Mosquito screen for bronze port lights.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
What would be the metallic composition of a bronze portlight? I have mosquito screens for all of the port lights in the staterooms and heads but need to have 2 made for the Pilothouse. Would it be necessary for the screen frames to be the same bronze compositon?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greetings,
Mr. JD. Are you concerned about potential corrosion with different bronze alloys in contact with each other? If so, I think a thin coating of grease would solve that problem.

Greetings,
Mr. JD. Are you concerned about potential corrosion with different bronze alloys in contact with each other? If so, I think a thin coating of grease would solve that problem.

Yes. The outfit has several types of bronze alloys they work with, so I thought it made sense to determine the one closest to the portlights. This is the outfit I have been talking to...

http://www.hastingsbrass.com/bronze-casting-alloys/

I'm not sure what is involved yet. It might be too expensive.

Jim

In practical terms, the small differences (on the galvanic scale) between the common alloys of bronze would make any corrosion very slight and take a very long time. Going with something around 80-10-10 will get you in the ballpark.

Ken

Lena made these using Velcro to attach the screens. She used black Velcro with one side that is sticky that attached to the port light. The other part of the Velcro she sewed to plastic screen material she bought at the hardware store. The binding she bought at a fabric store. Nothing special. When they aren't in use they roll or fold up out of the way. The Velcro on the port light, we replace about once every 18 months to 2 years as the sticky part dries out.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 75
I unscrewed the port.
Cut a piece of screen to fit. used some rubber cement to glue screening down.
Then I screwed the port back on.

Thanks Larry. The problem is THE DAMNED CAT will make short work of anything out of Velcro and mosquito netting! We could use some of the tougher vinyl mesh that are used in cockpit enclosures. I thought I'd price out the ones in bronze. If prohibitive, I will work with a lower cost solution.

Can the cat swim?

Oh yeah! Like a bat outta hell! Fell overboard last summer. Caught her in the salmon net.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1454120747.037272.jpg

Jim

I don't think you'll have any problem with any bronze alloy or even copper used to make the screen frames. Regular bronze window screen is cat resistant. I'm an expert on cats and screens.

We use a thin copper tubing , 1/8 or so and bend it to fit the inside of the port .

Clean it , flux it and with a torch use radio solder (lower melt temp) to attach brass screening.

After heating it may need a metal file to refit to the port.

On larger sizes a cross bar helps to re=move the screen.

Not no cost , but close, and most ANY sized port can be done.

Do not let street urchins lick the screen due to its higher solder lead content,

We use a thin copper tubing , 1/8 or so and bend it to fit the inside of the port .

Clean it , flux it and with a torch use radio solder (lower melt temp) to attach brass screening.

After heating it may need a metal file to refit to the port.

On larger sizes a cross bar helps to re=move the screen.

Not no cost , but close, and most ANY sized port can be done.

Do not let street urchins lick the screen due to its higher solder lead content,

These are "friction fitted" to hold in place?

Jim

"These are "friction fitted" to hold in place?These are "friction fitted" to hold in place?"

If small yes , the larger sizes require some help.

The cheapest is to get a second piece of tubing that can be soldered in that helps spring the screen into place.A tiny bit longer allows it to bow a bit and thats all that is required.

ACE and other places with big goodie boxes might have a turnbuckle center in a tiny size that could be used on a larger opening port for more pressure..

Call these guys, they are in Port Townsend and make great quality products. I researched them for port lights for my old GB: Product Catalog

Thanks Larry. The problem is THE DAMNED CAT will make short work of anything out of Velcro and mosquito netting! We could use some of the tougher vinyl mesh that are used in cockpit enclosures. I thought I'd price out the ones in bronze. If prohibitive, I will work with a lower cost solution.

You can buy a tougher pet screen. I installed in a sliding door and the dog could no longer harm it.

I simply unscrewed the port from the boat. Then used rubber cement, I glued a piece of screen onto the boat. then I screwed the port back on the boat.
Easy to do, does not come loose, does not leak. I suppose a more durable sealant could be used. My ports are under the bow deck, so naturally angled inwards. I never want to pass a line thru the port, so what's wrong with doing this? It solves having to solder and construct a bronze contraption or deal with screens that come loose.

What is butyl caulk? Well you could use that to reseal the port to the hull.

Stuff like this can be stretched into thin ribbon lines. Totally waterproof and stays soft and flexible forever.
http://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...ro-15-ft-round-bead-ribbon-sealer/501842_0_0/

And then there is the other gray-white caulk comes on a roll.
http://www.amazon.com/TremPro-Butyl-Rolls-Window-Sealer/dp/B00KH9PUVI

Last edited:
I used the heavy plastic screen material a cloth like product sold by Sailrite just cut it to shape and used stick on heavy duty Velcro and it works fine easy to install remove and store. I Cary a small roll of the screening a scissor and Velcro and can make a new screen in five minuets.

Back
Top Bottom