Am I crazy? Doing it cheaply in our 30s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next time you're at the boat ask your harbor master how easy it is to get a dredge permit. The dock extension permit should be a piece of cake by comparison.

Yup. What he said! :)

Depending on how far the dock would need to be extended to get deeper water, just floating-dock modules might be enough.

Your plan should work.
We started when I was about 32. We had two boats before our current one [32'] of now 30 years.
Our outlaws took their kids with them all the time. We, both families, were out most weekends and almost all vacations together. Yes, the kids fought and argued. They also had a heck of a good time. NOw, all in their [kids] 40's they still enjoy each others company. We all attribute that to the boating [and frequency] as they had to learn to get along, with lots of practice.

I would caution though that too much boat too soon could also goof things up. Not the financial aspect maybe but the mtce. Personally if I had my current boat as the first boat I likely would not be boating at all now. I developed some skills and liking for the boats on the first two. One a 24' I/O and the next a 28' inboard twin, both gas. But if hit with the current boats needs as my first I would have been swamped. Compared to many boats it was not a particularly needy boat with soft decks or the like yet needed a lot more than anticipated.

I'm quite handy as an electrician and millwright with some slightly more than basic woodworking skills and tools but I think this boat would have been too much as my starter.
That's my only real caution that I learned. I have seen others have to give it up for that reason. They swamped themselves without developing SOME skills beforehand and they had to get too much done by paying for it.

Otherwise go for it.

Last edited:
Next time you're at the boat ask your harbor master how easy it is to get a dredge permit. The dock extension permit should be a piece of cake by comparison.

You guys are thinking like Californians. What you do is get a towboat on the radio and offer him a case of beer to come over and blast all the mud out!!! Works everytime!

You guys are thinking like Californians. What you do is get a towboat on the radio and offer him a case of beer to come over and blast all the mud out!!! Works everytime!

It works out here too we just don't discuss it on a web forum so as to leave the illusion that we care for the tree huggers. ;)

It works out here too we just don't discuss it on a web forum so as to leave the illusion that we care for the tree huggers. ;)

Y'all have tow boat drivers around there????

True. However, in this case the OP says he can run the dock out another 40', so for a long term solution extending the dock would be best. Your solution would work great for a temporary deep-water channel. But it would silt in over time. Local towboat operators around here want more than just one case of beer, by the way.

In this part of the world (I grew up in Pensacola) we do not go from 3.5' to a drop off of 6'. No indeed. We go from 3.5' to 3.51' to 3.52', etc.

Of course he could always put a mooring out there, but a lot more maintenance work gets done on a boat which you can just walk down the dock to your boat, with a beer in your hand, and then listen to Linda Ronstadt singing "Blue Bayou" while trying to figure out why in the #$$^@ the PO did some weird wiring! "Hmm. He ran a cable from the positive terminal of the house battery to ground! Must be a reason!" :)

Last edited:
IO/Sterndrives

A word about these. I hope they are less trouble there than here. Most experienced boaters here won`t touch them due to maintenance needs. $1K a year per unit is not unusual just for maintenance. The water must stay outside. A new mechanic, skilled in servicing and repairing them(among the usual skills) just set up on our marina, right away has plenty of jobs.
For you it could be a question of cost, balancing dredging and maintaining the mooring space, vs maintaining IO drives.

lots of great advice on here.

Supposedly Twain said "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

works with trawlers, too. Fire up the motor(s). Explore. Dream. Discover. :)

As one of my boating friends lies in an ICU, fighting for his life, that has become all the more poignant. Do it while you can, you don't know what the future holds.

Tristan, I bought our 65' boat when I was 35. I am still working on it but it will be done this summer. It's never too early. Jump in, if it doesn't work out sell it.

Well, a guy did that here in Biloxi and he got a $10,000 fine and the toe boat operator got a $900,000.00 fine. That's right $900k! So be weary of gubment we have elected.

If one can build an "outlaw" apartment into their house... Oh well, I guess "outlaw" dredging is more recognizable by others. :facepalm:

FF and FlyWright, why the recommendations for non-trawlers? Cheaper and faster?

Thanks all!

I mentioned those boat brands as possible contenders in your budget. A 38 Bayliner, while not a true trawler, is capable of slow cruise with moderate efficiency. If you go non-turbo diesel, you'll likely enjoy enhanced safety, reliability and efficiency from your powerplant.

The Mainship suggested above is another good possibility.

Well, a guy did that here in Biloxi and he got a $10,000 fine and the toe boat operator got a $900,000.00 fine. That's right $900k! So be weary of gubment we have elected.

Swampu, good to 'see' you back! How's the river boat project coming along? Maybe in another thread? Don't mean to hijack this one.

I mentioned those boat brands as possible contenders in your budget. A 38 Bayliner, while not a true trawler, is capable of slow cruise with moderate efficiency. If you go non-turbo diesel, you'll likely enjoy enhanced safety, reliability and efficiency from your powerplant.

The Mainship suggested above is another good possibility.

Swampu, good to 'see' you back! How's the river boat project coming along? Maybe in another thread? Don't mean to hijack this one.

Mainship and Bayliner are the perfect examples of non-trawlers ideal for the kind of cruising most trawler type boats are used for. A full displacement true trawler type boat is overbuilt for what most people here actually do. Now being overbuilt isn't bad, except when it does come into play on draft. I'm amazed at the people who have boats capable easily of cruising in worse conditions but never venture out in more than 3'. Bayliner made, in my opinion, the best use of space any boat in it's size range ever has.

It reminds me a bit of cars. My parents always drove what I describe as boxy cars. No sleek models for them. They had headroom in the backseat and trunk space. Far more comfortable for 4 or 5 people than a two door coupe or sports car.

Thank you, all! Some really great information and points to think about.

I had written off Bayliner but maybe we need to walk around on one or two first. A shallower draft would be nice. After all, at this point we're not crossing oceans.

Thank you, all! Some really great information and points to think about.

I had written off Bayliner but maybe we need to walk around on one or two first. A shallower draft would be nice. After all, at this point we're not crossing oceans.

I don't own and haven't owned a Bayliner but there are a lot of happy Bayliner owners on this forum and I haven't run across any who are unhappy with theirs.

Greetings,
Mr. P. Here ya go. Single diesel, shallow draft and cheap...
1998 Penn Yan 269 Legend Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I might trade my center console for that! Diesel, room to sleep, and room to fish! However, if we get another boat it'll have more living space.

Tristan, I bought our 65' boat when I was 35. I am still working on it but it will be done this summer. It's never too early. Jump in, if it doesn't work out sell it.

Good to hear, thanks. That's what I'm thinking as well.

lots of great advice on here.

Supposedly Twain said "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

works with trawlers, too. Fire up the motor(s). Explore. Dream. Discover. :)

As one of my boating friends lies in an ICU, fighting for his life, that has become all the more poignant. Do it while you can, you don't know what the future holds.

So true.

Thanks, all!

Supposedly Twain said "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ........... Do it while you can, you don't know what the future holds.

It's a matter of balance (and luck). A guy I worked with (my age) had retired from a 35 year career and started working at my location. He was one of those people who believed in doing it while you can. He had nothing to his name, all his life he spent what he had. He travelled, he had the deluxe cable TV plan, the deluxe cell phone plan, etc.

He was working because he had to and he would have to continue to work until the day he died.

Yes, you might die tomorrow but what if you don't?

Howdy. We fish offshore and like to cruise the ICW and weekend on the boat. So we bought a Proline 2950 (97 model) with twin OB 300 Suzuki's (08 models). It has a full cabin, 2 berths, galley, head w/shower. Not roomy like a trawler but runs 50MPH if needed. Fits on a lift, and is all fiberglass.

Our retirement boat will be a trawler of some type. That's a ways away, but with more time we plan to explore more water. Have fun and enjoy!

It's a matter of balance (and luck). A guy I worked with (my age) had retired from a 35 year career and started working at my location. He was one of those people who believed in doing it while you can. He had nothing to his name, all his life he spent what he had. He travelled, he had the deluxe cable TV plan, the deluxe cell phone plan, etc.

He was working because he had to and he would have to continue to work until the day he died.

Yes, you might die tomorrow but what if you don't?

Uh yeah spending all the money you have and not saving for the future is NOT what I'm suggesting. But putting off all your pleasures for a future that may never come... I would suggest not doing that. You have to find a balance.

My friend is still in a coma.

Hjorgan, that's a neat way to do it. It would also allow me to do more offshore fishing! I'd love to be able to trailer and lift it but the wife really wants something comfortable for st least a week at a time.

Look at this one.

1988 Ken Hankinson Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The price is right and it's not too far away. If I had a place to put it, I'd be interested.

Now that is intriguing. Think the mast could be made to fold? If so, it would definitely fit under the bridge and I could probably tow it with my truck. I love the single diesel and it's a gorgeous boat. I wish it had just a little more space for socializing inside. Very interesting...

Pineapple Girl, best wishes to your friend and his or her family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom