View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
psneeld
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Actually there are two main ways to understand/afford boating with the middle seemingly filled by very few.

Either you learn everything including how to repair everything (except maybe an engine rebuild)...or you break out the checkbook/credit card and just have someone else worry about it.

But to a point...both groups have to know whether they are buying well or poorly. Buying a cored boat is either or, just like any other boat.

My boat was supposedly solid glass...big deal...there was a 6X6 area that had delaminated at least half way through the total thickness and so many blisters the moon looked smooth next to it.

Previous owner said nothing, surveyor said nothing to worry about, builder had a better rep than most.

Nothing in life is guaranteed so learn the pitfalls and watch out for them...but CORED by itself is not a bad thing as some have said already.

My philosophy was buy old and cheap, rebuild the way I wanted it and hope the boat lasted the 20 years I needed it as a liveaboard. If bought fo approx. 50-60 thousand and another 40 thousand spent on repairs and upgrades thoughout it's life....that is about $5,000 per year assuming I can unload it for nothing. Let's say I have to pay $20,000 to dumster it...that's $6,000 per year or about half of the taxes I would pay where I live with a much better view from the boat.

Plus it is my vacation home in Florida for 20 years...no real extra cost depending how you do it.

But as you can see...all boats of the same model and vintage cost about the same....cheap and fix or great and turn key...but the bottom line isn't a whole lot different except the boat is more like you want it earlier and cheaper if it's a project boat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote