Old 01-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #40
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Flushing your cooling system with ridlyme is not a definitive way to clean your coolers. Any picture of a clogged cooler will explain why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep, I know it's not the real thing. Just was easy to do as a sorta-kinda a preventive measure in a raw water system that seems to be operating at spec.It was an easy way to get to the fuel cooler, transmission oil cooler, raw water side of the aftercooler, etc. all at once. Buying some time 'til the real deal becomes necessary. (Aftercoolers due for real service in early March.)

I should have added, I flushed the genset HX with Rydlyme at the same time, and in this case I actually did take before/after photos. The Rydlyme did a very good job of cleaning the raw water side. Lots of gunk visible before, no visible gunk afterwards.

Then later, when we used flushed the mains with Restore and replaced the antifreeze with new... we did all that on the genset freshwater side, too.

Probably still not the same as removing and taking it to a shop, but much easier for me to do.

-Chris