What's your moorage rate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Our annual moorage rate at MK Bay Marina in Kitimat, BC just went up about 9%, which got me wondering where our rate sits in the scheme of things.

We pay $78.00 per foot for the year, for a total of $2,340.00 for our 30 footer.

There is only one other option in town in Minette Bay, but it's accessible only at mid to high tide and is run down to say the least.

What about you?

Our rate in Petersburg Alaska is about $1400/yr for a 40'. Electric not included.

Tator

Here on the Maine coast we pay quite a lot more. This year the marina is charging $115 per for for the season (May-October). Power is $7.50 a day extra. During the Winter space is $150 per month and shore power and water are not available. There really isn't any competition so they can charge what they want. Also the marina business is seasonal here so they have to make their money during the 6 month season. Nightly rate is $3.25 per foot and power is $15 extra. I rent 68' of marina space so my marina bill is $7,820 per year without shore power.

This is going to be a wild ride of a thread.

Here on the Neuse, we pay around $7/ft./month. so for our 42' breaks out to annual rate of about $3000-$4000 per year.

Atlantic Highlands NJ is at $140 per ft for a slip for the season. Moorings are $2100 or so for the season.

So that's $8400 for the season for us (60 ft LOA) in a slip.

My boat is 37 feet.
I pay 100$ per month. Free water, free electric, although it is only 20 amps.
Hampton Va Marina Cove on the Back River.
Marina is old but kept up. About a third of the boats are waterman.
They can haul out and I am a DIY guy, so I can do it all there.

Prior I had the boat at Southall Landings in Hampton. I paid $1200 every 6 months. Marina has a pool, security, fancy place but very many biting flies. No haul out, basically just for parking the boat. If I rolled my toolbox down the wharf, I would get frowny faces. And sort of got the impression they don't like people working on their boats there.

I like keeping the boat in Hampton Va since there is no personal property tax on boats there.

Last edited:
Portland Oregon, 400 per month not including electric, for a 60ft slip 6 year old Marina. No sales tax and no property tax.

Finger Lakes of NY our rate is $52/ft for summer season Apr - Oct

I pay $250/month for a 20'x60' covered slip in a 6-year old marina. That includes water. When I first got into the slip the marina installed the right receptacles so I would have 50A 240V and 50A 120V. I'm billed separately for the electricity I use.

The marina is really top notch, with floating docks, 10' wide concrete walkways, 8' wide concrete finger docks. No other amenities to speak of, but a nice bunch of people who work here and who have their boats here.

$3.50 (Canadian) per foot plus utilities which works out to $147.00 per month ( $104.00 USD) Cheapest moorage in the Greater Vancouver area. FWIW this is our club marina which was built by and is maintained by its members; you also have to be a community resident to join here. Squamish Yacht Club

Last edited:
$200.00 a month plus utilities

Works out to $142.00 a month, water included, electricity not. South Shore in New Orleans.

I'm in a boathouse, which I own. The rental of the 840 square feet of water it floats on is around $580/Mo, so +/- $7,000.00 yr.

$1200 per summer season for the mooring. $1300 outside winter storage on the hard.

Some seasons when I know I'm not going to use her, I leave her on land for the summer. I get a small refund. Not sure how that works.

I recently purchased a covered 48' slip in Memphis for a little over $20k. CAM and property taxes work out to about $1k per year. I rented at various marinas for 10 years before that, so it's nice to have my own spot and not have to pay "the man" every month. Slips in Memphis and Kentucky Lake (TN River) were generally around $3,500 per year for a 40 foot covered slip.

In Warwick RI I pay $120/ft for May-October. Electricity, one 30amp, is $75 for the season. Winter is $40/ft and includes haul, powerwash, blocking, and launch. It is a full service marina with pool, hot tub, grills, and ship's store. The closer you get to Newport the more expensive it gets.

$14/foot/month plus tax plus electric in JAX, FL That's the live-aboard rate. You can save 5% for a 6 month pre-pay or 10% for annual.

$375 month. 40' covered slip. Electricity is extra. Runs from $20-50 per month depending on use.

That's down here on the beautiful Redneck Riviera!

In Vallejo, California (San Francisco Bay Area). About $8 per foot per month. Includes electricity and water. Wifi is promised in the future...

Currently paying $650 a month Plus elec, water 55ft Cheoy Lee In the BVI's. Rates go from 1960-650 a month down here. Was paying $350 in Sint Maarten for lying alongside in a untidy boatyard berth. (3 years)
Fuel 3.90 to 4.10 US Gall

Beautiful slip in Sausalito but California is not cheap. $1200 per month for 60'

Slip in Fort Myers, FL is about $600 a month for my 45' trawler. My annual slip at Somers Cove runs $2,500 for the year on a new wonderful floating dock. :thumb: The slip for my charter boat (35') at Sunset Marina in Ocean City, MD costs $6,500 for 6 months. All plus electric.

Ted

30' covered in LaConner WA ...... $300 mo.

Our harbor used to charge by the length of the slip except for end ties which were charged by the length of the boat. In 1998 when we acquired our PNW boat slips were about $6.25 a foot. So our 40' slip was about $250/month, $3,000/year.

Like most places the moorage rate has crept up a bit every year. It's my understanding that our harbor, which is under the jurisdiction of the Port of Bellingham, is mandated to pay its own way. In other words, no city tax income can be used to support the harbor. So the harbor expenses--- maintenance, improvements, and repairs--- have to be paid for by the income the harbor generates. So slip fees, tennant leases and rents, and so forth.

Like a number of harbors in this region, our harbor has recently started charging using a formula which includes the length of the slip and the footprint of the boat.

Our PNW boat is 36' but we have opted to lease a 45' slip because we may be wanting to put a boat of that length in the slip in the future. So our current monthly fee for our 36' x 12' boat is about $500 or about $6,000 a year.

I pay $500 a month for a 50' boat including water and 30 amp electric behind a guy's house!
Gregg

$630 pcm all up, for 36ft. A competitive rate for here. It includes electricity and water.

OK, time for me to move out of SoCal!
Slip fee $680 per month (38 footer in a 35 foot slip). $350.00 liveaboard fee to Sheriff's department, average of $35 per month water/power (30 amp). Property tax $350 per year.

The lowest I have seen is in Kake Alaska, $360 per year for 40 feet plus power with a 10% discount for payment in advance.

Tom

In Salisbury MA where I keep my boat it really depends on exactly where you are. Costs from marina to marina vary quite a bit with the higher costs mostly depending on how close to the ocean you are. At my marina, moorings are $1350 for the season and slips are $119/foot - also for the season. Water, power and WIFI included.

Ken

My own 53'4" fixed concrete dock at the bottom of my own garden, sitting in fresh water, with lock access to the ICW.

$0, zip, nada.

Back
Top Bottom