Navionics screw up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apple maps, accessed from the iNavX app shows the treed islet.

View attachment 48164

I wouldn't use Apple's maps for anything other than basic information that can easily be incorrect. It took Apple several years to finally make a change that showed Port Canaveral as land-locked :)

Once they showed me three routes to get to a place and one was driving up the wrong direction of highway 528... I'm glad I didn't choose door #3.

The Apple map looks like it is in satellite/aerial mode....think it was proving his point that it does dry.....

There was a thread a couple months ago by a well seasoned and qualified chap in the NE. Maine, maybe. Same situation, I don't remember which chart and couldn't find the thread.

There was a similar thread on cruisersforum about an island someplace to the west (I think) of South America. C-Map discrepancy, if I remember right.

Not a particularly small island. Present in one version of their chart package, not present on another -- which would have seemed likely to include the island from their description of coverage area. As I remember, C-Map fixed it.

-Chris

Something that I don't believe anyone has mentioned in this thread is that Navionics actually gives you the ability to update your own chart so you have the ability (and I dare say RESPONSIBILITY) to update the chart so that others (and even yourself when you return to that spot) can have the most updated data.

Think about the nature of the ocean (and even lakes)... water in general. It's constantly moving and changing, thus changing the land around it and under it. These changes make it impossible for any company or organization to have all charts correct in all places at all times.

I was sailing in the Caribbean and there is a bank of moving sand that was slightly off on my Navionics chart and I ran aground. When the locals helped me off they told me that area was known to the locals for it's shifting sands. Instead of posting on a forum to complain about it or contacting Navionics for a whining session I took responsibility (using the tools that Navionics has given us) and I used Community Edits to update my chart and share the data with everyone else that utilizes Navionics.

Community Edits allows users like you and me to simply click on the point of interest, click the question mark, click Edit Map and enter information about that spot. Once you connect to Wifi or cell signal that data is uploaded to the Navionics servers where it is reviewed and then uploaded to the rest of the Navionics community so that all of your fellow boaters can benefit from your experience.

I realize that we pay money to these companies to give us the best data possible and help keep us safe on the water but no company has enough manpower to cover every nook and crannie of the entire globe. Instead they give us the ability to help ourselves. So let's help ourselves.

Yes! I bet he also bumped into a few rocks along the way.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

He did. I think somewhere in Queen Charlotte Str. Another ship of his group later hit another in Q.C.Str. Neither suffered any serous harm so when they refloated the next day they just carried on.
I no longer have the book so cannot go back to look it up. Just remember the occurrence.

A very long time ago Capt. George Vancouver was busy charting. How did he keep from sinking his boat in the uncharted waters he plyed? Vigilance.

You can view some his original hand drawn charts at the Vancouver Maritime Museum. Incredible respect for the quality and painstaking detail. The whole concept of charting uncharted waters is pretty amazing.

You can view some his original hand drawn charts at the Vancouver Maritime Museum. Incredible respect for the quality and painstaking detail. The whole concept of charting uncharted waters is pretty amazing.

Pretty cool ....when I was aboard the USCGC Glacier, a WWII class icebreaker that had done over 40 some years straight of Antarctic visits, the charts of Antarctica were pretty thin on info.....exploration map making was still going on in the 1980s.

When we visited Pine Island Bay at the base of the Antarctic Peninsula in 1985+/-, there was one line of soundings on the chart into a pretty large bay, and one line of soundings out.....basically a narrow, long loop. Those soundings were given to the chart agencies the last time she was in Pine Island Bay about 10 years earlier.

needless to say the bridge crews were constantly on their toes the entire time transiting in that bay. We knew assistance towing may not make it before winter set in...:eek:

Northern Spy said:
You can view some his original hand drawn charts at the Vancouver Maritime Museum.
The VMM is a great place to spend an afternoon or more.
It and the Anthropology Museum at UBC are both too little known. They are our heritage.

The VMM is a great place to spend an afternoon or more.
It and the Anthropology Museum at UBC are both too little known. They are our heritage.

We love all maritime museums.

I don't know if it's users failing to update, less experienced users in general (not referring to you, Hawgwash), their volume, or just my imagination, but it seems to me I've heard of more chart issues with Navionics than I have with any other charts. This is all hearsay as I've never personally used Navionics on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom