interior spaces on trawler types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have to laugh. The marina where I was hauled out on Monday, has a wireless remote for there 75 ton travel lift. The remote stopped working as they were moving my boat across the yard. There is a reason all the controls on the remote are on the travel lift in a manual version. Wireless remotes in critical applications will be deemed reliable when there are no manual controls on the unit or a second wireless control.

Ted
I am a little slow to respond but we should all know there is no 100% reliability of electronic or mechanical devises. The wireless unit I use only works is slow speed for docking and if it loses a battery(there is ample warning of low power) it stops and you use the primary helm. These units do not replace the helm they augment it. Not much different than if your bow thruster stops working. How many boats have rammed docks and other boats using failed mechanical linkage?

Sounds like you compromised stateroom for engine room....

Not in vertical space in the stateroom, but in square footage for sure. The engines are under the salon, so the stateroom vertical space was a compromise of the location of the pilothouse. Still, if I had a magic wand, I would increase the stateroom size (both height and overall square feet) for sure.

Over the bed it is about 5.5' (from the floor) and 3.5' from top of mattress. the walk-around part is about 6.5' all the way around the bed.

Below is a bad picture that doesn't show anything about what I am talking about. :rofl: (In the second pic, the stateroom is directly below the pilothouse and first door on the left down the hall)

Attachments

• 4857430_20141111123652350_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4857430_20141111123652350_1_XLARGE.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 4857430_20141111121959382_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4857430_20141111121959382_1_XLARGE.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 81
I'll be perfectly honest with you guys. When we first looked at this boat, I never thought we would use the galley seating, but since Day 1, we use it almost exclusively and rarely use the salon sofa. Go figure.... But the view is much better up there.

I'll be perfectly honest with you guys. When we first looked at this boat, I never thought we would use the galley seating, but since Day 1, we use it almost exclusively and rarely use the salon sofa. Go figure.... But the view is much better up there.

We use different seating depending on the time and circumstances. If we're underway, we all like to see where we're going. If we're relaxing at night or watching television, then it's the salon. As long as the weather allows we like to sit on the bridge but we either get quiet or come inside at dark or 9:00 PM, whichever comes first, so as not to disturb others.

I run our Europa 60/40 up on the fly bridge. 99% of the docking from there. I do not like the starboard orientation of the helm while docking. I was at the boat show last weekend and found my dream boat the 65' Fleming. This boat has a salon that is not choppy and a pilothouse comfortable for a crowd. But most importantly it still has an entertainment sized fly bridge. They wanted 4.1 million. I offered our boat + 25k. They countered at 4m so I offered them our dinghy also and one of my children and then the price actually went up:)

For entertaining and my wife happiness we have been happiest with the Europa floor plan.

One of the things builders(not of trawlers) like about IPS and other Pod drive systems is the freedom to rework the living spaces. There is a company working on a 200HP OB engine capable of high torque aimed at commercial use, so what about a trawler with the engine room on the swim platform? Why my boat could have had two more sleeping compartments.

Last edited:
One of the things builders(not of trawlers) like about IPS and other Pod drive systems is the freedom to rework the living spaces. There is a company working on a 200HP OB engine capable of high torque aimed at commercial use, so what about a trawler with the engine room on the swim platform? Why my boat could have had two more sleeping compartments.

Definitely. I brought this concept up recently. Rosborough offers outboard models. Just need to go bigger.

Working on outboards in the water isn't always fun.

Do you think these 45 footers with three OBs on the stern have taken that into consideration(redundancy)? Nah they just want to go fast.

Have you actually seen them sprawled over the unhooded motors? :socool:

I have responded to 3 motor vessels as well as many 2 engine vessels for assistance or towing..

Anyone that thinks twins or trips make them invincible....good luck!!!!

And as usual...there is always PM.... ;)

Last edited:
Is it ever fun?

Some boats do have decent access at least but others make it nearly impossible to get to on top of any waves.

Few if any...just the nature of the beast unless you have an inboard OB well.

I just cannot imagine a large trawler or cruising type boat using outboards.

It's not that I'm against outboards, I own several of them, I just think that a well designed boat, suitable for more than a weekend outing can be designed with a out of the elements engine room in a area not otherwise needed for living.

My boat's engine space is approx 44" high. Not great but not bad once you remove the salon hatches. That area is not deep enough for a berth, and I have three staterooms already, so what other use could the space be???

Then there's the fact that those engines add approx 3,000 pounds of ballast weight down low, something to think of stability wise.

Also, you think working on your diesel is a PITA, just wait till you've got 300 horsepower scrunched into something the size of a good suitcase. Then hang it over the back of your boat, in the elements, waves, etc...

Nope, I'll keep my engine room if you please.

Last edited:
Where big OB diesels may find use is in some of the fishing fleets where real hours are put on a boat and down time is costly. An ill OB can be swapped out for a loner in hours while serious trouble with an inboard can blow a restricted season.

Actually I have been aboard a 60 ft or so motor sailor that had the ER in the bow.

She had 2 circumnavigations (then) with only great results.

As diesels now weigh less than half of the DD 6-71 it becomes practical for even smaller boats.

Narrow space , narrow engine with some folks dream "standing headroom" , easily done.

One of the things builders(not of trawlers) like about IPS and other Pod drive systems is the freedom to rework the living spaces.

Yes.

Although it seems many of the earlier builders didn't really do that. Some just offered IPS or Zeus drives as an option, without relocating engines, without reclaiming newly-available space that could then be used for some other purpose.

-Chris

Yes.

Although it seems many of the earlier builders didn't really do that. Some just offered IPS or Zeus drives as an option, without relocating engines, without reclaiming newly-available space that could then be used for some other purpose.

-Chris

As someone pointed out above too, while space is created, sometimes it's not all that usable or at least not for additional staterooms. And as to your example, the boat we have ordered comes with twin IPS 1200's (900 hp), or with twin MAN 1000's or 1200's. The layout of the boat in general is the same. The bulkheads fore and aft of the ER are in the exact same places. The only significant difference is in the ER area and more of that gain is attributable to the smaller fuel tanks with the IPS than to the drives. Where you see the difference is a boat designed from the start to be an IPS or Zues boat. Sabre, Delta Powerboats, some Princess models, Sessa, and a few other brands are, but most are not.

On my daily searches and dreaming I was interested in the Pearson on another topic mainly because of the single level salon and master suite areas. I also came across a mid eighties Chris Craft Yacht Home. Similar configuration with V-drives, most have gas engines. For someone with bad knees and back I like most of the important areas being on 1 level. Any thoughts on the Yacht Home? Chris Craft construction in general?

On my daily searches and dreaming I was interested in the Pearson on another topic mainly because of the single level salon and master suite areas. I also came across a mid eighties Chris Craft Yacht Home. Similar configuration with V-drives, most have gas engines. For someone with bad knees and back I like most of the important areas being on 1 level. Any thoughts on the Yacht Home? Chris Craft construction in general?

Pictures? Year?? CC made some rugged, comfortable boats - back when. CC Yacht Home is their late 20th century rendition of up-town houseboat, I believe. Yes, they were constructed well.

Respecting other's opinions as much as possible, I will never understand the animosity toward flybridges. Truly people see the world differently than I do but, with the exception of people who boat in cold climates, some of the reasons put forth against flybridges are laughable.

Fresh air and exposure to nature when you want it; if not, zip up the canvas or go to the lower helm . . . or put on some frickin' sunscreen or a heavier coat. Enjoy total piece and quiet . . . we can hardly hear the engines. Fantastic sight lines . . . certainly better than the raised pilot houses I've been in . . . and the ability to see much farther on the water, including navigational hazards. Acres of room for entertaining. Monitors to tell us if there is a malfunction somewhere.

None of this, I thoroughly realize, will change a single made-up mind . . . and I'm not trying to. But as for me, you can have my flybridge when you pry my cold, dead fingers . . .

(Sister ship; I don't have a comparable angle on ours.)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 60
Chris Crafts have been hit or miss for decades...each year and model deserve close inspection....generally a pretty decent boat and I have seen some nice yacht homes.

As far as flying bridges, pilothouses and all other space utilization....IT'S ONLY PERSONAL OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

I can see and argue against every point ever made. Until you are a boater, either pro or recreational and have run hundreds ofdifferent kinds of bots...just how much is that opinion worth to anyone but yourself?

Maybe nothing to the general boating population and yet 100% for the person posting it. And that's OK...post it...but realize it may be an opinion of 1 of 10,000...or even more....:D

In my opinion, besides being a crappy place to drive a boat from for the reasons I've already stated, a flying bridge generally ruins the lines of an orherwise good looking boat. Grand Banks is a good example of this. There have been photos posted here in the past of a GB that's had its flying bridge removed. What a good looking boat as opposed to the clunky, top-heavy appearance of the stock vessel.

And I believe at some point Healhustler expertly renoved the flying bridge from our own GB36 with the graphics programs he uses. Far, far better looking boat in my and my wife's opinions.

And if we can't hear our engines, we've got a serious problem on our hands.:)

May or may not apply to 99% of other boaters and certainly not the GB marketing department.

May or may not apply to 99% of other boaters and certainly not the GB marketing department.

Very true. But I found it interesting how many GB owners I know personally or are/were on the GB owners forum who upon seeing the photos of the GB that had its flying bridge removed and a proper house top put in its place remarked how much better looking and balanced the boat looks over the stock configuration.

Not that these folks would want the flying bridges on their own GBs removed as a lot of these folks like and use them. We wouldn't want ours removed either. While we both feel it's a bad place to be driving a boat from it is a nice place to relax, read, have a meal, etc. once we get to where we're going. And on the rare occasions we have guests they sometimes like to ride up there while we're underway if it's not too cold for them.

So you're absolutely correct in that it's a good feature to design into a boat from a marketing perspective. However we think the majority of the flying bridge designs are pretty grotesque aesthetically. Two notable exceptions are Krogen, who very cleverly designed it as an element of the aft end of the raised pilothouse, and Fleming who did the same thing on some of their models.

Last edited:
In my opinion, besides being a crappy place to drive a boat from for the reasons I've already stated, a flying bridge generally ruins the lines of an orherwise good looking boat. Grand Banks is a good example of this. There have been photos posted here in the past of a GB that's had its flying bridge removed. What a good looking boat as opposed to the clunky, top-heavy appearance of the stock vessel.

And I believe at some point Healhustler expertly renoved the flying bridge from our own GB36 with the graphics programs he uses. Far, far better looking boat in my and my wife's opinions.

And if we can't hear our engines, we've got a serious problem on our hands.:)

There are sound, sight and odor/smell surveillance systems for that if nervousness prevails... while being on bridge. :thumb:

That first scare you and wife had when on bridge, being new to boating, and your wife then went below... must have been a corker!! I sure don't blame you for liking to pilot from below (for any reason you have given)... just wish I (and other TF members) could help you "see da Light! - LOL :D

Happy Boat-Piloting Daze! - Art :speed boat:

There is also a low corner I bonk on a lot. I hate it, but we had to compromise stateroom space for much greater living space. It works for us. :)

Hmmm, Perhaps the mattress is starting to sag. I'm glad it works for you, Tom. :D

Last edited:
There are sound, sight and odor/smell surveillance systems for that if nervousness prevails... while being on bridge. :thumb:

Clearly you have no clue as to the realities of warning systems. The reality is that electronic and electrical components are designed to fail first in order to protect their fuses or circuit breakers. Water pump impellers are designed to fail first so as not to over-stress the waterfow sensors.. Engines are dsigned to seize first to avoid endangering the integrity of the oil pressure sensors and alarms. And so on.:)

The vast majority of problems with a new model jetliner that cause delays or cancellations are due to faulty warning sensors or systems. Most of the time troubleshooting finds that the airplane component or system is just fine: the hiccup is with the warnng system associated with it.

Reducing the incidents of delays and cancellations with a new model of plane like the 787 or A350 is more about fixing or redesigning the warning systems than the airplane itself.

Having experienced numerous incidents of sometimes serious problems occuring without the activation of a warning system-- be it with vehicles/heavy equipment, airplanes or boats--- I learned a long time ago not to rely on warning systems alone. They're nice to have, but like the equipment they protect they are susceptible to not functioning when you need them to the most.

So I, like the operators, pilots, and boaters I have come to respect the most over the years, have learned to augment automatic warning systems with other means of being aware of what's going on. Among these are sound, smell, and feel.

Clearly you have no clue as to the realities of warning systems. The reality is that electronic and electrical components are designed to fail first in order to protect their fuses or circuit breakers. Water pump impellers are designed to fail first so as not to over-stress the waterfow sensors.. Engines are dsigned to seize first to avoid endangering the integrity of the oil pressure sensors and alarms. And so on.:)

The vast majority of problems with a new model jetliner that cause delays or cancellations are due to faulty warning sensors or systems. Most of the time troubleshooting finds that the airplane component or system is just fine: the hiccup is with the warnng system associated with it.

Reducing the incidents of delays and cancellations with a new model of plane like the 787 or A350 is more about fixing or redesigning the warning systems than the airplane itself.

Having experienced numerous incidents of sometimes serious problems occuring without the activation of a warning system-- be it with vehicles/heavy equipment, airplanes or boats--- I learned a long time ago not to rely on warning systems alone. They're nice to have, but like the equipment they protect they are susceptible to not functioning when you need them to the most.

So I, like the operators, pilots, and boaters I have come to respect the most over the years, have learned to augment automatic warning systems with other means of being aware of what's going on. Among these are sound, smell, and feel.

Paranoia strikes deep! :eek: :D

Last edited:
One's needs change over time too and sometimes aren't what we anticipate. I've seen parents anticipate their adult kids joining them regularly and they seldom do. However, I've seen other kids bring friends constantly and join and then many grandchildren. As to regular cruising partners, so much depends on your friends and their current lives. Our friends love to join us but most are limited by work. If you're older you may have retired friends who are free to join you but just aren't into boats.

Then there's anticipating your own aging. Likes and dislikes change, health changes, and capabilities change. I know one couple that sleeps in their salon and never goes to the lower deck because she isn't able to go up and down steps. They added a wet shower to their day head. They still love to boat but it's helm galley, dinette, salon, aft deck. Except for the engine room might as well be one deck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom