How about this battery bank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1453728422.211643.jpg

Must be AGM or gel. Looks like a lot of weight concentrated in one spot but I'm sure that was accounted for in the design and placement. The frame looks very robust -- and certainly needs to be! Imagine those things toppling over in a seaway.

Used to have a stacked setup up like this in an office closet for computer backup in the event of a power failure. Worked great, no worries in the office about beam seas or low CG.

Lots of time spent on the vessel build too. Note the gate valves in rhe fuel system, not my favorite.

Last edited:
AGMs on their side are typically derated 10%.

Keith

Note the gate valves in rhe fuel system, not my favorite.

Is the main problem with the gate valve that you can't tell of it's open or closed at a glance or is it weaker than a ball valve structurally?

I understand gate valves are supposed to be bad on thru hulls, but didn't know if they were bad for all other applications.

I understand gate valves are supposed to be bad on thru hulls, but didn't know if they were bad for all other applications.

Rather than to say bad I'd say not preferred. Yes, on off can be told at a glance.

Visit the fuel system valving on many vessels such as Nordhavn, Fleming, DeFever, Selene, and many others and likely see a predominance of SS ball valves. When changing fuel filters I want the flow stopped 100%. But I've used gate valves too, they are generally by design and construction not as leakproof.

The vessel in general looks well thought out. I'd guess a reasonable offer would claim it. Steel doesn't bother me and owner care and yard reputation are seemingly very good.

Last edited:
I think that battery "box" was built by the by Mastervolt who did the inverters, chargers and genset. If there was one boat that is actually better than factory, I think it would be this one, and OC Diver's boat :)

I would have changed a few things on this boat:

The hatch on the cockpit blocks stepping over the open hole. had it been rotated 90 degrees you could at least step over the hole. Also, if you're handing down stuff for the freezer (in the lazzerette) you have to hand it over the standing hatch.

The boat even has a gasoline tank for the tender, accessible from the swim platform.

The gate valves don't work well for me.

The engines are V-drive and that makes access to the shaft seals hard to get to. The engine room is very tight (for me).

The galley lacks an oven and I didn't like the aft position of it. But with everything else on the boat, it fits the boat.

I'm 6' 3" tall and kept knocking my head on stuff. Especially coming down steps.

The hatch to the flybridge needs adjustment or just plain fixing, since it sticks. Also, the dogs are manual, and you have to unlock all the dogs to go up.

The colors are light and airy, and the joinery is well done.

The price is getting down to bargain basement range.

The hull paint was new last year and looked showroom fresh.

I have not been away from the dock on this boat but walked through it a few times.

I think the "directors chairs" seem to put off most people looking at this boat. Compared to built-in settess and other seating, the folding chairs don't really fit.

The guy thought of just about everything.

The mast has a hydraulic cylinder to lay it back so all you have to do is drop the fore-stay and open the valve to stow the mast.

The details they covered on this boat are amazing. The inside of the chromed rub rail (made of a split pipe) is filled with oil to prevent rusting. There is no way to paint it once it was welded to the hull, so they filled it with oil. There is an allen wrench plug in the bottom.

It sounds like it's underpowered with 2 84hp cat NA diesels, but if you run the hull numbers, it has all it needs.

Someone is going to get a bargain ship...

Stu

The mooring bollards look a bit light duty to me. I wouldn't want to leave the boat suspended from them for more than a year or two.

Stu

No stabilizers? Fins could be added but them banging against a steel and painted hull would require some planning. Would you pick this vessel over an N46 of similar vintage and price? And, one of a kind questions.

Dude, are you ready?

The lack of stabilizers are a concern. Broker said due to the weight and the huge twin keels it doesn't need them, but I'm calling BS. Any opinions on that? I suppose fish could be added fairly easily since it's steel, but that would mess up the pretty paint job.

I thought engine room access was pretty damn good!

The V-drives also turn me off, but maybe that's because I don't have any experience with them. Wonder why they did that? Why add the extra possible failure point/complexity?

Boat seems complex for my skills, but maybe I can learn?

It would cost $10000 to replace all those 2v gell batteries. That setup seems kind of crazy.

Never seen those little Cat engines on any other boats. I like the NA aspect. Are these engines good?

It's keel cooled and wet exhaust, like Andy's N62!

No, I'm not really ready, but if the right deal floated by....

Last edited:
Stu

No stabilizers? Fins could be added but them banging against a steel and painted hull would require some planning. Would you pick this vessel over an N46 of similar vintage and price? And, one of a kind questions.

Dude, are you ready?

The real question is which do you like better, fiberglass or steel?

That's arguing religion... Either you believe or you don't.

Steel has it's ups and downs, as does every other building material.

I have not been aboard this boat offshore so I don't know if it rolls. I did like the boat a lot and I prefer the NA cat engines. I would prefer 5 cylinder air cooled Deutz diesels but Cat's not a bad 2nd choice ;) Back in the day, we used to call the Cat engines fuel cooled engines, since by comparison, they sucked down lots more fuel than a Deutz.

I know the boat has been WELL taken care of and is in better condition than all other used boats that I've seen. If only I were in as good a condition as it is...

Everyone knows a Nordhavn is rolly, but that's due to their hull shape. I think this one would probably be less rolly inherently since much of it's weight is low. and the upper house is aluminum. How many boats use a detacouple joint? Not many (outside military). Even the engine intakes and exhaust vents on the boat deck can be closed for heavy weather.

I went down to the boat with a camera to take photos but forgot to pull out the camera and take any...

It is simple, but tough. There are complex features that were designed into the boat.

If you really want to slow down (8knts max) this is probably the boat to do it. It is probably one that will run for years with minimal maintenance. I suspect their cache of spares is probably 5+ years before you'd need to buy more.

The draft might be a problem for some people in skinny water.

The fact that no solar panels were included means you're running the gennie regularly to top off the batteries or using the engines... Solar would be nice but where would you put it?

I didn't like the round rungs on the boat deck ladder... hard on my feet, but easily fixed.

Broker said due to the weight and the huge twin keels it doesn't need them, but I'm calling BS. Any opinions on that?

I'd wonder if maybe the twin keels act to stabilize in much the same way bilge keels are said to work...

-Chris

I'd wonder if maybe the twin keels act to stabilize in much the same way bilge keels are said to work...

-Chris

I think that was what she was claiming.

"Compared to built-in settess and other seating,"

Sitting on a chunk of wood with a cushion stinks compared to real sprung and covered seat.

On a shallow draft boat , esp one of Euro design , the bilge keels are so the vessel will stay upright when desired when the tide is out.

Many Brits have berths that can only be accessed from 1/2 tide or more.

They learn to live with it.

"

On a shallow draft boat , esp one of Euro design , the bilge keels are so the vessel will stay upright when desired when the tide is out.

Many Brits have berths that can only be accessed from 1/2 tide or more.

They learn to live with it.

I'm not sure I would call this a shallow draft boat, but the skegs do keep this boat standing up nicely when the tide goes out.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1453828087.429668.jpg

Question to those in these big tide areas-- How does one know that the underlying ground is level enough for this to work? Seems like if it was not level or if the bottom was unstable the boat could tilt and tip over.

Question to those in these big tide areas-- How does one know that the underlying ground is level enough for this to work? Seems like if it was not level or if the bottom was unstable the boat could tilt and tip over.

Not to worry, the vessel is resting on a constructed tidal grid built for the purpose. I've seen all sorts of vessels, singles, twins, sailboats etc on tidal grids. You do have to tie it to the vertical wall section though, as is done in the picture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom