Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow Ted. Thanks for the pics. That canal looked a little scary, not much room.
Plenty of room if not a lot of traffic...and not in a 65 plus footer.

I am surprised that as many sailboats cruise it at peak times. 2 opposing sailboats I don't thing have enough air draft in many places unless scraping gunnels.

Unfortunately will be stopping above Morehead City. Struck something yesterday and am hoping to haulout tomorrow morning. Felt something submerged slide down the keel and didn't get out of gear fast enough. Heard one thump and now have some vibration. :oops:

Ted

Sorry to hear that. Did you see much trash on and in the water or think this was just a renegade piece of debris?

At least you are in an area where there is a lot of marine service and it's very much out of season for them so you should be able to get what you need quickly.

Hi Ted, I think you may be near Town Creek Marina. I've had 2 occasions to have repairs done there. I was happy with the results. Sorry for your mishap. Good luck, Howard

Ah the pleasures of staying on the ICW through that stretch. I would think the Cherubini more robust given the worst case scenario on the Pamlico yesterday and today. Had great days on the water this weekend in our mighty 13' Whaler.

Where are you getting hauled? Bock, True World or JB? If you need help, transport, a good meal or just empathy and sympathy, I am pretty open the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Hi Ted, I think you may be near Town Creek Marina. I've had 2 occasions to have repairs done there. I was happy with the results. Sorry for your mishap. Good luck, Howard

As a (former) customer of theirs, I would not agree with this. There are far better and more reasonable yards here.

Jarrett Bay Boat Works is a great yard.

The only issue I know with Jarrett Bay is for large jobs, especially in the summer, you may wait a while. However, this time of year, I'd think they'll quickly haul it and do what needs to be done. Definitely where I'd go.

Sorry to hear that. Did you see much trash on and in the water or think this was just a renegade piece of debris?

At least you are in an area where there is a lot of marine service and it's very much out of season for them so you should be able to get what you need quickly.

Really haven't seen any trash. Maybe 3 or 4 bits and pieces since Norfolk. Think this was maybe a limb of a water logged tree. Nothing on the surface and 15' of water under the boat. Heard something sliding down the hull or keel and couldn't grab the shift lever fast enough, thump.

Appreciate the thought Howard, managed to get setup with a yard on Saturday.

Ah the pleasures of staying on the ICW through that stretch. I would think the Cherubini more robust given the worst case scenario on the Pamlico yesterday and today. Had great days on the water this weekend in our mighty 13' Whaler.

Where are you getting hauled? Bock, True World or JB? If you need help, transport, a good meal or just empathy and sympathy, I am pretty open the next couple of days.

I doubt it did anything to the boat, the skeg is massive. Just managed to catch one blade. Getting hauled at True World Marine. First ones to answer the phone on Saturday and seem to have a decent reputation on Active Captain. We shall see. Appreciate the offer on sympathy etc. Let me see what tomorrow brings.

I'm right next door to them. Always nice to have nearby options.

Ted

As a (former) customer of theirs, I would not agree with this. There are far better and more reasonable yards here.

Not sure how long ago that was George, but the current owner and team at Town Creek did an awesome job with our recent work. He is also getting ready to put in all new docks for the marina. We were pleased. (Just sayin')

Wow Ted. Thanks for the pics. That canal looked a little scary, not much room.
Not a lot of room but you're not going very fast.

Most of the traffic will be going your way in fall and spring but you can still pass boats going the other way. There won't be tugs and barges or really big boats.

20160201_103033.jpg

20160201_103040.jpg

20160201_103048.jpg

:cry:

Ted

the real question no one is asking.... did it scratch the paint job? :)

Hope they can straighten it out for you!
Stu

the real question no one is asking.... did it scratch the paint job? :)

Hope they can straighten it out for you!
Stu

Paint is fine. Back in the water tomorrow.

Ted

True World is indeed a bunch of nice guys; I used them a couple times mostly as a DIY spot. I had to get past the Moonie tie in myself, but it is a nice facility , good people. Good idea to go in and out of there at slack near high water, BTW.

Jarrett Bay has a whole bunch of my money; my experience with them varied. One of their best techs went independent (though now full time at Hatteras), so I started using them a lot less and he was delighted to work for half of what I used to pay Jarrett Bay for him.

Sorry, Bess and Tom, I'm pretty sure it's the same crew over at TC, I've always had good experiences with yards and tradesmen, but they are the local Onan marine shop and it was the one time I felt I got bent over.. paid a few hundred bucks for the tech to sit there and read the shop manual to start with. I started using Mike of L&M marine after that several thousand dollar lesson… he's is a fantastic tech by the way. We had friends who kept their boat there at TC during the summer and they were never particularly impressed by the work or the cost. With all the good yards and tradespeople around here, why settle?

Ted

Sounds great. Excellent turnaround. Although I don't truly know how you're handling it in person, based on the calm you're showing here, I suspect very well. To me that's a part of boating that things will happen, they'll delay us, we'll get them fixed, we'll move on. I've seen people infuriated at the rough seas keeping them from going and totally miss what was a great town they were stuck in. I saw a guy waiting for some parts, his boat docked at a nice marina. He knew it would be three to four days for them to arrive as he refused to pay for overnight or two day shipping. For three days, he and his wife did not leave the boat. You've got a three day wait, why not make the most of it?

There are definitely a lot worse places to be stuck in than where you are. Hope you're getting some great seafood.

B&B-time to remember-"It's the journey, not the destination" that is most enjoyable!

Sorry, Bess and Tom

No need to be sorry! We had a great experience, sorry you didn't. They were highly recommended by Big Rock Props and Bircher Marine, which is why we went there.

Sounds great. Excellent turnaround. Although I don't truly know how you're handling it in person, based on the calm you're showing here, I suspect very well. To me that's a part of boating that things will happen, they'll delay us, we'll get them fixed, we'll move on. I've seen people infuriated at the rough seas keeping them from going and totally miss what was a great town they were stuck in. I saw a guy waiting for some parts, his boat docked at a nice marina. He knew it would be three to four days for them to arrive as he refused to pay for overnight or two day shipping. For three days, he and his wife did not leave the boat. You've got a three day wait, why not make the most of it?

There are definitely a lot worse places to be stuck in than where you are. Hope you're getting some great seafood.
Ok, it went like this.

After I dinged the prop and knew what I had or more importantly hadn't done, I was pissed....at myself. I knew what was happening and didn't react fast enough. Put the boat back in gear; bring it up too cruise (7 knots); everything is ok. No it's not. Set the auto pilot and lift the engine hatch cover. I can see the engine vibrating. It's not bad, but it doesn't move at all normally. Guess I was pissed for about an hour. Problem didn't go away. So just get over it.

After that, I switched to fix the problem. Knew I was going to lose 1 or 2 travel days and figure and a boat unit of money. Surfed the web for an hour while motoring; made a few phone calls; had everything planned out before noon and got back to cruising.

I'm not happy about it, but there is no point being miserable. Had another day and a half of good cruising. Now I'm in a new boatyard. The crew is top notch, professional, and the yard and their equipment looks well maintained. They have done everything they said they were going to do, just waiting on the prop shop. Spent the day cleaning fender balls, the inside of the boat, and some general reorganizing. Spent the afternoon taking a long walk through the different boatyards looking at all sorts of boats. Will spend the night on the boat and hope for the best tomorrow.

Ted

Ted

Glad you are able to get this taken care of in short order! As much as it sucks, at least you had several choices of yards in Adams Creek!

Where to next??

I would have found some clean clear water and crawled under there with my BFH and big backer and beat that out straight for free. Done it lots of times. At the worst I would have pulled it off and taken it in to a local prop shop. But, I boat cheap.

Last time I had a wheel removed it took a pretty heavy duty (hydraulic if I recall) prop puller. No way I could do it myself. Ted done it right.

I think he did it right for other reasons too. The major one I think of is the ability to inspect everything well including shaft alignment. Diving he could have looked the bottom over although not like having it out, he could have seen obvious shaft damage, but couldn't have seen more subtle damage and misalignment can lead to far more serious issues. Odds of it slim. Still, if I feel I hit something I want my boat checked by being hauled the first chance I have.

Boating requires the ability to adapt. It's good you were able to get to a good boatyard and nothing worse happened.

Glad you are able to get this taken care of in short order! As much as it sucks, at least you had several choices of yards in Adams Creek!

Where to next??

Mile Hammock Bay at New River inlet.

I would have found some clean clear water and crawled under there with my BFH and big backer and beat that out straight for free. Done it lots of times. At the worst I would have pulled it off and taken it in to a local prop shop. But, I boat cheap.

Well you must be Superman. Have seen props trued up with a 4 pound hammer and a sledge for a backer on land. Water however is 900 times denser than air. Swinging a 4 pound hammer with one hand, holding a sledge as a backer with the other, maintaining position underwater, while over coming the density of the water absorbing most of your effort, that's truly super human.

While I have the ability to pull a propeller under water, I don't own a prop puller for a 2.5" shaft. Guess you would probably just beat the prop off with your BFH.

Last time I had a wheel removed it took a pretty heavy duty (hydraulic if I recall) prop puller. No way I could do it myself. Ted done it right.

While it can be done without a hydraulic puller, you are correct that it takes the right tool, which I didn't have.

I think he did it right for other reasons too. The major one I think of is the ability to inspect everything well including shaft alignment. Diving he could have looked the bottom over although not like having it out, he could have seen obvious shaft damage, but couldn't have seen more subtle damage and misalignment can lead to far more serious issues. Odds of it slim. Still, if I feel I hit something I want my boat checked by being hauled the first chance I have.

Yes, lot to be said for a through inspection after striking hard enough to bend a blade. You know the alignment is still good when you can turn the 2.5" shaft with one hand. :thumb:

Ted

Boating requires the ability to adapt. It's good you were able to get to a good boatyard and nothing worse happened.

Yes, could have been much worse.

Ted

That's a pretty good bend in the prop, certainly can see why it would vibrate, glad you got it all sorted out quickly, but don't knock yourself, that stuff does and will happen if you run boats long enough, safe passage for the remainder of your journey.

Always good to pull it when you can....and send it out....sometimes it's the bend/twist you don't see that can be the real problem.

I can see an in the water repair in some places to get back to a better place for permanent repairs...but North Carolina in late January? Water temp maybe 50 degrees....?????

Even for a highly experienced diver as OC is/explained...almost superhuman to use the hammer approach in the water...I prefer a pipe or large crescent wrench for tips if I don't think they will break off if bent back.

Last edited:
"Mile Hammock Bay at New River inlet."

I'm sure you know this however:
There's a marker as you get near the bridge (Onslow?) before Mile Hammock that looks like it's way out of position. Be careful, it's not.

Safe travels.

Theey ahve been doing a lot of live fire exercises at LeJeune this past week, so Mile hammock may be noisy and busy. Also a possibility of the ICW being closed for a few hours at a time. Offshore from Morehead to Masonboro is one of the better routes and you skip one of the more boring and shoal proneICW stretches (in addition to the above), yesterday would have been great, though though today calls for 2-4s @ 5 sec, which seems too rough for the OP's liking. NE wind usually makes it not that bad nearshore if the New River restricted zone is not being enforced. No way tomorrow as a small craft warning will be up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom