Marine trader 1977 mast spec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tardis

Hi everyone!
My husband and I recently bought an old beat up 40 ft Marine Trader and have been slowly renovating her. When we got her she had a old mast that was just sitting on the floor beginning to rot. So we sanded varnished and re wired and now its ready to go up. The problem is that since we've never seen it up we're not exactly sure where the cables go and where to anchor it to the decks. Does anyone have a picture/old specs of there mast that they can share?
Much appreciated!

You are not lucky enough to have the four anchor points remaining on the boat? Mine, on an '84 FuHwa 39, look like these. The two port side "chainplates" and turnbuckles are shown, starboard opposite hand. Maststep has a pinned joint for dropping the mast. The mast's "truck" casting has eyes for a choice of upper mounting positions.

Makes you feel any better, this mast is nearly totally rotten and due for replacement as soon as I get my hands on the boat!

Thinking about tossing the whole idea and buying an aluminum tube arch; I don't want the cables to snag me.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 78
mt mast

what style of a marine trader did you get ? double cabin, sundeck :confused:

Sounds like the perfect time to do it right.

Is your boat a tri-cabin style? If not, what follows will be of no use to you.

My C&L 44 came with a little mast mounted on the aft overhang of the upper deck. It had stays, but when I rigged them, it was clear their only purpose was to interfere with passage to and from the upper deck.

The replacement mast is taller, stands on the lower deck and is attached to the edge of the upper deck. That is the only support that it needs. If I am lifting something heavier than a person (hasn't actually happened yet) I can rig temporary stays opposite the load.

I had it made so that I can lift my Laser (under 200 lbs) or a person from the water at the side of the boat. I used aluminum water pipe, welded the old spreaders onto it, ran all the wiring inside. It also supports my Radar, anchor light, steaming light, deck floodlights, flag halyards, plus it gives the boat that "trawler" look.

Think about that before you replicate a design that a Previous Owner wisely discarded.

Last edited:
koliver has given me good ideas and made important points: 'before you replicate a design...' I particularly like the idea that the mast can be cantilevered, unstayed and still be useful. Unfortunately, nothing lines up handily on our Revel...yet. I take the point that the solution should be true to its 'trawler' look. There's a used aluminum arch for a powerboat for sale that might do me, but the collection of angles is more the province of 'other' powerboats. I wonder how important it is that I can strike everything down to the top of the fiberglass flybridge railing?

Back
Top Bottom