Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #20
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Agree, ref Coinjock... and quality/quantity. They were friendly, though, and the fuel prices were decent... so all that plus a big, honkin' slab o' decent-enough meat suited us the time we went through there.

Haven't taken the Dismal. Our air clearance is 29' due to the 'riggers... Any problems with overhanging trees on that route?

If we were to go south in Fall and then return north in Spring, and wanted to take one route down and the other route back, which is better (Virgina or Dismal) in Fall and Spring? If there's any difference... ?

Wasn't overwhelmed with marine facilities immediately near Elizabeth City when we did a drive-by (shopping for a building lot) a few years ago, although the town has always had a friendly reputation, and still does as far as I know.

Lamb's is good, huh?

-Chris
Sailboats do it all the time...I usually do it with very little traffic so there is almost never anyone coming the other way or passing requiring moving to the side. So no, your riggers shouldn't be a problem but you DO have to pay close attention for 20+ miles. It is slow speed though, so paying attention is critical but reaction time less so.

It is shallow and if you draw more than 5-6 feet...better to go around than sweat it. I think the controlling depth is 7 feet but would have to recheck.

The distances are close.

Not sure what facilities are better one way or the other. In the spring, E-City makes a bigger deal of transients and has a nice, free watermans museum across the street from the free docks.

If you think you can...each way once in a lifetime...only personal preference will decide which is better or even routinely doable.

After 6-8 Dismal trips..almost want to do the other just for change.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote