IRELAND TO THE MEDITERRANEAN, Part 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following on from the post from Omaha beach we travelled a little way along the coast to see the artificial port created for the D day landings at Arromanches.
2 ports were built but the one off Omaha beach was so badly destroyed in a storm in late June ,44 it had to be abandoned and all movements transferred to the 2nd one built just off Gold beach at Arromanche and named Port Winston.
The Mulberry harbours were assembled at Portland Harbour (see page 4) and towed by tugs at 4.5 knots across the channel and assembled on site by the Royal Engineers, designed by a Welshman Hugh Ivory Jones they were built of 6.000 tonnes of concrete, consisting of 33 jetties joined together by metal linkspans (photo)and 10 miles of floating roadway.

They were intended for 3 months use but were actually in service for 6 and received 2.5 million men, 5000.000 vehicles and 4 million tonnes of supplies.
The photo,s show the remains of the port and a damaged one washed up ashore. You can get an idea of their size by the people walking on the beach beside them.

There are many cemetery,s and remembrance places here as is sadly the case of a bloody battle field.

The château at Cruelly was Field Marshall Montgomerys HQ during the Battle of Normandy.

Incidentally the Frenchman Eduard Gaillout was the first person in Europe to invent condensed milk, the site of his creamery is now a laboratory site for Nestle milk productst.

Last edited:
Unfotunately the photo,s refused to upload so I,ll try again?

Attachments

• DSCN1454.jpg
    DSCN1454.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1460.jpg
    DSCN1460.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1461.jpg
    DSCN1461.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN1462.jpg
    DSCN1462.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1463.jpg
    DSCN1463.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 81
Finally the last post on this long thread, we,d like to thank everyone who,s followed us on our travels from Belturbet;
A very special thanks to our wonderful cruising companions Pat and Géraldine Butler on Cool Runnings for being such great craic. True friendship is priceless.

There was to be an ebook published all about the Journey called, ENCORE, but my Toshiba laptop chose the worst time to throw a leg out of the bed and blow up and it will now be published for the start of next years cruising season.
Forgive the plug but there are 2 other ebooks on Amazon, How To Cruise Between Two Seas and The Wolfs Lair by Geoff Woolley if you want an Xmas stocking filler.

What now ?
Our Birchwood is getting serviced and an early spring clean and put up for sale. We,re already planning our next adventure to be called Ireland to the Mediterranean Part 2, and were busy studying with maps, pilot books and sending enquiries to tourist offices along our proposed route for things to do and see.

On behalf of Pat & Geri, Evelyne and myself wherever you are in the world we wish each and everyone of you and yours A HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a PEACEFUL, PROSPEROUS and HEALTHY NEW YEAR and we look forward to you joining us next year on our travels.

Attachments

• DSCN1474.jpg
    DSCN1474.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1475.jpg
    DSCN1475.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1473.jpg
    DSCN1473.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1472.jpg
    DSCN1472.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN1466.jpg
    DSCN1466.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1467.jpg
    DSCN1467.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I received an enquiry from El Meldrum in Australia and as much as I,ve searched I can,t find it in order to send a reply.

If a moderator, or any other kind person can help to put us in touch I would be most grateful.
If the person sees this message, I can be contacted at geoffwoolley@rocketmail.com
Thank you all for your help.

Thank you for following our journey, If you enjoyed this post and would like to read the full story I have just published today, 07/02/2016, a book called 'ENCORE' on Amazon Kindle.
A paperback version will follow shortly.
Kind reviews would be welcome.
Thank you everyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom