My 3 favorite books about boats that I have read more than once are......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
Series are allowed, e.g. the Hornblower books.

My choices:

1.* The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst
Crowhurst tried to fool the world during the first solo circumnavigation race by calling in fake position reports as he meandered around the Atlantic.* Almost pulled it off, except that he went mad and jumped off the ship clutching the ship's clock.

2.* The Long Race
All about the aforesaid first solo round the world race.

3.* Hornblower series
The standard by which all other such books should be judged.

Kind of to the history side somewhat.

To Rule the Waves, How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World.***Interesting look at how so much of the world was influenced by a small island country..

Six Frigates.* A look at how we became a naval power and the politics involved in building our navy.

The Bolitho series.* Also a good one that is styled somewhat after Hornblower.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 10:35:28 AM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 02:33:40 PM

I don't read much nautical stuff but still like Chapman, boat building and design books.
I like Skiffs and Schooners by Pete Culler, Voyaging under Power and numerous boat building books. I read mostly paperback fiction and prefer authors that write about near history. One of my favorites is the series that starts w The Outlander by Dianna Gabaldon.
Other favorites are: Wilbur Smith, John Grisham, Ken Follet,Larry Mcmurtry, Michael Chrition, Lee Child, David Baldacci, Sidney Sheldon and even some Louis L'amour. I teased an old girlfriend for reading so many paperbacks. She read in grocery checkout lines and elevators and was VERY smart. I asked her why she didn't read great literature and she paused for a moment and then said***** ..."I like stories". So she got me hooked*** ...very hooked I'd say.

Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling. First read it as a kid and still like it.
They Were Expendable by W. L. White, the story of the PT boats in the Philippines at the beginning of WWII and the evacuation of General MacArthur by PT boat from Corrigedor
The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet, the story of family boating trips in BC waters in the 1920s and 30s in a 25' cruiser

Books I would like to read again but haven't had the time yet are:

Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea by Robert K. Massie
A Glorious Way to Die by Russell Spurr, the story of the Kamakaze mission of the battleship Yamato

Curve of Time - great book as well.* Thanks for the other titles.

Delfin--- Are you interested in books on boating or life in general (but tied to boating) along the BC coast? If so I have a number of books I can recommend for you.

All of the above, and I always appreciate excellent book reviews.

Delfin---- Here are some I can remember that you might enjoy...

Fishing with John by Edith Iglauer, The true story of a well-known*New York magazine writer who meets, marries and fishes with a BC salmon troller.* Total change of lifestyle for her.* This book is where I learned about Stanfields, the Nova Scotia clothing manufacturer that makes all sorts of apparel for fishermen, loggers, etc.* To this day I often wear a Stanfields long underwear top as a shirt--- John in the book did and it made a lot of sense.

Spinners Inlet by Don Hunter.* Humorous stories of life on a Gulf Island.* Fiction but based on fact.* A very fun read.

Spilsbury's Coast by Jim Spilsbury and Howard White.* The true story of growing up on Savary Island before WWII and staring a very successful radio company and traveling throughout the islands between Campell River and Prince Rupert servicing them.

Whistle Up the Inlet by Gerald A. Rushton.* The story of the Union Steamship Line that served the BC coast from the late 1800s to the 1950s or so with a fascinating fleet of "pocket ocean liners."* No tugs or bow thrusters here, the skippers got their coastal steamers up to the crude docks of the coast settlements by themselves.* The writing is not as good as it could be, but Union Steamship was such a major contributor to life along the coast that it's worth learning about.

Keepers of the Light by Donald Graham.* The story of the construction of the principle lighthouses around Vancouver Island and up the Inside Passage and the people who manned them.* You'll learn why many of them went mad (it was the mercury baths the lights floated in).

The Light on the Island by Helene Glidden.* Back in print after many years this is the true but somewhat embellished story about Helen's growing up at the Patos Island lighthouse between 1905 and 1913.

Once Upon an Island*by David Conover.* Conover was the Army*photographer who on an assignment during WWII*took a photo of 19-year old*Norma Jean Baker working*at the Radioplane Munitions Factory in 1945.* His photo of her*appeared on the cover of*a magazine and he convinced her to have him take some modeling photos of her.* The rest is history.* After the war Conover and his wife purchased an island in the Gulf Islands with the dream of building a resort.* The resort was an eventual*success and the island is Wallace Island, now a BC park.* The book chronicles*David and his wife's struggles to*build the resort and*get it going.**Out of print for many years, it is apparently back in print.* He also wrote a later book called One Man's Island that is a more introspective look at his life on Wallace.

Low Man on a Gillnetter by J.P. Tracy.* The story of a newbie crewmember on a*small coastal gillnetter.* It's been a long time since I've read it but I recall it did a great job of**captureing this unique profession and the environment they fished in.* This was one of the first books I ever bought after moving to the Seattle area in 1979.* It's long out of print but you can find used copies on the internet.

Raincost Chronicles, Volumes 1 through (I think) 18.* Started as a university project the Raincoast Chronicleshave become a BC coast literary institution.* They are collections of stories, poems, personal experiences, photographs,*and art covering virtually every aspect of life along the BC coast, from the huge Martin Mars firebombers on Sproat Lake to tales of logging and fishing in the early 1900s.* They have been published as collections, for example Raincoast Chronicles First Five.* Fantastic reading for anyone interested in the life and history of the BC raincoast.* I don't believe they are still being published but the stories in them are timeless.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 10:40:19 PM

Another great book of BC Coast Stories: Full Moon, Flood Tide by Bill Proctor

Full Moon, Flood Tide is no conventional cruising guide, but an indispensable companion for travellers around northern Vancouver Island, Fife Sound, Wells Passage, Blackfish Sound and Tribune Channel. Maps illustrate the places Proctor describes, in an order suitable for visiting by boat. Brimming with coastal lore and sprinkled liberally with Yvonne Maximchuks line drawings, this fascinating volume pays tribute to pioneers who wrested a livelihood from forest and sea even as it makes a passionate plea to preserve the wilderness.

I just remembered a book I definitely wouldn't want to miss.

Alaska Blues*** by Joe Upton.

It's a story about a fisherman (combo boat) and his girlfriend through a season of gillnetting and trolling in SE Alaska. Lots of wonderful pics and high adventure on the quest for fish and a lifestyle almost gone. If you read it don't be put off by the bad weather and high seas as they had a rather bad luck w the weather.

Doug wrote:
Another great book of BC Coast Stories: Full Moon, Flood Tide by Bill Proctor

Full Moon, Flood Tide is no conventional cruising guide, but an indispensable companion for travellers around northern Vancouver Island, Fife Sound, Wells Passage, Blackfish Sound and Tribune Channel. Maps illustrate the places Proctor describes, in an order suitable for visiting by boat. Brimming with coastal lore and sprinkled liberally with Yvonne Maximchuks line drawings, this fascinating volume pays tribute to pioneers who wrested a livelihood from forest and sea even as it makes a passionate plea to preserve the wilderness.
Is this the same Billy Proctor from Echo Bay, BC? I read a book co-written by him chronicling his years growing up with his mother on the BC coast. Can't recall the title.

Attachments

• mothership08.jpg
    mothership08.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 86
Marin wrote:

I believe it is.
Here is Billy Proctor's other book. Well worth the read.

"The Heart of the Rain Coast - a Life Story" (co-authored by Alexandra Morton)

This book examines a harsh yet rewarding life growing up on the BC coast. Just Billy and his mother utilizing all the abundance of the coast.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 4th of February 2011 07:32:58 PM

Mary Palmers book, Jedediah Days, published by Harbour Press. It is true. About Jedediah Is near Texada in BC

For a good laugh, The Boat That Wouldn't Float, Farley Moat. Funniest book I've ever read.

Yes Carey,* The same Billy Proctor.* Thanks for passing on the title of his other book.

Another Farley Mowat book on my must read list is "Grey Seas Under"Serious salvage business in the North Atlantic.

Hungry as The Sea by Wilbur Smith.

As the Sailor Loves the Sea by Ballard Hadman.

By far the best boating book I have ever read is Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual.* This book contains a wealth of information that even the experts can learn from. Every boat should have a copy..............Arctic Traveller

If anyone is into history, I recommend "The Longitude Prize" and "The Lighthouse Stevensons". Not local history, but good reading just the same.

David, Dava Sobel's book Longitude is also excellent.

Adrift: 76 Days Lost at Sea, by Steven Callahan: http://www.amazon.com/Adrift-Seventy-six-Days-Lost-Sea/dp/0618257322
Absolutely amazing true story of him being lost at sea for well, 76 days. Amazing read.

And

117 Days Adrift, by Maurice and Maralyn Bailey.
http://www.amazon.com/117-Days-Adri...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297386213&sr=1-1
Also an amazing true story of this couple adrift at sea by themselves for 117 days.

Both the above books are a amazing testimony of the human spirit and many other things.

Also,

Maiden Voyage, by Tania Aebi, first american woman to solo circumnavigate. Great read.
http://www.amazon.com/Maiden-Voyage...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297386537&sr=8-1

Woodsong wrote:

And

117 Days Adrift, by Maurice and Maralyn Bailey.
http://www.amazon.com/117-Days-Adri...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297386213&sr=1-1
Also an amazing true story of this couple adrift at sea by themselves for 117 days.
Small world.* We interviewed this couple the day they came off the fishing boat (I think it was Korean) that picked them up and brought them to Honolulu.* I was running camera and shot them coming off the boat and then the interview we did a little later.* Amazing story, the little bit of it that they related to us.* I didn't know there was a book about it.

wow marin- that is amazing. You should get the book- amazing read though slightly dryer than Steven's Adrift but truly, both are amazing, amazing stories and I cannot imagine what either of them went through.

Am I correct in remembering their boat was attacked by a whale?

both of them (the baileys and callahan), I believe went down due to hitting a whale, yes.

The Cheechakoes by Wayne Short; Albie, & Billy, The Sky Pilot; also by W. Short; In the Wake of an Alaskan Mailboat; by Dennis Sperl, and of course; The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet, are all books to remember!

-- Edited by LadyMJ on Friday 11th of February 2011 01:04:43 PM

LadyMJ wrote:
The Cheechakoes by Wayne Short; Albie, & Billy, The Sky Pilot; also by W. Short;
I bought these books about 7 years ago while spending an afternoon in Baranoff
Warm Springs. Teriffic books about SE Alaska in the 40s.
Thanks for reminding me.....I'm going to drag them off the shelf and read them
again. Here's a little blurb on Wayne* The Short Boys: Cheechakoes no more «

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 11th of February 2011 05:44:58 PM

when i was younger i read a lot, now i dont seem to have the time or patience for it.
there is a danish writer/sailor named Troels Kloevedal, he wrote a bunch of books about his travels around the world in a sailboat.
i am not sure if the books were translated but i would guess so.

i like stories also and for a few years all i read were short stories, can warmly recommend W Sommerset Maugham' short stories.
He was rumored to be the highest paid writer in the 1930's.
He did travel extensively and was able to describe in details many of the places he visited, often as part of a really good story.

Marin wrote:

Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling. First read it as a kid and still like it.
They Were Expendable by W. L. White, the story of the PT boats in the Philippines at the beginning of WWII and the evacuation of General MacArthur by PT boat from Corrigedor
The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet, the story of family boating trips in BC waters in the 1920s and 30s in a 25' cruiser

Books I would like to read again but haven't had the time yet are:

Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea by Robert K. Massie
A Glorious Way to Die by Russell Spurr, the story of the Kamakaze mission of the battleship Yamato
Finished A Glorious Way to Die this weekend.* Excellent and a great primer on why Japan lost the war.* Started The were Expendable, very interesting.* No conclusions yet but a short read.* Since this was written in 1942 it is particularly interesting in understanding the mindset before the outcome was understood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom