Looking for boaters traversing gulf Islands in 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Hudspeth

Vessel Name
North Sea
Vessel Make
Rawson
My wife and I are old to boating, but new to the trawler lifestyle. Last year we did the San Juans and felt lonely going Island to Island by ourselves. Is there a source for information that could help us get acquainted with other trawler owners planning on northwest trips, or do meet and greet on the water, other than joining a yacht club?

Bob, you might want to look into joining an "owners" group with boats same as yours. Also, chances are you'll have better luck meeting people as you travel further into the Gulf Islands. Many boaters you encounter in the San Juans are folks who still have jobs and busy lives away from the water...the further north you go the slower the pace and more likely you are to meet like minded people. Try Ganges, Maple Bay, Genoa, etc. Good luck !

I started in Vancouver BC, so my sources will be different from yours, but here it is:
We did join a yacht club as soon as we had a boat. The YC had no physical facilities so the fees were very low. It concentrated on monthly meetings that were well attended, with presentations of relevant material, and on long weekend and short weekend cruises that were long on social together times. That was in 1977. We are still friends with people we met during those early years, though we moved on ten years later, to a club that has lots of physical facilities and the attendant higher costs. Without a concerted effort to befriend your casually met other boaters, a club is your best way to get a group of friends with those similarities. Good hunting.

Here is one way.
We only have a 2 week charter under our belt as experience in the PNW and are planning on being in the area from Anacortes to Alaska starting late-April into September this year.

We are starting our trip with a Flotilla type group to get a little "hand -holding" in the beginning. Hope to learn a lot and meet some people. They have a variety of trips.

Of course..I'm an independent, macho type guy and I'm sure I could do it ALL myself but...just to make my wife feel better :rofl:

2016 Waggoner Flotilla Cruising - Waggoner Cruising Guide

Thanks to all of you that replied so far. The flotilla idea is what I had in mind without the added costs of guides, but it has given me food for thought. May you all have trailing winds and helpful tides.

Sometimes flotilla type groups can be found through Power Squadrons in addition to yacht clubs.
We too belong to a small y.c. with no facilities, so fees are low, but several cruises are organized each year.
Ask around your marina and pay attention to vessels flying burgees. Ask

Here are 3 Gulf Is socializing events that all you need to do is show up. There are literally dozens more if you include the Broughtons and Desolation.

1. Go to Ganges for the Saturday morning market
2. Anchor at Montague the weekend before US Memorial Day. Go to the shore. This is Canada's holiday and a great boating kickoff party.
3. Tie up at docks in front of the Empress Hotel.

No flotilla required, just a dinghy and a Waggoners.

Great suggestions thank you all. The small yacht club or squadron is a new avenu for us.

E-Boatcards.com and Active Captain

My wife and I are old to boating, but new to the trawler lifestyle. Last year we did the San Juans and felt lonely going Island to Island by ourselves. Is there a source for information that could help us get acquainted with other trawler owners planning on northwest trips, or do meet and greet on the water, other than joining a yacht club?

I have a great suggestion for you. Go online and register on E-Boat Cards.com. Then get the Active Captain Ap on you laptop, Android or IOS device. E Boat Cards works like Face Book, but without all the garbage. You can "friend" other boaters and with the Active Captain Companion see where they are on a chart. Also, Active Captain is an excellent "crowd sourced" very comprehensive cruising atlas. In addition there are special groups, including one entitled the San Juans that I started. You find friend through their boat name. If you want to send me a "friend request" just search for "TINKA" in E-Boat Cards. We have spent the last 32 years in the San Juans and Gulf Islands and would be pleased to share info with you. :thumb:

"Here are 3 Gulf Is socializing events that all you need to do is show up. There are literally dozens more if you include the Broughtons and Desolation.

1. Go to Ganges for the Saturday morning market
2. Anchor at Montague the weekend before US Memorial Day. Go to the shore. This is Canada's holiday and a great boating kickoff party.
3. Tie up at docks in front of the Empress Hotel.

No flotilla required, just a dinghy and a Waggoners."

1 If you get to Ganges, there is a lot more there than the Sat morning market. If you are looking for fine dining, try the House Piccolo, the Harbour House, or Hastings House
2 If you get to Montague, in the summer, take the bus to the Hummingbird Pub. Just a pub, but the ride is priceless. Schedule is posted at the dock.
3. Well, this is the centre of Victoria after all, so no limits!

Bob,

Where do you keep your boat, Where do you live. How much tine do you spend on the boat. We keep our boat in La Conner and spend quite a bit of time in the San Juans and the south Gulf Islands. Over the last three years we have spent about 50 nights on the boat each year. A week or so at a time, some time more. Let me know when and we may be able to hook up somewhere on the water. Take a look at I Boat Northwest. They are a group of NW boaters and quite often some of them will meet on the water.

Fred P...............

I have a great suggestion for you. Go online and register on E-Boat Cards.com. Then get the Active Captain Ap on you laptop, Android or IOS device. E Boat Cards works like Face Book, but without all the garbage. You can "friend" other boaters and with the Active Captain Companion see where they are on a chart. Also, Active Captain is an excellent "crowd sourced" very comprehensive cruising atlas. In addition there are special groups, including one entitled the San Juans that I started. You find friend through their boat name. If you want to send me a "friend request" just search for "TINKA" in E-Boat Cards. We have spent the last 32 years in the San Juans and Gulf Islands and would be pleased to share info with you. :thumb:

I registered on Eboatcard.com, looks good. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom