cleaning seats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Working on cleaning flybridge seats up. Have tried many commercial products to clean the vinyl seats with limited success. Seats have the usual mold stains on them. What do you find works best for this.

Watered down bleach

for mold --> bleach

also try soft scrub with bleach, that might work if the mold isn't too bad.

Bleach is what I'm using as well and it works fine. Then let's dry under sun.

Bleach is what I'm using as well and it works fine. Then let's dry under sun.

I'd be concerned about the bleach destroying the finish on the vinyl. Once it's gone the UV will eat it up in no time. Am I wrong?

There is a lot of chlorine in vinyl what is polyvinylchloride (PVC).
Anyway I'm always using mild bleach solution, not pure bleach.

I had some seats that wouldn't come clean. After a couple tries of Marine Spray Nine, I forgot to wipe them. I came back a week later and they were white as snow.

That said, vinyl upholstery (as opposed to solid plastic) can discolor from within and only paint can deal with this. An auto paint store will have paint made for vinyl upholstery.

I had mold on my seat cushions and nothing touched it(and I tried a number of different things), till I tried straight bleach. I wiped it on and left it wet. Came back later and the cushions look better than they have in a long time.

Ken

Try those white 'magic sponges'.

White wall tire cleaner, let soak for 10 minutes. Now you know that I am old.

I live in the worst place in the entire continent for mold/mildew. Bleach is your friend. Start off with a mild solution and strengthen as needed. It may reduce the life of the fabric, but then, so does the mildew.

Some of the organic stains are very difficult to remove from vinyl. I have vinyl sundecks at my house and if a leaf is left to sit on the deck, the tannins leave a stain behind. Acetone is the only product that I have found that is capable of,removing the toughest stains.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I don't mean to start another "a" thread / argument - but my $0.02...

Bleach is not the mold "cure all" many believe it to be.
Seems to work fairly well on NON-POROUS surfaces but on porous surfaces (e.g. canvas) mold will likely return.

Lots of links out there... here's on that comes up when you search whether bleach kills mold. Mold Removal and How to Kill Mold

Lot's of alternatives that work as well or better depending on the surface being treated. One of my favorites for mold & stains (especially red wine) is hydrogen peroxide - very useful on clothing, fabrics, furniture and it works equally well w/ blood stains

I have used the vinegar approach on canvas and it seemed to help prevent the rather quick return when I used just bleach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom