View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #55
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Pilothouse started as meaning an enclosed area from which to operate the boat. In practice that area may not be fully enclosed but just separated and it is generally raised from the level of the salon. It may be raised a foot or half a deck level or to another deck. On smaller boats it is typically raised a few steps, on larger boats it is raised much like a split level home and on larger boats it get's its on level.

My point is I don't think any two pilothouse boats are the same and the important aspect to me seems to be is there a separate area provided for managing and controlling the boat. Really is it more than just a helm stuck on the same deck as the salon and galley.

The term becoming popular is RPH or Raised Pilothouse, meaning it is raised and should give a better view. Also the steps give some separation from the living area. I think raised pilothouse is what most people equate to pilothouse.

If I was looking for a 50' boat for cruising, I'd want a bit of a cross. I want my lower helm to be easily accessible from the galley and salon. However, I also want it to provide a good driving view and level and I want it to provide the space needed for a pilothouse. I also want at least 6'6" of headroom beneath. To me a Bayliner 4788 is a great example. Four steps up. Good view. Plenty of space for gathering and socializing. Plus also a flybridge to enjoy good weather.

The boat we're getting for the loop isn't a pilothouse. Among other things, it can't afford the added height. However, we're able to achieve much the same. Two steps up from the salon and shares the level with the galley and dinette. It has a good line of sight and it has space for controlling the boat. Not as much as a true pilothouse but plenty and can always use the dinette table. It also has a flybridge helm.

I contrast this with a Hatteras 60 MY. It is not designed to be driven from the lower helm. In fact, I haven't even seen one of the current version with a lower helm. They did show one in their offerings but it was just a steering wheel and a couple of instruments and controls stuck over in the corner. The vision was also limited by bow rise and the shape of the windshield. This has been an issue on all current Hatteras MY's so generally none have lower helms. Back to their SF background. So what they intend is for you to have a fully enclosed pilothouse on the flybridge. I don't personally like that. I don't like giving up so much of the flybridge and don't like not being able to drive in the open on beautiful days. I also don't like not being able to drive adjacent to the galley at other times. To some it's the perfect option and their ideal design. To us, it just doesn't work. It's not right or wrong, just preference.

Separation becomes a very personal issue. Some cruising couples like to have many separate areas to spend time, apart. Others like to always be close. Some cooks like privacy and solitude in the galley, not accessibility by others. Europeans were very disturbed when Americans wanted the walls removed from galleys. In the world of larger boats, your cook was in the galley and had to be separated from owner and guests. It's part of their formality and they extended it to smaller boats with only owners aboard. Galleys on any boat under a certain size would always be down. Well, US subsidiaries and brokers started complaining. So they started US builds with open galley on same level as salon. They figured we'll appease our American customers. They were shocked when Europeans started wanting the American version. One of the new trends is galley aft, just inside and adjacent to aft deck dining.

So, back to driving station. Some like privacy at the helm, a well separated pilothouse. Apart from meal preparation, apart from socializing guests. You can come sit with them sometimes if you'll behave. Spouse welcome but sit, read your book, and don't harass me.

So many factors. I equate the privacy for the captain in some ways to offices over the years. I had one great employee who always closed his office door when he was working on a project. I never closed my office door in my life when I was alone except for a phone call that needed privacy.

Last, I guess nighttime operation becomes an issue in helm locations and design. A separated Raised Pilothouse generally provides the ability to shut out lights from the boat interior. But then other arrangements could easily have a screen added or just don't allow lights to be turned on in the galley and salon if moving at night.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote