Can somebody recommend a good entry level Engine book please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicagoq

Veteran Member
Background: I am a computer guy throughout my life, knows very little about engines, been research on youtube, internet, but couldn't get a full picture. e.g. I don't know what's the difference between engine sleeve and liner? Are they the same thing?

Objective: Hope someday to own and live on a boat, would like to start learning about engines.

Question: Should I start with a gas engines? Or go straight to diesel engines? Could someone please recommend a basic, entry level book please? Better yet, is there a series of books from basic to advance?

Greetings,
Mr. c. I can't recommend any particular literature but there is a plethora of information available on line. Your local library should have an automotive section as well. That being said, one can only read so much and at some point you have to get your hands dirty. Check with your local high school. They may offer night courses in small engine repair. A course or two should give you a bit of appreciation for how things feel (torque for instance), how things come apart and more importantly how they go back together.

If you're starting from square one, diesel or gas shouldn't make much difference. Baby steps...

Why not sign up at the local college for a vo tec engine course? Hands on stuff and in this day and age where some can't find their hood latch, these courses are a godsend for many.

While you're at it, buy a 17' bow rider that needs some tlc. Plan on doing your maintenance and clean up. Make friends with a boat mechanic too. There is all sorts of fun stuff out there that won't require a smart phone or IPad.

Welcome to the glorious party called DIY.

"Marine Diesel Engines" by Nigel Calder is a great book that starts you from scratch. It includes the theory of operation as well as troubleshooting aimed at the boat-owner who wants to maintain and fix their own diesel engine.

Richard

Consider "Marine Diesel Engines" by Nigel Calder. He mentions gas engines.

Richard, you beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

Damn, now Bruce in in the game!

Nigel Bruce...no. Wait...what was the question again?

3fbb6a16a80c717b52dc25d2b7d81929.jpg

Start off with something elementary...

3 contemporaneous independent recommendations for Mr. Calder, he`s doing well! Starts with a simple intro, how and why they work, lots of diagrams.

All you need to know is suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

If you've never had any hands on mechanical experience, I'd suggest buying a cheap, old small outboard engine. Strip it down, and rebuild it. You'll gain many skills which will be very useful, and you'll have a outboard for your future tender that you will know inside out.

For most folks that are not mechanics , all you might be doing is a lube oil and filter change.

Flushing and replacing antifreez , and replacing fuel filters.

And replacing sea water pump impellers .

Da Book you will need is the big service manual for your specific engine. $75 to $100 or so.

This will usually have photos .

Trouble shooting and repair or rebuilding is not usually what most owners will do, gas or diesel.

A good book may help you decide which style engine your future cruising would be best served with.

Last edited:
I'll add my endorsement of Calder, and also of taking a class or two on engines at your local CC, so you understand gas engines as well as diesel. Barring that, check out your local library, most will have a variety of choices and the price is right! You will end up with a gas engine of some kind, an outboard on a dinghy and/or in one of your first boats as main propulsion.

Operating and maintaining an engine underway is a completely different animal than in a shop or a manual.

FF is correct in preventative maintenance is pretty textbook stuff. Based on a calendar or engine hour component and what many boat owners tackle...but when something stops working, or there is an alarm or sounds funny...they have to have someone else in the equation.

Repairing and tinkering with engines usually comes from over a lifetime of doing it, even in the PM only type stuff and picking up a little here and there along the way. It is as much about knowing what kind and how big of an oil leak is OK till you get around to it, or where that sound is really coming from and what takes to fix it, and even what tools and how to use them correctly to get the job done.

Please don't get me wrong....but the books are really best for their trouble shooting or explaining why a problem has occurred or is reoccurring. Without sitting the book down next to an engine (or you having the engine or component clearly in your minds eye), reading about it I am not sure has enough of a transfer till you roll up your sleeves.

Bottom line is as has been suggested, start working on stuff and following a manual, or take a hands on class, or hand around a friend who does it all the time.

My son was a tinkerer from the toddler stage...grew up building and rebuilding computers in his room, got a job out of high school as a mechanics helper and within a couple years went from computers to rebuilding heavy equipment and the entire asphalt plant with just minor guidance...picking up required skills such as welding along the way. In just a few years he skyrocketed past me and most in knowledge of all sorts of complex mechanical designs. He wound up becoming the IT guy for a very large construction outfit because of position and pay, but management still sends him out on mechanical repairs because of his troubleshooting and wrench turning skills. So it doesn't take forever to learn...but you do have to immerse yourself at some point to pick it up quickly.

Those books are good...but I suggest you beg, borrow or steal some trouble shooting tools unless you have them and start fiddling with everything from alternators to pumps to complete small engines along with those books as soon as possible. If you cant do all that, use a mechanical friend or befriend someone you can be a gopher for to gain experience

... e.g. I don't know what's the difference between engine sleeve and liner? Are they the same thing?

Give yourself a little credit. This kind of detail means nothing to the user. It's important to someone who rebuilds the engines.

Nigel Calder books
Chapmans Piloting, Seamanship & Small Boat Handling

The us power squadron has an introductory engine course. USPS.org

Search for "how engines work" will bring up some videos that may get you started.

Last edited:
To those above who recommended Nigel Calder's book, Thank you.

Half dot com, a discount seller that is part of ebay, has a bunch of them. I bought a used one in very good condition for $13.40.

Chic:

If you have made it this far without any detailed knowledge of engines, that demonstrates that you are much less interested in the engine than in other aspects of boating. You may be at the stage that many boaters reach, where you enjoy being out there, but can leave the engine and its mysteries to others.

Previous posters here have given you the basics. More than that may not be of any real interest and certainly isn't necessary to pleasurable boating.

A friend of mine used to come to me frequently with engine questions, because I had pointed out to him once that his boat was powered by the same engine as mine. I quickly learned that whatever question he had merely indicated his complete lack of understanding of everything mechanical on his boat. The learning curve was too steep for him to surmount. Yet, in his chosen field, he had excelled, and was understanding stuff that I couldn't. We are still friends, he still asks questions that demonstrate his continued state of ignorance, and he still has a great time on the water.

Thanks guys! Mr Calder's Book ordered. And it's a great idea to look into local high school and community college!

You need hands on.

Even though I had not worked on my own engine for 40 years, I had at one point.

Without that hands on experience, it is much harder to read a book and make sense of it. In fact, it's usually a waste of time. One of the reasons our kids in school do so poorly.

Think of reading a book about learning another language, without ever talking or hearing that language.

One hands on class, will set you up with the basics and make it much easier to maintain your own boat,

The us power squadron has an introductory engine course. USPS.org

I'd second Bayview's recommendation re: USPS - courses are quality and you expand your network of boating resources.

Also agree w/ Calder & CC / BOCES courses that give you hands on.

Some of the diesel parts suppliers/builders have one and two day classes. When you get closer to picking a boat, try to find out who supplied the engine and see if they have intro courses.

A good general engine book like Calder has multiple uses. At some time many of us will have to deal with a real engine event without outside assistance.
A quote from Bob Smith, formerly VP of Lehman Power Corp. and now of American Diesel "..the most important single recommendation I can make to a new engine owner is "do not tinker"! If the unit is running well-leave it alone!.....Unless you know what you are doing, keep your hands off".
But sometimes,you just have to" have a go",and such a book will be very handy.

Back
Top Bottom