Paragraphs please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
Could I humbly suggest that when replying or posting a thread that the old rule of 'paragraphs are good' be adopted.

Studies show the accepted wisdom is to keep paragraphs to about 6 lines, sentences to about 20-25 words.

This will not guarantee that anyone will agree with what you have to say, but they are more likely to read it. :)

Jaysus, we have an English professor among us. Sorry I mean, amongst us.

I used to make long posts w/o paragraphs until Marin helped me out. Was a good suggestion but I disagree w you Andy G in that when to indent for a paragraph it should have nothing to do w the # of lines or words. It's about separating thoughts and subject matter IMO.

I edit almost all my posts and am amazed how many things I correct, add or subtract from the average post. Now you see my spelling is OK but you know when I'm on my i-pad as the spell checker is inop and the one in my head has never been operative.

But to put paragraphs where they need to be is fairly obvious when you read during editing. You can tell right away when the subject matter is different enough for a new paragraph as most of us type much slower than we read.

But Andy G I agree totally that a long post w/o paragraphs will likely not get read.

Last edited:
I admit I tend to tune out if I see a big block of uninterrupted text.

Could I humbly suggest that when replying or posting a thread that the old rule of 'paragraphs are good' be adopted.

Studies show the accepted wisdom is to keep paragraphs to about 6 lines, sentences to about 20-25 words.

This will not guarantee that anyone will agree with what you have to say, but they are more likely to read it. :)

I agree, however...one sentence does not a paragraph make! :hide:

And let's not stop there!

Let's all understand when to use the following:

there, their and they're
its and it's
were and we're
your and you're
herd and heard
compliment and complement

Just to name a few.......:banghead:

“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”

― Mark Twain

Lightning is spelled Lightning, not lightening (which means taking off weight).
a moot point is not a mute point :)

Attachments

• knowingyourshit.jpg
    knowingyourshit.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 654
And let's not stop there!

Let's all understand when to use the following:

there, their and they're
its and it's
were and we're
your and you're
herd and heard
compliment and complement

Just to name a few.......:banghead:

Waydago Duckie. Yes, site and sight, etc, etc.
But yes, I totally agree, and often have to resist the urge to 'fix' obvious typos/grammar, as opposed to deliberate ones, which wee spellchecker tries its damnedest to prevent, and Andy G is also right re paragraphs. Here's one now...

Can I also throw in, while we are at it, the desirability when selecting 'quote', to please not leave the whole dang post there unless it is short or all totally relevant, but please, if not, just highlight and cut the irrelevant parts. It really takes no time at all, but makes the point far easier to get to, and the thrust of the discussion way shorter.

Thanks heaps for considering. Cheers,

Last edited:
Calm down its not real life its a internet forum. And a international one at that and don't forget English isn't everyone first language ;)

Pardon me for starting a sentence with And :blush:

This

is

a

real

interesting

thread.

Don't trust spell check either Six does not substitute for Sex.

Personally, I think a fair amount of members don't post because they feel they may be criticized either for the post content or because the subject was previously discussed etc etc . In other words, they don't want to be made to appear foolish.

While I agree effort should be made to use correct grammar, it should not add yet another level of concern to a poster. We are all of different backgrounds and educational levels and this is after all an international boating forum, so a little consideration for all posters would be nice.:thumb:

And don't forget your punctuation! Commas save lives!

"Let's eat grandma!"

Vs

"Let's eat, grandma! ":rofl:

When I start a post the guy on SNL comes to mind for motivation . The guy that is looking in the mirror and saying " doggonit I can do this , I'm brave enough , I'm smart enough and people like me . " Maybe a little help with a SNL video RT?

That's not the one I was thinking of , but still motivating .

I agree with the paragraphs suggestion but don't think we should be grammarians or spell checkers. The forum is not just for English majors.

I also agree that people should read their posts after sending to see if what is said is what they want.

If u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb wt hi pay.

A New York City subway advertisement when stenographers still existed. Point made? Let's not intimidate a poster because they are better boaters than grammarians.

If u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb wt hi pay.

A New York City subway advertisement when stenographers still existed. Point made? Let's not intimidate a poster because they are better boaters than grammarians.

Cmn admt it, yr kd txtd tht to u.

I also agree that people should read their posts after sending to see if what is said is what they want.
What a novel concept. Or maybe they should read their posts before they send them.

To add to the list of misused words: seem and seam

Capital/Capitol; the second does not have the first.

Let's not forget about capitalization....it does make a difference.

Helping your uncle jack off a horse....versus...helping your Uncle Jack off a horse!!!

Last edited:
My pet peeve: insure vs. ensure

I have mixed feelings about this topic each time it comes up. I like to hear from those who are not native English speakers, and even those who struggle with grammar.

But there are lots of things I struggle with, too. I just have to work harder on those things.

Is it wrong to expect a little effort in the writing, from those who would like someone to spend their time reading?

I can't read one long run-on paragraph. I'd like to, but I just can't make sense of it.

Likewise, when I hit an obvious grammatical mistake, it interrupts my train of thought (not difficult to do, I admit) and I have to re-focus my attention. After a certain number of those, it's just not worth the effort. Next thread.

Write whatever you want. But if you want people to read it, and think about what you said, it's best to make some effort at clarity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom