Achilles LSI 96 with air floor - davit suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusbet

Veteran Member
We have a 1986 Monk36.* The dinghy is an Achilles LSI96 with air floor and keel.* The motor is 6HP Yamaha 4 stroke.* We would like a recommendation for a reasonably priced davit system that enables us to keep the motor on the dinghy.* Any recommendations?

rusbet wrote:

We have a 1986 Monk36.* The dinghy is an Achilles LSI96 with air floor and keel.* The motor is 6HP Yamaha 4 stroke.* We would like a recommendation for a reasonably priced davit system that enables us to keep the motor on the dinghy.* Any recommendations?
Adventure marine or Weaver systems.* You will probably have from $700-1000 in it depending on your choice.* I would go for the Weaver leaver so that when you upgrade to a larger engine you can still use it.* Of course that system is about $1,000.* That is what I have.* It will support my 15hp Yamaha.

rusbet wrote:We have a 1986 Monk36.* The dinghy is an Achilles LSI96 with air floor and keel.* The motor is 6HP Yamaha 4 stroke.* We would like a recommendation for a reasonably priced davit system that enables us to keep the motor on the dinghy.* Any recommendations?
I have a question.* How does the 6HP Yanmar move the dink with the air floor?* And what is the length of the dink?

I have that same engine and it just won't get the dink I have on a plane with two people in the dink.* My dink is an AL hard bottom but it is only nine feet so that may be the biggest problem.

I agree with Don the Weaver system is the answer as is a*Sea Wise but the Weaver is less money by $1,500.

JD
Our inflatable is 9 1/2 ft. It move fine but we will only be using it to move from boat to shore for the most part and are not interested in speed. The dingy is rated for a motor between 4-8 HP so we are in the right range.

JD wrote:

I have that same engine and it just won't get the dink I have on a plane with two people in the dink.* My dink is an AL hard bottom but it is only nine feet so that may be the biggest problem.

I agree with Don the Weaver system is the answer as is a*Sea Wise but the Weaver is less money by $1,500.
JD, I have a 10'4" Caribe RIB with a 15hp Yamaha.* It flies.* I would think that a 9.9hp would get you up and running pretty well.* Try a google search on Tahotsu 9.9.** I think there are some videos of that engine running a dink.* Looked like they were moving pretty good.

Moonstruck wrote:

Here it is JD

Thanks Don,

I think 10HP would get my dink up on the plan with two people but then you get into the weight issue of the engine.* I think I'm going to end up with a 10-10.5 foot dink (four folks) and 9.9 or 15 HP.

Thanks again.

JD wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

Here it is JD

Thanks Don,

I think 10HP would get my dink up on the plan with two people but then you get into the weight issue of the engine.* I think I'm going to end up with a 10-10.5 foot dink (four folks) and 9.9 or 15 HP.

Thanks again.

JD, if you are planning on 4 people in a 10-11' dink, 15hp would probably be the minimum.* Our Caribe is rated for 20hp, but the 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha at 79# comes in just under the limit for the Weaver Leaver.* It will move 2 people about 25 mph.* Never tried to plane it off with four people.* It would probably struggle.

Hee is a picture of the rig.* The bimini top is to keep the snow off of us when in the islands.

Attachments

• caribe dinghy 003.jpg
    caribe dinghy 003.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 135
Moonstruck wrote:

JD wrote:JD, if you are planning on 4 people in a 10-11' dink, 15hp would probably be the minimum.**
Don,

For the most part it will be two and the dog.* The reason for the four number is if we have guests aboard I want to be able to go ashore or sight seeing with everyone on board.* The dink I have now is a three person boat and that always*requires two trips. *So that will be the exception not the rule.* At that time, four on board, I don't think I'm to worried about it*planning.

Sorry for the confusion.* And yes I want to stay within the Weaver Leaver specs.

Back
Top Bottom