Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have a great trip. BTW, you can stay the night at no charge at Top Rack if you have dinner in their restaurant.

Yes, I ate too much last night!
Lobster bisc
Crab cake apetiser
Tuna Ahi main course
Cheese cake
2 very fine barley pops

All that and dockage with 50 amp service for a little over $75. Would have spent $20 in fuel alone to run the generator if I had anchored out.

I see you this morning. Slow Hand shows up. Its 0822 and you are waiting on the Dismal Lock. Safe travels.

Thanks, glad that's resolved.

Ted

................84 nautical miles from Crisfield, MD to Top Rack in Norfolk, VA at 7+/- knots. Wanted to be here by 2pm to get fuel. They close at 5pm and wanted the buffer in case of traffic, bridge closure or fighting the tidal current in the bay.................

Makes sense. I try not to run at night but it should be easier in the open Bay than the ICW.

Some pics of Dismal Swamp. Deep Creek Lock and heading down the canal with the Mallards leading the way.

20160129_082241.jpg

20160129_095202.jpg

Ted

I always like the ducks and geese that see you coming, take off, fly about 200 feet, land, then look surprised to see you in a couple minutes. :D

Then do it another 20 times till they finally decide to fly over you and land behind you. :rofl:

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Brings back memories and it IS a touch Dismal this time of year but quiet.
For those who choose to transit this ditch, the visitor's welcome center is at MM28 and is a great free dockage stop. Just across the floating foot bridge at the welcome center is Dismal Swamp State Park interpretive center with nature displays and a boardwalk through a section of the swamp. Well worth a stroll IMO. Thanks Mr. OC. Safe travels.
Mr. ps. Ducks aren't the brightest of fowl.

dsmh.gif

I always like the ducks and geese that see you coming, take off, fly about 200 feet, land, then look surprised to see you in a couple minutes. :D

Then do it another 20 times till they finally decide to fly over you and land behind you. :rofl:

Probably saw 150 ducks today. One did a near vertical takeoff after failing to see me, and flew right past me. Saw 2 bald eagles today. They were flying down the canal and then went up a little bit to fly over me. Pretty cool!

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Brings back memories and it IS a touch Dismal this time of year but quiet.
For those who choose to transit this ditch, the visitor's welcome center is at MM28 and is a great free dockage stop. Just across the floating foot bridge at the welcome center is Dismal Swamp State Park interpretive center with nature displays and a boardwalk through a section of the swamp. Well worth a stroll IMO. Thanks Mr. OC. Safe travels.
Mr. ps. Ducks aren't the brightest of fowl.

For those interested in doing the Dismal Swamp Canal, here are some more pics :

The visitor's center is also a rest stop on the highway with bathroom facilities and picnic tables.

20160129_120438.jpg

They have a very nice almost new dock that can accommodate 4 or 5 boats and then people raft out from there. Think the record is 20+ boats one night. Docking is free and it's very sheltered from the wind. No water or electric is available.

20160129_120529.jpg

20160129_120820.jpg

20160129_120716.jpg

South Mill Lock full

20160129_133309.jpg

And empty.

20160129_134404.jpg

Back to the earlier discussion, front was coming through this afternoon with high wind advisories for the sound and Ocean. Glad I was in the swamp instead of getting the crap beat out of me in the sound on the way to Coinjock!

I'm in Elizabeth City tonight tied to the Jennette food distributors free dock which is just North of the draw bridge. Very stout dock that can hold 3 or 4 boats. Very protected from winds and wave action. No water or electric. Dock and dine is their request. There are 8 or 9 local restaurants to choose from. As it was cold and windy, I chose the closest, Cypress Creek Grill. Food was superb, Hatteras style clam chowder to die for and blackened chicken Alfredo plus one barley pop. Local beer was disappointing, but everything else was very good, $25.

Ted

Last edited:
For those visiting ECity, Ted is right about being north of the drawbridge in certain weather patterns.. The town docks are great but strong winds from the East or South tend to make them pretty rocky, tying along the wall is almost not doable.

Doesn't seem like a big Dismal route Club...but I like the members so far! :thumb:

Never did the Dismal but now I'm interested. Might do it going north in April.

First light leaving Elizabeth City on the Asquotank River. As they say on Deale Island, slick calm (pronounced "Cam").

20160130_065726.jpg

Ted

Maybe intentional? :D

Lets hope the Albemarle looks like that for him to.... :thumb:

Albemarle Sound is looking pretty nice this morning!

20160130_082608.jpg

Ted

Albemarle=Forecast 5-10 N clocking to south this afternoon. Pamlico/Pungo 5 E. Neuse 5-10 E clocking South but flat right now. He's movin' on and must live a good clean life!

If it gets rough you can try this.

It's a beautiful day on the water in NC! The Alligator River, flat as a lake.

Alligator River Swing Bridge

20160130_110254.jpg

Ted

Isn't life just wonderful on those days the water is like glass.

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Beautiful! Cam, for sure. When we came down to FL last March we overnighted at the Alligator Marina, just off to the right of your shot. Snow and ice everywhere and we had to circle for a couple of hours before the bridge thawed enough to open the next morning. Bridge tender's response to our initial request was..."She froze up".

Didn't look like that when I came through December 2014. 2 1/2' quartering and a fly bridge helm that decided it was time to drain itself. Belhaven to home the next day looked like that. Couldn't tell the horizon from the water surface. Life was good and beer thirty started early.

On days like this, why take the boredom and ordeal of the Pungo? Personally we'd rather poke something in my eye than put up with that if we don't have to. Time to at least enjoy Manteo and Ocracoke if not the wide open spaces.

Didn't make it to Belhaven tonight. Sun set an hour and a half away. On the hook in a very quiet and peaceful spot. Couple more pics from today.

Hope nobody is going to accuse me of waking them with these ripples.

20160130_123834.jpg

Nice sunset sitting at anchor.

20160130_174510.jpg

Ted

Isn't life just wonderful on those days the water is like glass.

Yes, I'll take days like this every time!

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Beautiful! Cam, for sure. When we came down to FL last March we overnighted at the Alligator Marina, just off to the right of your shot. Snow and ice everywhere and we had to circle for a couple of hours before the bridge thawed enough to open the next morning. Bridge tender's response to our initial request was..."She froze up".

I was wondering when I left a few days ago whether I was going to have any problems with bridges not opening because of cold or high winds. Not today! :lol:

Didn't look like that when I came through December 2014. 2 1/2' quartering and a fly bridge helm that decided it was time to drain itself. Belhaven to home the next day looked like that. Couldn't tell the horizon from the water surface. Life was good and beer thirty started early.

I've gotten my but kicked several times in NC sounds. I'll take this whenever I can get it!

On days like this, why take the boredom and ordeal of the Pungo? Personally we'd rather poke something in my eye than put up with that if we don't have to. Time to at least enjoy Manteo and Ocracoke if not the wide open spaces.

I spend time in Hatteras and Ocracoke each summer. While the Pungo doesn't excite me, this time of year the weather can change quickly. Yesterday's weather changed quickly and was much worse than expected. I'm ok with boring and not being weathered out.

Ted

Another pretty sunrise!

20160131_065505.jpg

Another calm morning!

20160131_083833.jpg

Ted

Been trying to follow you on AIS but the coverage in that area is terrible, still shows you at the north end of the Dismal Swamp. Looks like it will pick back up at Morehead City. Just love following along.

He survived the Neuse

He's back on AIS and headed down Adams Creek/Core Creek.

Wow Ted. Thanks for the pics. That canal looked a little scary, not much room.

Unfortunately will be stopping above Morehead City. Struck something yesterday and am hoping to haulout tomorrow morning. Felt something submerged slide down the keel and didn't get out of gear fast enough. Heard one thump and now have some vibration. :oops:

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom