Cutlass bearing for gulfstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveandZoila

Vessel Name
Miss Rita
Vessel Make
2004 Heritage East
I need to change cutlass bearing on 44 Gulfstar. It is the same as the 34-43 GS, it is stamped on the strut. Any body know the size of bearing? It is a 1.5” shaft.

If you know it's the same size as the ones on a 34-43 GS and its stamped on your strut what info are you missing?

If the boat is out of the water just measure it. Or pull the old one and take the measurements. Strut bearings are readily available.
So you should be able to get one in a day or two at most, unless you're in the middle of no where. :D

Bearing

My strut is stamped 34-36GS, not the size. I just wanted to order bearing because I have to travel to another state to work on it.
Also does any one know where to buy a spare shaft? aprox. cost?

Steve,
I had great service from Tyler Dominey Propeller and Metal Art, Inc. • 6005 Habersham Street • Brunswick, Georgia 31520
Phone: 912-264-2942 • Fax: 912-262-0067 • Tyler Dominey: Email • Cell: 912-222-8437

Bearings

Thanks, if they have lasted you 10 years they must be high quality! I will go to their web site. I have only one bearing with play, but I might change both since I am on the hard. Since I have nothing else to do. LOL Steve

I pressed mine into the bores. Easy enough to unbolt the struts for me as I had to get out the old bushings by pressing, they were tight but yielded to a few tons of force and a little heat from a torch.

First I put the bushings in the freezer as that shrinks them slightly. Then I pressed in the new vesconite bushes, they went in fine. I would make sure the strut inside bore is clean and a slight chamfered - sanded edge so they don't cut the bushes going in.

This was back in 2005. I got them from South Africa by air mail, they were real good on the phone. I think now you can get them here from USA. I paid $23 for each back then included shipping. My shafts are 1 3/8 and bushes are 6 inch long.
I do think they made mine to order being they are metric not standard over there.

I actually have been impressed with them, on my haulout in 2014, they were not worn loose at all.
The rubber on my old bushes was coming loose, an advantage of a vesconite bush is they are solid, so no delamination can happen. Another advantage is they are self lubricating, so if the water flow is impeded they wont wear themself or the shafts.

Last edited:
If your prop shaft is 1.5" the bearing will be a 6" long 2" outer dia with 1.5" inner.
you can buy those with either brass or phenolic plastic outer casing.
These are manufactured by Countrose, engineering in Derby, England.
You can buy them from ASAP supplies (just Google them) they'll happily ship worldwide, alternatively you can try Vetus.com.
The bearing can be carefully drifted out.
There are 2 small grub screws that secure the bearing in place, be sure to clean any old anti fouling to locate them, remove them carefully, clean everything and coat the screw threads with copper grease or other proprietary anti seize compound before replacing them.
If you look at my post 'Ireland to the Mediterranean Part 1' you will see when we arrived in Dunkirk on the last few pages how we changed the outer bearing on 'Snow Mouse'.
I would highly recommend fitting a PSS seal when the shaft is removed, I've one fitted on our other boat for 15 years with no problems at all.

Last edited:
GFO packing for me, it fits what I have, personally think it is the best, least disruptive easiest choice to go dripless. My old shafts were not pristine, so with flax they always leaked a small stream after a run. The GFO does not do that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom