British Columbia Marine Weather Guide...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many Thanks

This is the most useful information I have received in some time.

Thank you very much!

Jeff

This is terrific. Thanks for putting up the link and drawing our attention to it. One more resource for the on-board iPad.:)

I found out about this at the Environment Canada booth at the Vancouver Boat Show. I told the fellow that the website is so obscure that crunchy little nuggets like this get lost in the void of the noise of the larger website. He agreed.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Thanks for the link. I've had a hard copy for a while.

Owen Lange of Environment Canada has written a few good books. "The wind came all ways" is a great one to seek out for those navigating in the Strait of Georgia Basin.

Good post JD. You're the man. It points out again that BC waters are fertile cruising grounds with a rich trove of data for the interested. For the unwary though, currents are to be watched very carefully too. I'd guess JD that 2016 Tide and Current Tables 5, 6 and 7 are online now?

sunchaser said:
For the unwary though, currents are to be watched very carefully too.
I've known first timers who, walking the seawall thought boating would be cool, hit the boat show and were all set.

In no time at all, they would be returning to Vancouver harbour after a day out to face good blows from the SE or W running into a blast out of Howe Sound and a big ebb from Burrard Inlet.
Waves stacked up like moguls.
Boats were dock queens after that.

Last edited:
I'd guess JD that 2016 Tide and Current Tables 5, 6 and 7 are online now?
Don't know if they're online now, but if you want an excellent book of this info, Ports and Passes is my recommendation. Much easier to read than the Canadian Gov publications.

When I'm out in the boonies, I need a non-online source, as cell service is often unavailable. For SE Alaska tidal currents, I used to print the NOAA table sections I might need, but they just changed their website to a more interactive online version - nice, but harder to print. So now I have to figure out what to take with me this summer.

Good post JD. You're the man. It points out again that BC waters are fertile cruising grounds with a rich trove of data for the interested. For the unwary though, currents are to be watched very carefully too. I'd guess JD that 2016 Tide and Current Tables 5, 6 and 7 are online now?

Yes Ted. I've put together bookmarked PDFs of them if you want copies. I've also got a spread sheet calculator for the secondary stations, and a 3 station calculator for the Dents and Gilards.

Good score Jim.
Anything new or exciting at the show this year?

Just the usual. Pam and I just toured the top level looking for specific items. One can never have too many pigs and they are on sale at the show. I got some more LEDs to replace the faulty ones I got at Steveston Hardware 2 years ago. I'm also looking for a second radio and electronics are on sale at the show. A few questions for the folks at Stryker electronics. They are quite knowledgeable. For some reason CHS isn't there this year. I wanted to talk to them about the timing of the new charts for Douglas Channel and the WC of Haida Gwaii.

I haven't looked at anything on the floor (field level). I'll look around down there on Friday, but the boats on the field are mostly water skiing boats. We really aren't in the market for a skiff right now. Also, I probably won't go to the floating show, because we aren't in the market for a trawler right now. Also, builders such as Krogen, Nordhavn, Nordic Tugs, etc, are not up for the Vancouver show since they are preparing for the Seattle show which is next week.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE said:
Also, I probably won't go to the floating show, because we aren't in the market for a trawler right now. Also, builders such as Krogen, Nordhavn, Nordic Tugs, etc, are not up for the Vancouver show since they are preparing for the Seattle show which is next week.
Thanks.
I'm in Van for a memorial on Saturday, so may take in Grandville Island tomorrow. If it's not raining....fat chance!

Back
Top Bottom