Replacing existing bulbs with LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I'm investigating replacing most of my onboard lighting with LEDs. I've looked at the Imtra site and realized that they have LED bulbs that fit in existing fixtures. My overhead lights are Halogen...they are hot & use considerable power.
Has anyone gone through this exercise for both interior lights and nav/anchor lights?

Walt
confused.gif

We use the Zenon interior lights that have proved as bright yer far cooler than halogen.

The LED are great , but as nav lights , esp if you go out beyond the COREGS line they may be illegal.

Intl. light standards are far tougher than USCG "standards".

I would be esp concerned with the anchor light for the non M>M boats that do anchor out..

10W in a really fine housing with glass fressnel is MINIMUM.

On holiday weekends we use a 25W in our Perko (rated for 85ft intl boat) to let the drunks have a better chance .

On our Motor Sailer we use the anchor light PLUS the spreader lights are on illuminating the deck till 1AM , (wind up timer), in any East Coast anchorage.

FF

I have switched my former 2 pin halogen with 30Led 2 pinners-great resluts. I also like light strips in my galley, a 110v screw in bulb for my engine room, and my anchor light with a 5 led unit works fine-stuff*miniman moves* on your e meter. PLUS no heat

"and my anchor light with a 5 led unit works"

But can it be seen the legal distance , and can you PROVE its legality in a marine application?

After you get driven thru this will surely be THE topic a for the Admiralty Liars for Hire.

Caviat Emptor,

Back
Top Bottom