 09.10.25.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 2016-02-14 09.10.38.jpg
    2016-02-14 09.10.38.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 2016-02-14 09.10.49.jpg
    2016-02-14 09.10.49.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 2016-02-14 09.11.14.jpg
    2016-02-14 09.11.14.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 2016-02-14 09.11.21.jpg
    2016-02-14 09.11.21.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 2016-02-14 09.11.54.jpg
    2016-02-14 09.11.54.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 2016-02-14 09.12.00.jpg
    2016-02-14 09.12.00.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 209
For a different tack, consider using it for a cabin instead (seriously).

If one engine runs there's a generator and hot water. Pour a pad on someone's back forty and continue with a car port roof, and solar panels, rain catching? Bring in a backhoe one day to lay you out a septic field?

Find some buddies to share the clubhouse, and if enough of us rescue these rotten old woodies, "...they may think it's a movement.." as Arlo'd say.

A trailer park for the ages, boys.

For a different tack, consider using it for a cabin instead (seriously).

If one engine runs there's a generator and hot water. Pour a pad on someone's back forty and continue with a car port roof, and solar panels, rain catching? Bring in a backhoe one day to lay you out a septic field?

Find some buddies to share the clubhouse, and if enough of us rescue these rotten old woodies, "...they may think it's a movement.." as Arlo'd say.

A trailer park for the ages, boys.
Nothing is new under the sun.;)
Barcelona harbor in New York ( Lake Erie) has a line up of about 10 or more old boats, trawlers, tugs, etc. They are perched on the grassy shore. Some with nice decks built around them. We think they have water, electric and sewer run out to them. Not a bad idea, when all else fails.:socool:

here are window photos. the fixed piece of glass is just glued in there. There is supposed to be a rubber piece glued over it but we haven't put it back yet since we replaced the sliding piece. :whistling: The fixed piece pops out and then the sliding piece can be removed.

Thanks Pineapple Girl. That's a start and It will help. At least I know have a starting point. :dance:

Tisit I'm sitting on my boat and was wondering how things are going! How about an update?

Reply back Pineapple Girl

Tom. 38 PT sundeck 1986...lauralee.Just changed out fresh water pump,fixing things.replacing things,waxing,sewing new front side window cover...Heading to the PNW Islands soon..Love my boat always something to do..How about you????

Attachments

• 20160528_173712.jpg
    20160528_173712.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 77
Tisit I'm sitting on my boat and was wondering how things are going! How about an update?

Hi Pineapple Girl. Well other then getting it cleaned up and checking out the motors that about it. I'm just trying to find the best way to pull the port motor for overhaul. Any Ideas or the best way to do it in the boat.

I also made the mistake letting other know I do marine repairs.

Perkins???

My starboard 6.3544M 135hp perkins was rebuilt in the boat theyou are designed that way cylinder sleeves or somthing..it was done by previous owner have paper work... What make ??? What was it doing ???Both of mine are always little white smoke..My mechanic says no worry it's a perkins..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom