Counting eagles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Biologist Phil Schempf works for the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service in raptor and migratory bird management. He has no doubt an eagle could kill a small dog or cat if the opportunity presented itself, and carry it or at least pieces of it to a nest. “My feeling is that it doesn't happen very often though,” he wrote in an e-mail. “I'd speculate that is due to eagles being leery of approaching people or foraging in novel areas such as people's yards. Eagles typically are foraging along beaches or riparian areas where it is rare for dogs and cats to be unattended by their owners.”
An eagle is sometimes spotted in the water, talons latched on a heavy salmon, laboriously rowing to shore with its wings. It’s a clumsy swimming style, but it works. It’s said that the eagle can’t let go, that the talons somehow lock on to the fish. That’s not true. There is no involuntary locking mechanism, and the eagle could let go if it wished. The hungry bird has simply decided the meal is worth the swim.
Jacobson said that over the years there have been a number of observations of eagles grabbing fish and getting pulled underwater. He said it’s not because they can’t release their talons, “They can let go,” he said.
“It’s common for them to get a hold of a fish that’s too heavy to fly with…they can’t take off but they can tow it to shore, rowing with their wings. They’re pretty good swimmers. They have thick down so they float pretty well. Occasionally they’ll drown if they’re too far from shore.”
Eagle Flight and Other Myths, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Yeah, I read that. There seem to be differing opinions among the experts.

Regarding eagles eating pets, a friend on Whidbey Island was present when the people who purchased the neighboring property had a dead tree cut down a couple of years ago. There was a long-abandoned eagle nest in the tree. When the tree was down they went over to examine the next. In it were seven (I think) dog collars, all with the tags still attached. In rummaging through the nest there were bones and bits of skeletons that were later identified as dogs. Very small dogs-- Chihuahuas or similar-- but dogs nevertheless.

We've seen an eagle take off from the water although it was not swimming at the time so we didn't know of that ability until last year. It had jumped in to grab a fish head next to a cleaning station in the harbor we fish out of up north. A co-worker has seen them to this on several occasions at the north end of Lake Washington.

They basically raise their fully extended wings and slam them down on the water. The air pressure and leverage against the water lifts their body free and they by flapping rapidly and hard they can get going in ground effect and then as they build speed they can begin to climb.

Last edited:
I have good friends who had a small house dog. One morning she was outside letting him do his morning business. An eagle swopped down and took him right in front of her. That was one unhappy woman let me tell you.
As for cats we had a feral cat problem along the river bank for a while. The eagles took care of the problem. So I am pretty sure house sized cats are not a problem for them.
I do think a Jack Russell might be just border line for them. No matter how often I let ours outside they do not show any interest in him:banghead:

David

Quite a few cats disapeared at Thorne Bay Alaska when we were there. Our cat rarely walked out in the open ... just slunk along the edge of the house ect. She was very wary outside but boss queen inside.

eagles/harleys

Greetings ,Hogwash, [is that anything like propwash??] Been reading the forum for a year or so but to date have few posts-- one of which i hope , [but think i did] not piss off Marin--had to do with Roche harbor and referring to a flagstaff as a stick--but I digress-- In the picture on your profile, are those sparks coming off your kickstand?? I can relate. Will you be attending the oyster run in Anacortes this year? if so pm me and maybe we could hook up for a beer [or 2] I 'm on O dock at cap sante--- enjoy reading your posts,, sorry to be so off topic--- capt steve-- AMERICAN PRIDE= 36/5 american tug:dance:

Steve,
There wouldn't be any sparks flying if hogwash would lean into the turn a bit.
And don't worry about Marin. I've thrown a lot of stuff at Marin over 8 or so years and I think we're still friends. He has good respect for a good argument or a point well made. I think hogwash is'nt much different in that respect.

Steve,
There wouldn't be any sparks flying if hogwash would lean into the turn a bit.
And don't worry about Marin. I've thrown a lot of stuff at Marin over 8 or so years and I think we're still friends. He has good respect for a good argument or a point well made. I think hogwash is'nt much different in that respect.

Let me join with Manyboat's comment. Pure enjoyment with the both of them and Manyboats:thumb::flowers:

Al-27'Marben Pocket-CRUISER

We live in the Ravenna neighborhood in Seattle. Your basic near-downtown city neighborhood. Two years ago I was leaving the house to take my daughter to school when we heard the loudest, raucous screeching you can imagine. We looked up to a very big fir in my neighbor's yard, and all of a sudden an eagle flew out of the tree with an entire crow's nest (no jokes please!) in his talons, you could just see the crow chicks still in the nest. About 30 crows came out of the tree right after him chasing him just screeching like you couldn't believe. The eagle flew off holding the nest with the crows hot on his tail. We watched till they were out sight, don't know what finally happened. But it was pretty startling first thing in the morning.

We live in the Ravenna neighborhood in Seattle. Your basic near-downtown city neighborhood. Two years ago I was leaving the house to take my daughter to school when we heard the loudest, raucous screeching you can imagine. We looked up to a very big fir in my neighbor's yard, and all of a sudden an eagle flew out of the tree with an entire crow's nest (no jokes please!) in his talons, you could just see the crow chicks still in the nest. About 30 crows came out of the tree right after him chasing him just screeching like you couldn't believe. The eagle flew off holding the nest with the crows hot on his tail. We watched till they were out sight, don't know what finally happened. But it was pretty startling first thing in the morning.

Often in the Spring for some reason, the crows will frustrate eagles sitting on tree branches, finally driving the eagle into action. Then the fun begins in the sky. They drive the poor eagle nuts!
In your case of viewing THD- 'it is as the crows fly!!-:angel:
Cheers,
Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom