Volvo penta tamd 41p-a alternator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USNA81

Anyone know where to find a replacement for a Volvo penta tamd41p-a extra alternator?
Volvo has discontinued the original and having hard time finding an exact replacement that fits exactly.

Also any info on the charging priority on the extra alternator for this engine?
I have 4 house batteries on one side and a single starter battery on the other side of engine. Does the extra alternator typically combine with the main alternator and charge all 5 batteries together or does the extra alternator only charge the single starter battery and keep it isolated.

I also have battery combiner on board.
1997 Camano Toll
4 house batteries
1 starter battery
Thank you

I don't know about the "extra" alternator (I know it was an option) but you should be able to put the Volvo part number into a search and find replacements. Mine is a Valeo (that may not be spelled correctly) and eBay had many replacements available.

Unless it's something really unusual, an alternator shop should be able to fix it.

I have a1996 Camano troll and the previous owner had wired 4 batteries (3 deep cycle and 1 starter battery wired in series(I Think) on the hush bank and then a separate deep cycle located separately on the Port side of the boat. Would there be any reason to mix the 1 starter battery with the other 3 deep cycle batteries on the house bank? I would think the Starter battery would be isolated on the port side and all the other 4 batteries wired in series would be deep cycle.
I have a battery combiner on the boat. The extra alternator has corroded and unusable and trying to figure out the reason the batteries are mixed as well as the priority of the charging alternators and if the combiner will charge all batteries with just one alternator now that the second alternator is inop or do combiner a only charge like kind batteries in a bank? Not 100% sure, but It seems that all batteries where charging when the single alternator was running without the extra alternator attached. I can't get hold of the previous owner to answer why it was wired like this and Volvo doesn't really now either except said the 1st alternator is designed to charge the starter battery, but not sure if a second- extra alternator is installed too. Thanks for any input
David

If I remember correctly, our 2005 Camano had 1 start battery on the port side charged by the original Volvo alternator. The 4 house batteries on the starboard side were charged by the additional alternator. I don't remember the output of the additional alternator, but when the stator failed I had it rebuilt by a local shop. They told me it was made by Delco and parts were readily available.

Take this opportunity to put in a high output alternator. Google "high output alternator for Volvo Penta" lots of choices.

Try ARCO Marine. No affiliation but happy customer

Back
Top Bottom