What is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano

Vessel Name
Becca
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44
It has wires from two different lugs on the alternator and a ground. Three connections total. No Name or numbers evident. Connected to 3208 Cats vintage 1987, one per each engine.
I have no clue. There are regulaters on each alternator. Not getting any charge past these things but the alternators are both putting out 14 volts. I would like to get rid of these corroded messes but have to cut wires to get them apart.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Whats this.jpg
    Whats this.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 207
Could it be a shunt? Connected to an ammeter that has since been removed?

I don't know, but wonder if it's used to absorb static noise generated by the alternator.

Ted

Looks like a noise filter. Or some kind of diode perhaps.

A lot of that wire and those connections/splices need attention.

The connections are beyond needing attention, replacement is in order but I don't know with what.

The connections are beyond needing attention, replacement is in order but I don't know with what.

When all else fails, bypass the safeties, what's the worst that can happen. :rolleyes:

Ted

Whole heap of hurt in that picture even beyond the subject item. You gotta lotta work to do there boy!

I have 1988 Cat 3208 T/A and I looked in my parts book and service manual. I could not find it. Try tracing the wires to their source. This will help you find the purpose of the part. I would probably agree it is noise suppressor. If I am looking at that picture we are looking at the port side of the motor, just behind the alternator.

The large wire appears to be the main alternator wire. One end should be on the starter, the other on the + terminal of the alternator. Then there should be a black and green wire going to the ground part of the alternator.

I would suggest you get a good mechanic to "reset" the wires back to the original hook ups.

Some where in there is the lead for the tachs. ASD You are correct on the direction of the wires. I have a marine electrician coming by to help with some other issues. Perhaps he will have some additional knowledge.
And caltexflanc, you haven't even seen 1% of the work ahead of me in that engine room.
Most everything runs and works well but it is not at all "ship shape".

Looks to small to be a VR. Charlie Wings book is free to download somewhere. I think there is a link on this site if you search for it. There are others like the DC bible I think it's called.

Basic wiring:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 94
I have that book in the library here and never thought to consult it. That could just be it.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom