Interesting Device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
A link to this came to me through Active Captain. There's a discount for AC members.

Scandvik Clean Way Fuel Fill Kit

301670.jpg

If it works as advertised it would be a solution to my fuelling problem. Has anyone here used this device?

I agree that it looks like it would work. I came real close to ordering today. Discount is good through the 12th I believe. Could not find any reviews with Google. I also would like to hear of any use.

Looks like a simple solution to a common problem. Wish they had a simple one to the fuel vent overflow. I have a bottle with a hole in the side that fits over the fuel vent attached to the hull with suction cups. Works good but impossible to fit on the side not next to the dock.

Thanks for the link. Interesting responses, especially considering that nobody who responded had actually bought or used one.

My issue (and a couple people seemed to have the same issue) is that I get fuel gushing out of the fuel fill when I shut off the nozzle even if the tank is not full or nearly full.

Several posters complained about the price. The Active Captain special price this week is $56 (or so, I don't remember) at defender. Considering the fines that I could get if the wrong person witnessed a spill, that doesn't seem too bad.

Someone complained about storage. I keep all my fuel or oil devices in zip lock plastic bags inside plastic totes. Works for me.

I plan on buying it although I won't have a chance to test it until next May or so. I'll try to remember to post a review.

I'll match that price for any TF member. Just send me a PM that you want one.

Hi Hopcar - what would postage be to Brisbane, Australia?

Priority Mail postage to Oz would be $49.59

Looks like a simple solution to a common problem. Wish they had a simple one to the fuel vent overflow. I have a bottle with a hole in the side that fits over the fuel vent attached to the hull with suction cups. Works good but impossible to fit on the side not next to the dock.

Racor makes a fuel vent line overflow protector that really works. It's easy to install and there is no maintenance needed on the unit. I have installed three of them without a problem.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349059|2349073&id=133911

To make it really beneficial they need to add a whistle to it so it sounds when air passes through but the whistle stops when fuel enters the line. That way you know when the tank is full.

The only way I know my tanks are full is when fuel vents.

Racor makes a fuel vent line overflow protector that really works. It's easy to install and there is no maintenance needed on the unit. I have installed three of them without a problem.

Racor Lifeguard 3-Stage Vent Line Fuel / Air Separator - 5/8"

My boat came with 2 of those per tank. The tanks are about 10' long and have a vent at both ends. The vents are next to the fill pipe, so I should be able to hear the flow. Only filled the tanks once so far since buying the boat, and don't remember an overflow issue.

DSCN1547.jpg

Ted

Last edited:

Attachments

• 9396706.jpg
    9396706.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,077
The inventer of the Clean Way device will be demonstrating it in my booth at the Miami International Boat Show.

You know if the vents were installed HIGHER than the fill like my spare tanks are, there would be no vent spillage. I noticed this on my last refill.

Several people here are missing the point. The device in question is intended to capture "splash back" from the actual fuel fill fitting, not the vent. That is an entirely different problem with an entirely different solution.

"You know if the vents were installed HIGHER than the fill like my spare tanks are, there would be no vent spillage. I noticed this on my last refill."

An easy low cost solution,,,,NICE!

If your tank has a seperate vent, fuel will still spill from that vent. Maybe Ive got it wrong but it seems this device keeps your deck clean but does nothing to prevent fuel leakage into the water (potentially).

Glad to see the vent line whistles are available again from "mainstream" suppliers. For a long time, nobody seemed to know what they were or where to get them. The last boat I knew of that had one was an old Bertram 28, the owner of which has since passed away. Before that, I hadn't seen (actually, heard) one since the 70's. Very handy!

Seems to me that with the vent higher than the fuel fill, that makes it more likely for fuel to back up and out the fill fitting.

Seems to me that with the vent higher than the fuel fill, that makes it more likely for fuel to back up and out the fill fitting.

That maybe true but you can hear it getting full, then just slowly top it off. No fuel out the vent.

In my experience...it is where the vent and fill lines are in the tank and whether there is a slight extension into the tank on either. The right combo of either makes for splashing, venting, etc or not.

If the vent is at the lower end of a tank and the fill at the upper end....it's gonna spurt no matter what unless you have a whistle or catchment....even if the overboard end of the vent is mounted higher than the fill...it may still spurt.

In my experience...it is where the vent and fill lines are in the tank and whether there is a slight extension into the tank on either. The right combo of either makes for splashing, venting, etc or not....................

The vent has to be at the top of the tank or it won't vent at all. The fill will work lower but it will work best at the top where there is no resistance to the flow. Like pouring water into a bucket.

I had a chance to examine my vent outlets the other day. There is a metal cover with the opening pointed down and aft as one might expect but there is also a restriction on the boat hull itself, presumably to further prevent water from entering. This effectively reduces the cross section of the vent and may be part of my fueling problem. I don't see an easy solution though.

I have no overflow issues.
The vent line hose is connected to the highest point on the tanks and then goes up another foot to the thruhull. The fill line comes off the side off the tank at the top, but about an inch or two below the vent connection.

The 2" fill line begins backing up (and gurgling) before the vent sees any diesel. There is a noticeable change of sound as the tanks near the full level.

The vent has to be at the top of the tank or it won't vent at all. The fill will work lower but it will work best at the top where there is no resistance to the flow. Like pouring water into a bucket.

I had a chance to examine my vent outlets the other day. There is a metal cover with the opening pointed down and aft as one might expect but there is also a restriction on the boat hull itself, presumably to further prevent water from entering. This effectively reduces the cross section of the vent and may be part of my fueling problem. I don't see an easy solution though.

I know that...but that doesn't stop some tank manufactures from sticking a pipe into a hole and welding it up without due regard. It will vent till almost full , then it won't, and splash may result from the fill hole....happened to the assistance towboat I used to drive all the time.

If the vent is that way and on the lower end of the tank, and the fill is done right...well....physics.

I work for a company that does salvages and winds up with dozens of all different kinds of boat fuel tanks every year. Most are cut up for scrap so its easy to see manufacturing defects.

Last edited:
my friend's fill cap is located on the side of the boat, this would work on the side rather than horizontal to the deck?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom