Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #10
Bacchus
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
... Now, as to training, start with a local Power Squadron or USCGAux boating course and learn all you can, especially about Rules of the Road. If that boat really feels comfortable to you AND it fits the kind of boating you plan on doing then get it and hire a local captain to training you on your boat. Join a boating group or Yacht club and hang out with people who have boats, some of whom will be live-aboards.
Marty....................

Welcome aboard
I agree and second Marty's comment re: USPS / USCGAux.
USPS has recently added more on-the-water training to their available courses.

My wife and I took a basic boating course when we contemplated getting into boating - we joined the local squadron and have remained active members after 25+ yrs.
The knowledge gave us the confidence to try it on our own and practice and experience has reinforced the confidence.
We have cruised much more than we ever would have if we hadn't started with the knowledge piece.
Side benefit is that you build a network of knowledgeable resources with similar interests that you can call on for help and to continue the informal education.

Also - Insurance Co's recognize the value of USPS courses and will generally provide a discount if you have completed courses and are an active member.
Same for charter outfits which is another excellent way to test whether the cruising life style is for you - and you can charter either with or without a certified Capt to assist & "show you the ropes".

Good Luck - Lots of info and a good bunch here at TF - willing to help w/ advice but you have to do your homework and sort out what's right for yourself.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote