105' yacht sinks off Fort Lauderdale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if they , like the USCG would be overwhelmed in some areas of the US where the boating population is staggering at times.

Thats funny S right there. The experts did not bother to get their facts straight in the hull material thread, kinda my point.

""There may have been a possible grounding on the way out of Port Everglades and it wasn’t noticed until they were further offshore,” said Sadowicz

Investigators are checking to see if a shaft that attaches from inside the boat to a stabilizer on the bottom may have fallen out."

My post regarding insurance coverage was not regarding the cost of the tow or salvage effort but with regards to reimbursement for the value of the vessel as a total loss. He may have endangered his coverage by not retaining Class.

......... And the lady in the picture is obviously not Brazilian. Her top has to much fabric to it to be a Brazilian suit.

Wrong on both counts! Her name is Gisele Bündchen and she's a Brazilian fashion model wearing a Brazilian bikini.

https://asurfingfashion.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/the-brazilian-bikini/

9631-albums319-picture2680.jpg

Side note:

Since 2004, she has been the highest-paid model in the world, and as of 2007 was the 16th richest woman in the entertainment industry. Oh, and she's married to Tom Brady.

Last edited:
My post regarding insurance coverage was not regarding the cost of the tow or salvage effort but with regards to reimbursement for the value of the vessel as a total loss. He may have endangered his coverage by not retaining Class.

I doubt it. It's not uncommon for a boat to go out of class. It might up your premium but you would not lose your insurance.

So, not "The Girl from Emphysema"?

I wonder if they , like the USCG would be overwhelmed in some areas of the US where the boating population is staggering at times.

Their big advantage is that they are not looking for the boogie man or harassing their citizens continuously like the USCG has been tasked to do since becoming part of homeland security.

Investigators are checking to see if a shaft that attaches from inside the boat to a stabilizer on the bottom may have fallen out."

Yeah. That would be a problem.

"Hey, any you guys hear that? No? Must be my imagination. Ahead full."

Greetings,
Having transited Port Everglades countless times I know it is well marked, well lit, deep and wide. One would have to be way off the channel to ding anything even on a 105' vessel.

Last edited:
One of my first thoughts - was a recent yard trip where servicing the stabilizers on the to do list? A 4 to 6" hole 5 feet below the WL could quickly prove fatal.

Pure speculation of course.

Just a 4" hole from a dropped shaft? You'd think one of the Brazilian babes could have jumped overboard and popped a champagne cork or two in it

OK that's enough of that, bring on some more Brazilians!

So on a vessel of that size, what would the dewatering capacity (bilge pumps) be? I would like to think that my 4 bilge pumps could keep up with a raw water hose failure, just curious what a ship of that class would be required to have?

Ted

I would like to think that my 4 bilge pumps could keep up with a raw water hose failure, just curious what a ship of that class would be required to have?
Ted

If a raw water hose completely failed down stream of the raw water pump there is no way my 3 bilge pumps could handle that much water. Maybe with the engine at idle but even then I doubt it.

I have a high water alarm that I installed about 4" above my center bilge pump connected to a siren. If it sounds I'm preparing to run the boat aground or deploy the dinghy as the pumps have already failed to control the water coming in.

So on a vessel of that size, what would the dewatering capacity (bilge pumps) be? I would like to think that my 4 bilge pumps could keep up with a raw water hose failure, just curious what a ship of that class would be required to have?

Ted
Ted...I agree.

Not assuming you aren't experienced to know this, and actually as a diver you might have seen first hand some of this....but I am spelling it out for the newbies/curious.

In this case the boat just didn't take on water it sank.

We usually never hear of all the times boats have major issues begin but warning systems, good safety equipment and well prepared crews take care od business before it gets out of hand. Thus no news. Like in many areas of life.

In many accident reports I have reviewed, it usually was something dumb and even a second almost ridiculous mistake that made it turn from issue to accident.

Many progressive flooding accidents result from a small problem that gets away from the crew because a warning device was inoperable but they still sailed (known or not checked)...then as the flooding or fire progressed, it became near impossible to stop the initial issue and now other issues ass and this is where the second system failure nails the coffin.

In this case we suspect flooding (as reported by the crew). Even if that was unstoppable, as Spy pointed out, there originally were seemingly, plenty of watertight bulkheads.

So if it were my investigation...one track would be to determine where the water started. The other, how and why it got out of hand. As more info like Capt Bill brought up emerges, even more avenues to investigate are added.

Just because it was built and equipped not to sink, that could be a long stretch to the actual events leading to this sinking.

Last edited:
How much effort will be spent investigating a private recreational vessel sinking and is there a limit to how much public money will be spent.

Ted

On the last two classes vessels I worked on we had a large capacity pump connected to a manifold system where you could manually pick which compartment to dewater by throwing valves.

And as I recall on at least one of them we had large Rule pumps in those spaces as well.

Of course we had high water alarm sensors in each compartment.

But even with all that a moderately large hole could overwhelm your dewatering capacity.

Ted

If they say the draft was 11' so you know that all the bilge pumps now have an 11' head (at least) which diminishes their capacity by 60-70%.

If they were smart, the prop shafts would have been equipped with high capacity pumps like a fast flow pump, so that if the water gets to the shaft level, they hit the pumps, as long as the shafts are spinning.

Fast Flow Pumps - Bilge Pump

But perhaps the captain stops to see what happened, and to the bottom the boat went..

How much effort will be spent investigating a private recreational vessel sinking and is there a limit to how much public money will be spent.

I was talking to the owner of a salvage company yesterday that does that kind of work, he said in most cases if the depth of the water the vessel sank in is over about 600' the insurance companies will not bother to try and inspect the vessel based on the costs involved to get to it and inspect it properly.

No public money will be spent either.

Last edited:

With no death and no foul play suspected...not sure if there even will be an investigation.

I used to be amazed at how may SAR cases I was involved in that stank up the room never were investigated...everything from fraud man overboard/missing person (possible murder).

The last big recreational vessel sinking I was involved with did have a file made up by the Marine Safety Office. It may have been concerned about the side show stuff more than anything like fuel/oil spill, etc....

But the investigator with the file stayed on it as the insurance company was spending the big bucks to have a barge and crane out 60 miles off Jersey for months. He would request helo flights out occasionally to observe. Usually as in USCG fashion, the flights were not dedicated but rolled into another or several mission profiles so not a lot of money was really being spent just on that accident.

Once the salvage was abandoned, I never heard another thing about it as even the media though it was old news.

Last edited:
Just wondering where the line is drawn as to when the Feds get involved in a boating accident/incident. On the flying side, the NTSB investigates all accidents, private or commercial.

The Investigative Process

The National Transportation Safety Board was established in 1967 to conduct independent investigations of all civil aviation accidents in the United States and major accidents in the other modes of transportation. It is not part of the Department of Transportation, nor organizationally affiliated with any of DOT's modal agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration. The Safety Board has no regulatory or enforcement powers.

Of course like many times in Govt......if the accident is newsworthy and it hits home one way or another with important enough people.....any Govt agency can be drug into it.

Not sure about vessels that are foreign flagged or have other than plain vanilla status with the US...that could also force Feds in to side by side with the state on simple boating accidents.

Back
Top Bottom