Recommendations for a wood boat surveyors in SW Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I think most boaters think a well-designed wood boat is terrific as long as it's someone else's wood boat.

Never a more true statement. ... Thankfully, I've got no exterior wood.

Look what I found!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Wish it had the previous owners listed, but sadly no.
I was in Vietnam the year this boat was built. In early 1969 I took and week of R&R in Hong Kong and traveled to Kowloon. Is it Karma!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 74
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.427546206130.221712.746761130&l=fa7289d7ce

These are delignification pictures due to electrolysis in the wood. The wood turns soft and punky and powdery and runs deep inside. Notice it is wood bubbling-frothing out under paint.

Surface shredding of wood fibers is mostly on the surface of the wood, or can be in splits - cracks in the wood. And you wont see that on painted wood.

These are good pics, so I saved from the site.

Attachments

• woodrot1.jpg
    woodrot1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 72
  • woodrot2.jpg
    woodrot2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 87
  • woodrot3.jpg
    woodrot3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.427546206130.221712.746761130&l=fa7289d7ce

These are delignification pictures due to electrolysis in the wood. The wood turns soft and punky and powdery and runs deep inside. Notice it is wood bubbling-frothing out under paint.

Surface shredding of wood fibers is mostly on the surface of the wood, or can be in splits - cracks in the wood. And you wont see that on painted wood.

These are good pics, so I saved from the site.

Thanks for the pics. Pretty ugly stuff. Hope the repair was not to $$$.or difficult.
I'll post some "my" hair pics next week. It is surface only no bad wood underlying.

Post 35 prompted a couple of requests for the movie title I mentioned.
It is " The Angriest Man in Brooklyn ".

Bob

Thanks for the pics. Pretty ugly stuff. Hope the repair was not to $$$.or difficult.
I'll post some "my" hair pics next week. It is surface only no bad wood underlying.

Oh, not my boat, just examples to look at.:)

That's good. I would not have a good day if we found that on my boat. ARRGH. !
Two days of surveys Tuesday, wish me luck.

Be wary of any "marine electrician" who uses the term "electrolysis". No certified electrician or corrosion analyst will use that term as it refers to chemical changes in an electrolyte (water) due to the passage of electrical current. What you are really dealing with is either stray current or galvanic current. If they use that term .... hire someone else.

Greetings

If someone uses the term "electrolysis" to get the point across to someone else who does not have a chemistry degree or has no more knowledge and experience than the typical toy boat surveyor then the word is good to use. It is the message, not the chemistry that a boater should care about.

Page 23:

http://www.mcclavemarine.com/text%20pdfs/Corrosion.and.Corrosion.Protection.Wooden.Boats.pdf

"The problem is sometimes referred to as “electrolysis rot”. Because “delignification” is such a tongue-twister, “Cathodic Wood Damage” is probably the best term to describe the phenomenon.

Thanks boatpoker, I will heed that advise.
Being a former dirt person please excuse any faux pas I may commit. I am not really that scary. At least my my wife does not think so.

Greetings

If someone uses the term "electrolysis" to get the point across to someone else who does not have a chemistry degree or has no more knowledge and experience than the typical toy boat surveyor then the word is good to use. It is the message, not the chemistry that a boater should care about.

Page 23:

http://www.mcclavemarine.com/text%20pdfs/Corrosion.and.Corrosion.Protection.Wooden.Boats.pdf

"The problem is sometimes referred to as “electrolysis rot”. Because “delignification” is such a tongue-twister, “Cathodic Wood Damage” is probably the best term to describe the phenomenon.

Awww. The attached looks like the very thing I hoped to get some 40+ posts ago. Thanks RTF, as always your answers/posts are spot on. Now I will get out a pen and paper and get a algebra tutor ( my wife ) and digest this monster.
Interestingly, the previous survey did mention delighnification and catholic wood damage. Not that the boat had any but it was a very real possibility and needed to be watched carefully.
I have said it in earlier posts and it is important to say it again.
This forum's collective wisdom and ability to communicate effectively is IMO one of the best resources to boaters who wish to stay informed.
Thanks to all who participate.
So:thumb::thumb::thumb: to all of you great guys.

Greetings,
Mr. BB. You're welcome but I cannot claim authorship. It suddenly appeared to me from an expert outside source...I will pass on your thanks.

giphy.gif

AYBC approved!

Hull 28

We purchased our alaskan almost a year ago. Our first year has been amazing. We love her and want to make sure she continues through the seas for a very ;)long time.

We purchased our alaskan almost a year ago. Our first year has been amazing. We love her and want to make sure she continues through the seas for a very ;)long time.

Great pic. Send some more please. :socool:

Greetings

Page 23:

Merely pointing out that no qualified tech would use that term and if someone does use that term it is likely that they don't really understand whats involved. The link you provided also contains the proper definition of electrolysis.

Last edited:
I did a search on this forum for the word "electrolysis" and found dozens (I'm sure there are more) of posts using it to describe stray current corrosion, galvanic corrosion, delignification, dezincification, poultice corrosion, crevice corrosion and a few others. Obviously these people did not know what they were talking about and neither did anyone else. If we do not use the correct terminology the message is lost.

This has turned out to be a perfect example of just how a thread can turn into a "Total train wreck".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 77
Thanks Eric. I will investigate your suggestion. There is actually a pristine and I do mean pristine GB32 moored across from us and the guy that takes care of it is a about 70. He has been with this boat for 27 years and knows wood gb's like no one else except Bob Lowe. I am very lucky because he has just about every source for parts covered. I know he used to work, design and build woodies in the 50 to 70 ft range both sail and power. My go to guy and proving to be a super friend and a great set of eyeballs. He has been all over Grace and is impressed with her current condition. I would buy the boat based on his inspection but I need that "rubber stamp" of a certified surveyor for insurance purposes. I'll post some pics of his boat tomorrow. She is a 1969 model.

Bob

Greetings,
Mr. BB. "Total train wreck"....Not even close. You should have been here...aw, never mind but trust me, this thread is mild.

Greetings,
Mr. BB. "Total train wreck"....Not even close. You should have been here...aw, never mind but trust me, this thread is mild.

That's not fair, and you cast the bait, so I'm biting. Where should I have been?

Greetings,
Mr. BBoat. I'll apologize up front. I can't remember any specific threads I could direct you toward due to the fact my memory is pretty well non existent. Maybe one of the other members would care to suggest one or two.

I can fully appreciate the frustration you may be experiencing when you ask a simple question and the answers devolve into non related territory but as I mentioned, the thread drift in your case is mild and was caused by, for want of a better description, "nit picking".

I reviewed your thread in it's entirety and it pretty well stays on topic until the late 60's. So, take heart. It's not all bad. At least you're not being tortured on anchors. That, my friend, will surely come.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom