Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #42
Eastsounder
Veteran Member

City: Eastsound, WA
Vessel Name: Keeper
Vessel Model: 1972 Grand Banks 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
He says he has no involvement so I'll take him at his word and I apologize. ...
Now as to the company, I still see it as reinventing the wheel. ...
Accepted.

You (and others) could very well be right that this system won't find enough traction to gain widespread use -- especially on the featureless ocean, where navigation by lat/long is the long-established norm. The company seems to recognize this, as I didn't find any explicit mention of marine applications on my brief exploration of their website.

Whatever the merits (or lack thereof) of this particular system, I still think the basic idea of creating a universal addressing system that's a bit more user-friendly than lat/long has merit in some easily conceivable circumstances. Especially emergencies.

I can imagine using it, for example, when my wife and I have gone ashore in a bustling little port town. She goes off shopping while I go dock-walking. When it's time to rendezvous, she can ring me up and say something like "flame, remit, mineral" instead of "the second clothing boutique on the left on that street where the t-shirt shop is, you know, before you get to the ice cream place." And I'll know just where she is, rather than bumbling around trying to find the right t-shirt shop.

Granted, there are other GPS-based mobile apps that would also allow us to find each other with minimal fuss. But three words doesn't seem like a bad alternative -- at least to me, speaking strictly personally and with a sworn lack of any commercial bias.
Eastsounder is offline   Reply With Quote