South Shore of Long Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncleg44

Veteran Member
All,
I'm planning s summer '16 cruise to the South Shore of Long Island - Peconic Bay to Great South Bay. MapTech chart is on order, but I've not been able to locate a boater's guide book to the area. Does anyone know if such a guide exists? All info will be appreciated.
Fair winds,

George - Grumpy Old Men, Rosborough '03

activecaptain.com is also a very good resource, as caltexflanc stated there are water depth issues, especially in the Moriches Bay area, my recommendation is to head out of Shinnecock Inlet and come back into Fireisland Inlet and then you can go back into the GSB area. Also take note, only a couple places are open to out of towners, Sailors Haven and Watch Hill, try to get there early in the week as they fill up.

Caltexflanc & Marlinmike,
Appreciate the feedback. Active Captain has been a useful resource in planning this trip. I draw 2' and understand that water is thin in places. Fire Island marinas are $$$, so will try to reach Sailors Haven early on a weekday. Plan to use water taxis to visit other Fire Island communities. Will also use anchorages such as Great Gun Beach, and will bring citronella candles. Any other suggestions for anchorages along the route?
Best,
Grumpy

one of my favorite anchorages is Connetquot River, right across from Sailors Haven, not overly deep 4', but not issues for you, anchor up off the Snapper Inn, there is a nice channel that leads behind the Inn and brings you up pretty far into the river, take main river back, the Bayard Cutting Arboretum is on the west side, very nice also.

Marlinmike,

Your response is timely. Just received an email from the folks at the nearby Maritime Museum which I plan to visit. They mentioned Snappers Inn as a possible dock while I visit Museum. Have you visited Maritime Museum, BTW?
Thanks again for your assistance.
George

Yes Snapper Inn has transient dockage, mostly for the purpose of those going to the restaurant, some nights it can get a bit loud with outdoor bands on Friday and Saturday nights, during the week its good, or anchoring off is also good. Never to the Maritime
Museum, you will need some type of ride to get there from the snapper though.

Rosborough RF-246 - semi-displacement hull.

Makes sense now that I see an outboard. One more of the advantages. I think your boat is such a great approach to a cruising, cabin boat in a small size. I know it might not be technically acceptable to some but I think the term Pocket Trawler is very appropriate for that range. I wish they'd add a larger size with the similar design features and outboards.

Transitioned from sail to power. Researched and boarded many trawler designs before deciding upon the Rosborough, keeping in mind the excellent advice: Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest boat you can live aboard. Have cruised in complete comfort from Cape Cod through LI Sound/East River/Hudson/Erie Canal/Oswego Canal/Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence/Richelieu Canal/Lake Champlain and return as well as coastal Maine. Envy of many of the bigger boys who were concerned about the cost of fuel and dockage. Added 215 watt solar panel so basically self-sufficient. Has proven to be an excellent choice, and, yes, fully qualifies as a pocket trawler.

Make sure your tow boat us is paid up. Running aground in GSB is routine. Stay in the channels! Many are not marked and change each year a little. Free anchorages on the bayside with a short walk to the ocean. Great area.

Thanks,

We putz along at 6/7 knts. Hopefully won't get into too much trouble. GSB - soft bottom?

Yes, but the Great South Bay isn't really the problem, it's coming through the Moriches Bay. If you are a member of a towing service you can call them when you enter the bay and they can advise you, I have known some people to actually pay for some guidance through there. Being an outboard and low speed at that this greatly reduces your risk. oh yea, it's all sand bottom on the south shore of Long Island.

BandB,
Nova Trawlers (Nova Trawler. com) does offer a larger version of the Rosborough RF-246. The Nova Trawler 35 has basically the same cabin design (sedan) and layout as the Rossi, but greater length and beam - the Rossi on steriods if you will. The plans include an inboard, but since they build the Novas, perhaps an OB option would be available.

Two more questions please:
1. Is there a dock/marina at Fire Island Light House? I would like to take a day trip from Sailors Haven.
2. Do the Fire Island water taxis accept credit cards? I've sent query to their website, but no response.
Meanwhile, if you're anywhere in the Northeast, bundle up.
Thank you.

Does anyone have a Richardson's South Shore of Long Island & New York Harbor Cruising Guide? Now out of print, but it would be helpful as a supplement to MapTech chart. Not available on Amazon.
G.

Captree Boat Basin isn't far from the Lighthouse; only been there by car. Don't know about the water taxis, we used our Whaler extensively in GSB. Waterway Guide North covers the whole area pretty well.

1. Is there a dock/marina at Fire Island Light House? I would like to take a day trip from Sailors Haven.

Thank you.

There is a 40 slip transient boat basin at Robert Moses SP about 2.5 Mi walk from the lighthouse.
Haven't been there but familiar w/ the basin rebuild project several yrs ago.
No fee during the week and $10/ day on wkends... no overnight accomodations (but I have heard some report nobody seems to check???)

Re: Ferries - from their website...
Can I pay using a credit card?
Credit cards are only accepted when purchasing 40 trip ticket books, or purchasing monthly parking passes. All other fare are cash only.

Last edited:
Cannot answer the question on water taxi, there sure do have a lot of them as I see them running all the time. One thing to keep in mind when viewing a chart of the area, what appears to be lovely nice bay, during a summer afternoon on the weekend the water really chops up from the south west wind and large boat wakes, so the area off the light house (no dockage, nor would you with conditions) to anchor would be VERY rough from traffic and wind.

There is a 40 slip transient boat basin at Robert Moses SP about 2.5 Mi walk from the lighthouse.
Haven't been there but familiar w/ the basin rebuild project several yrs ago.
No fee during the week and $10/ day on wkends... no overnight accomodations (but I have heard some report nobody seems to check???)

Re: Ferries - from their website...
Can I pay using a credit card?
Credit cards are only accepted when purchasing 40 trip ticket books, or purchasing monthly parking passes. All other fare are cash only.

Pretty sure that's Captree that I mentioned; seemed closer than that but i didn't walk it, let alone measure it.

Agree about being careful where you anchor; the locals will wake you to death given the chance. We tucked in on the north side of Fire Island northwest of Davis Park, wasn't too bad but the weather was beautiful.

Pretty sure that's Captree that I mentioned; seemed closer than that but i didn't walk it, let alone measure it.

Captree is across the bridge from Fire Island - actually on E end of Oak Island.
There is a State Park, Fishing Pier & Boat basin but I believe it is all permanent / seasonal fishing (charter) boats - not sure if they have any transient docking.

Robt Moses SP is on Fire Island essentially at the end of the causeway bridge from Oak Is to Fire Is. As I said before the 40 slips are all transient day use.

R Moses SP Info

Last edited:
I boat on the South Shore. I can travel from Greenport (North Shore) to Sayville (South Shore) by using the Shinnicock Canal. I never have to go outside in the Ocean. The State Channel goes from Shinnicock in the East all the way to East Rockaway inlet in the west. I can give you suggestions of where to go. PM me an email address. I can give you chart numbers to pick up. With the internet you have all the phone numbers you'll need to reserve a slip. I can tell you where to anchor and where to get a slip. I have been boating these waters for 30 years, I know them well.

Hey Chester, it would be great if you could share your knowledge with the forum. What kind of boat do you have? We kind of pussyfooted our way around in there , with a 60 LOA boat and 5ft draft; used the Whaler to explore; would like to go back sometime in a more wieldly "mother boat".

Bacchus: so Captree is closer to the lighthouse than the marina you described.. right? It looked like Captree has a lot of day use, stopped in there to use the bathroom. But I'm working off memory here. Dangerous.

Bacchus: so Captree is closer to the lighthouse than the marina you described.. right? It looked like Captree has a lot of day use, stopped in there to use the bathroom. But I'm working off memory here. Dangerous.
Yes...you are correct it is closer. It's across the inlet so would have to dingy across. Haven't been there in a long time and that to take one of the fishing charters which is the largest use. As I said I'm not sure what their transient or day use docking situation is.

R Moses boat basin caters to day use transient and free during the week.

There is no transient docking in Captree, its FULL of head boats and charter boats, not the place you want to be, plus going across in a dingy on the weekend is a real bad idea... Unless you are REALLY into lighthouses I would pass on it.

Yes...you are correct it is closer. It's across the inlet so would have to dingy across. Haven't been there in a long time and that to take one of the fishing charters which is the largest use. As I said I'm not sure what their transient or day use docking situation is.

R Moses boat basin caters to day use transient and free during the week.

There is no transient docking in Captree, its FULL of head boats and charter boats, not the place you want to be, plus going across in a dingy on the weekend is a real bad idea... Unless you are REALLY into lighthouses I would pass on it.

I guess I was lucky, no issue parking my 13' Whaler there, but I was just there for at most 30 minutes using the john, buying a soda, looking around. Perhaps many of the boats you mention were out for the day, as the weather was perfect. When we drove by another time by car, really can't recall noticing how packed it was one way or the other. Thanks for the info.

South Shore

The 5 ft. draft would be the biggest problem, but still OK. I came from a 38' sailboat with a draft of 4'2" and some of my friends draw 5'. You could still transit the Sh. Canal, you would have to time your trip west with a high tide at Moriches Inlet. It gets real skinny over that way. The good thing is the bottom is soft sand. At high tide, if you bump, just power right thru. (I can say that from experience).
I have a 27' Ranger Tug. I down sized for a few reasons. I love the boat, had to get used to the limited space.
I see someone mentioned the Connitiquot River. That is one of my favorite hang out spots. I anchor out, usually rafting up with other boats. No need to get a slip. The Snapper has ice, fuel and you can dink in for dinner or a drink.
I also love Fire Island. The slips are mostly owned by towns. There are 2 federal beaches. Watch Hill, across from Patchogue. The slips are 1st class and it's a short walk to the ocean beaches. Sailors Havon is another one, west of Watch Hill. It is across from the Islip or Bayshore areas. There are water taxis on the Fire Island side. You can go from beach to beach. If you like to walk, the boardwalk does the whole thing. There are grocery stores, resturants, bars, all the necessities. There are no cars, so it's very nice. Only the cops and fire dept have cars. Also very few permanent residents have cars. For the most part, you will see more deer then you do cars. Each beach has it's own "theme". There are family beaches, party beaches, gay beaches, RICH gay beaches, nude beaches, regular beaches, it's all good on Fire Island. All you need is a cooler full of beer and some sun block and your all set. I'm not sure of the town owned marina's. Some have different rates for transients, some don't allow transient's, some only allow transients during the week. You would have to go online and check them out. I will be making the trip from Greenport (a great place) to Connetiquot River in August. If the timing is right we can meet up and I can go over the charts with you. chester613@outlook.com
The South Shore is very nice, so is the North Shore. The difference is the depth of the water. The North Shore see's 60', even 100'. The South Shore, you better be in the channel. 6 - 8 ft is normal. There is 20 ft. in the State Channel, that's probably the deepest part. Also the bottom on the North Shore is rocks, the South Shore is soft sand.

Where would you be coming from? New York Harbor is a trip worth making as well. City Island, Manhasset Bay, Port Jefferson, all very nice. You could also go south around Long Island and end up in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. Grab a mooring and have some of the best Italian Food in NYC. I would volunteer to help you plan your trip. Let me know where you are starting, how much time you have and what type of activities you enjoy.
Then you could do the same for me. We love exploring new places. In 2017, we are retiring, so we will have a bunch of time on our hands.

Thanks Chester, great stuff. We anchored where we did because we had a group friends who were at Watch Hill at the time and the weather was perfect. We'd previously been avid North Shore and CT cruisers on our various forays to/from New England. I really enjoyed jetting around the GSB on the Whaler, but man there are some crazy boaters there (see also: New Jersey and South Florida) the great weather brought them all out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom