Sigh...a new breed on the way???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawgwash

Guru
Caught the tail end of a Vancouver Boat Show promo on the news. TV walk through of probably a large Sea Ray, showing off all the pretties and ending at the helm. Broker boy with one hand on a lit up plotter and fingertips on a joystick says "so simple to operate; anyone who can play a basic computer game can take this out."

Pretty irresponsible IMO.

Our local mountain SAR has evolved to the point where they are saving dolts from themselves pretty much daily...on land.

Will our waterways soon be to the same point where, like car wrecks, we just pass by? "Gee, didn't even see them."

I agree. Even on land based activities like motorcycles, an 18 year old with virtually no riding experience can buy a big bore bike with 180 horsepower and ride away. Many don't make it a full day without going down or being killed. On the water, it can also be very bad.

So often there is only a mere understanding of "what" to do but no understanding of the "why". You better know the "why" if the "what" heads south.

I agree. Even on land based activities like motorcycles, an 18 year old with virtually no riding experience can buy a big bore bike with 180 horsepower and ride away. Many don't make it a full day without going down or being killed. On the water, it can also be very bad.
Thank goodness gun ownership is much better regulated.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I saw what you did there...

koala-wink.gif

Caught the tail end of a Vancouver Boat Show promo on the news. TV walk through of probably a large Sea Ray, showing off all the pretties and ending at the helm. Broker boy with one hand on a lit up plotter and fingertips on a joystick says "so simple to operate; anyone who can play a basic computer game can take this out."

Pretty irresponsible IMO.

Our local mountain SAR has evolved to the point where they are saving dolts from themselves pretty much daily...on land.

Will our waterways soon be to the same point where, like car wrecks, we just pass by? "Gee, didn't even see them."

I don't know that the potential for difficulty maneuvering has been enough to deter people from buying boats in the past - and I don't think that the ease of maneuvering offered by joysticks is going to get a bunch of 22 year olds to plop down 250k+ for a sea ray and go terrorize the bay either. Might save a couple marriages though.

I

Where the Sam Hill did I say anything about young people?
Huh?
:banghead:

I think we were having a bit of fun stemming from GoldenStars post about motorcycles and 18 year olds - apologies if it came across as accusatory or flippant.

I am actually kind of a fan of the joysticks for weekend warriors (most of SR customers). Makes getting around the docks easier for folks regardless of skill, minimizes the chances of them hitting your boat on the way out, and makes dad less likely to scream at mom and kick the dog on a Sunday afternoon. Boating is supposed to be fun regardless of whether you have a Nordy 80 or a Sea Ray 280 - if a joystick makes it less stressful/more fun for folks then I am all for it.

I'm missing something completely here and that's why one is bothered by joysticks. They aren't new but very much popularized by IPS and Zeus. However, they do a number of things very well. They make docking easier. Is it bad that fewer people will have difficulty docking? They also with things like Skyhook allow a boat to hold a position. That sure eases waiting to enter a marina or waiting for a bridge.

I don't share the dislike of technological advances. I also don't think there will be some new mad rush of people who don't know what they're doing as I think some of those were always buyers.

I'm missing something completely here and that's why one is bothered by joysticks. They aren't new but very much popularized by IPS and Zeus. However, they do a number of things very well. They make docking easier. Is it bad that fewer people will have difficulty docking? They also with things like Skyhook allow a boat to hold a position. That sure eases waiting to enter a marina or waiting for a bridge.

I don't share the dislike of technological advances. I also don't think there will be some new mad rush of people who don't know what they're doing as I think some of those were always buyers.

I was at a boat show over the weekend and was talking to one of the dealers about the Axius. One of the things I didn't think about was the issue of people setting skyhook and then allowing people into the water to swim - the props aren't spinning, still aren't spinning, now they are spinning and someone gets eaten up. The SRs all have big warnings signs on the transom door/swim platform and at the dash.

I was at a boat show over the weekend and was talking to one of the dealers about the Axius. One of the things I didn't think about was the issue of people setting skyhook and then allowing people into the water to swim - the props aren't spinning, still aren't spinning, now they are spinning and someone gets eaten up. The SRs all have big warnings signs on the transom door/swim platform and at the dash.

That would be insanity but then I've seen people with motors running with traditional controls and swimmers out. I use to watch boats pull up to retrieve skiers and keep the engines running and I'd cringe every time.

devorenm said:
-apologies if it came across as accusatory or flippant.
Aw geez that wasn’t it at all.:blush:

BandB said:
I'm missing something completely here and that's why one is bothered by joysticks.
Yes you are.
My OP was not about joysticks. I was simply saying I thought it was irresponsible to imply, if not actually state, that no more skill, knowledge or experience, other than that gained via basic video games could launch someone on their own personal Alaska cruise.

Aw geez that wasn’t it at all.:blush:

Yes you are.
My OP was not about joysticks. I was simply saying I thought it was irresponsible to imply, if not actually state, that no more skill, knowledge or experience, other than that gained via basic video games could launch someone on their own personal Alaska cruise.

Thanks for clarifying. I must tell you that's nothing new for boat salesmen. Some of them make it sound so easy. Now there are brokers who would advise wisely, but the large dealers like the Sea Ray dealers don't do like that. Now, it just so happens we were watching a tv show "Selling Yachts" earlier. The US manager for Delta Powerboats was showing a Delta 54 to a couple with no experience. He talked about how anyone could handle it and wouldn't need a captain. The line of the conversation was to the guy's girlfriend who was with him looking. He said, "I guarantee you I can teach her to drive this boat in one hour." So, I'm sure you and I cringed much the same. Unfortunately, I don't think it's new and I think it's widespread.

The other place I see it is in boats from 60-80 or 90' and I see a new couple looking and the broker or salesperson reassures them that it's easy for a husband and wife to handle without a captain or crew. A very experienced couple, perhaps, but not ones new to it. My wife and I both had lots of experience in 30' and under, but we were under no illusion when we bought our 60'+ boat that we could handle it without a captain or much more training. So, I do understand your comment now. Just don't attribute the issue to the new technology.

I should add that Ducote then had the couple with him as the boat was on autopilot and the three of them standing on the foredeck which is a nearly flush deck and had no rails. You read that right-no rails. Obviously no flotation devices.

Modern electronics including maneuvering systems are a great thing as long as they keep working. Chances are that most of these new boaties will hopefully learn at least some basic seamanship skills before the system fails if it ever does. Of course the chances of failures is becoming more and more remote with the improvement in modern electronics but I still think there is no substitute for learning good seamanship skills and maneuvering with the basics of a single or twin screws before being let loose in a bigish boat.

The same trend has happened in aviation. Reliance on very good electronics which 99.9 percent of the time do exactly what they are meant to, but when they fail or something goes wrong many pilots these days lack the basic manipulation skills to fly the aircraft which is pretty sad. You may think this is rare or an overstatement but it happens all to often, is a contributing factor in a high percentage of accidents these days and is only recently been acknowledged by some organizations.

Sorry a little thread drift there but my point was after all that is people need to learn and maintain proficiency in basic seamanship skills without becoming reliant on the modern electronic gadgets.

Jetstream said:
The same trend has happened in aviation. Reliance on very good electronics which 99.9 percent of the time do exactly what they are meant to, but when they fail or something goes wrong many pilots these days lack the basic manipulation skills to fly the aircraft which is pretty sad. You may think this is rare or an overstatement but it happens all to often, is a contributing factor in a high percentage of accidents these days and is only recently been acknowledged by some organizations.

Sorry a little thread drift.
Don't be sorry, that's an interesting drift and I hope others chime in on that topic.

Don't be sorry, that's an interesting drift and I hope others chime in on that topic.

In the industry I work in this has become a major, major concern. There have been several high-profile accidents recently that have been due to exactly this. Air France into the Atlantic, Asiana into the riprap in front of the runway at San Francisco, Air Asia into the Java Sea, all caused by the flight crews making some fundamental errors in physically controlling the airplane aka lack of flying skills.

The prediction is that this problem will become more and more commonplace as flight crews and airline flight departments focus more and more on systems management and less and less on actually flying the plane. It's an increasing irony that the very systems that have been created to make flying safer are also making it less safe.

This is one of the reasons behind the industry's increasing attention to fully automating commercial aircraft. The sooner the humans can be removed from the equation the safer things will become. It's a long, long, long ways off yet so don't get all preachy about how you'll never get on an automated airplane because the chances are most of the people on this forum will never have to. But the incentive to get there is getting stronger all the time. Just as it is with vehicles (GM just announced a huge investment into fully automated car and control systems development.) Remove the human and you remove human error.

The situation with vessels is no different. The main difference is that the consequences of mishandling a vessel are generally not quite so sudden and final as the consequences of mishandling an aircraft.

Relying on electronics is fine. These days they are extremely reliable and when one rolls in redundancy they can be made almost totally reliable. The use of electronics is not the problem. The problem in recreational boating, I think, is the increasing lack of understanding of what the electronics are actually doing and how to manage them.

Sure, there is the issue of what does a person do if the electronics fail? Can the boater fall back on more basic "manual" skills to navigate their vessel safely?

But the electronics themselves generate an even greater problem, I think. And that is that their ever-growing capabilities also make them ever-more complex.

I know how to fly a plane. The civilian ones, large or small, all fly for the same reasons using the same controls. I've flown our 777 full-motion simulator around for hours while our camera and effects team conducted tests for a specific video project. It was the first time I'd flown a 777, but it was no more difficult that flying the de Havilland Beaver I fly. I flew it totally manually and visually using only the most basic instrument displays. I went up, I went down, I flew around the mountains, I followed a river down between the trees, I buzzed a city and flew under a bridge. I had a great time. I came close to stalling it a few times because I didn't know the airspeed limitations, but when the stick shaker went off I knew how to avoid a complete stall and continue flying around just fine. I knew when I needed to add or remove power although I didn't know exactly how much. I simply added or took off power until I got the desired result.

But...... and here is the relevance to boating.... I had and still have no clue whatsoever how to program the 777 to do anything. The CDU, the control display unit on the aisle stand which is the interface between the flight crew and airplane's flight management system, is a complete mystery to me. It has layers and layers of menus with which one enters all manner of data for a flight, from the route to the approach to the plane's performance parameters based on fuel load, weight, etc., you name it, it's in there. Somewhere.

Flight crews spend hours and hours learning all this stuff and they use it on every flight and they have recurrent training requirements and so on.

Now think of the average boater. He or she has a boat with all the latest whiz-bang electronics--- totally integrated displays, radar, plotters, AIS, autopilot, and on and on and on, all of it very complex with layers and layers of menus. But..... they use their boat maybe four or five times a year on vacation. Or less. Or maybe more.

But they've had no training, only the time spent reading the instruction manuals. They learn how to program in a route to get from A to B via C. They can turn the radar on and watch the sweep and see the little dots that are targets. They can engage the autopilot and make the boat follow the route they've selected.

What happens when "something weird" happens? What happens if something changes along the way? What if they need to change the route partway along it, or move a waypoint. What happens if in poor visibility they suddenly need to know if that "dot" on the screen is going to hit them but they don't know how fast it's moving or what angle it's approaching them at or how far away it is?

Unless they have done their homework and know exactly how to find, select, display, enter or change the information they need, they're going to be shuffling through manuals. And under pressure is not when you want to be looking something up.

So to the OP's first post, I see two potential problems in the boating world. One, more and more boaters are not going to have the "manual" fall-back skills that will be needed if all the electricicals stop holding hands and the screens go blank or freeze up. The possibility is getting more remote, true, but never say never, right?

Two, and more dangerous than One I think, more and more boaters are going to be relying on increasingly sophisticated and complex electronics that they really don't understand or know very well to control their boats for them. When a situation demands a competent systems manager to avoid or solve a problem, they won't be one.

Last edited:
One thing Marin's post really points out is that, in my opinion, captaining a boat with today's electronics doesn't require less training, knowledge or ability. It requires different. I've seen 25-30 year captains who had no idea at all as to the capabilities of their most basic electronics. One shocked me in not knowing all the adjustments possible on his autopilot while he was complaining about it being too responsive. It took one minute to tell him what page of the manual to look at.

CMF,

Suggest you submit your post to a boating magazine. I think you are spot on with your thinking on this subject.

Marin said:
...all caused by the flight crews making some fundamental errors in physically controlling the airplane aka lack of flying skills.
So where does it fall apart?
Are the "flight schools" not teaching what you were taught?
Is it the same as not needing to learn math because we have devices that do it for us?
Are they put into the commercial seat too soon?
What is it?

So where does it fall apart?
Are the "flight schools" not teaching what you were taught?
Is it the same as not needing to learn math because we have devices that do it for us?
Are they put into the commercial seat too soon?
What is it?

Toss one extra component into those above questions which all have merit. It's less expensive to hire inexperienced pilots than experienced. There are a lot of jobs not going to the most qualified but to the least expensive.

1. So where does it fall apart?
2. Are the "flight schools" not teaching what you were taught?
3. Is it the same as not needing to learn math because we have devices that do it for us?
4. Are they put into the commercial seat too soon?

What is it?

I'll leave it to the site admin folks to leave this here or move it, but to answer your questions as best I can-----

1. Where it falls apart is, as usual, due to multiple factors. Learning to fly is very, very expensive today. Not that it was cheap when I learned, but even accounting for inflation and the changing value of the dollar, it's a very expensive thing to take on. So that eliminates a lot of potentially real good pilots right there.

So far as I know the old GI Bill method of becoming an airline pilot, under which the US government paid for 90 percent of one's flight training after one earned a Private license on their own is long, long gone. And the military, at least in this country, has made it more attractive for pilots to stay in the service with things like pay and other incentives. So the urge to get out and make some real money flying for an airline is not so strong anymore. So the old "join the military, learn to fly, get some experience, leave the military, and get your Private, get your Commercial, Instrument, ATP on the government's dime, and get a great job flying for an airline" no longer works today.

The demand worldwide for pilots is skyrocketing as the demand for air travel is skyrocketing. We currently roll out 42 new 737's a month. Or maybe it's 45 now. I know the target is about 60. The assembly time for a 737 was 11 days a number of years ago when I did the first music video highlighting the then-new 737 moving assembly line. I'm not sure what it is now but it's less. Our backlog for 737s comes to a point at the horizon it's so long. And the same is true of Airbus.

The "system" simply can't turn out pilots fast enough. Some airlines like Emirates have actually started flight training schools where they take students who know zip about flying a plane and take them all the way through to becoming a first officer on a 777, A330, or A380. We've filmed one of these classes at Emirates-- I recall on that day the lecture was about how temperature and pressure change with altitude. Very basic stuff. So even the airlines, or some of them, are taking steps on their own to ensure a continuing supply of pilots.

This varies all over the world, but the combination of a staggering demand and lowering qualification requirements simply to fill the flight decks has resulted in lowering experience requirements for flight crews. This is NOT a universal trend, but it's a growing one. The flight deck of the Asiana 777 that landed on the riprap at SFO had some fairly inexperienced folks on it. They were all qualified to be there but that doesn't ensure expertise.

The airlines themselves are making it less attractive to work for them. As with virtually all companies on the planet, the drive is to do more with less. The airline pilots on this forum can correct me, but it's my belief based on conversations with pilots that the days of high pay, great perks, and super-status are sort of gone outside of the senior folks who are grandfathered in.

2. I don't think it's the flight schools' fault. With the exception of GPS and a few other display systems and probably more sophisticated aerodynamic designs and construction materials and techniques the planes used for training today are not unlike the Piper Cherokee's and Cessna 150s that I learned in. There are more license categories than there use to be, particularly at the lower end of the recreational scale with reduced requirements. The reduced requirements bring with them increased restrictions, but this has little to do with the requirements for the airline folks.

3. Technology breeds technology. This is where aviation has, in my opinon, made the greates strides. Sure, we can tweak a wing design or an engine design and eke out a few more mpg from the thing. But the big strides in efficiency and productivity are being made in the airplane's systems.

For example we've developed an iPad app that wirelessly connects to the airplane's flight management system, compares what the airplane is actually doing in terms of performance and fuel burn to what the flight plan said it would do, and then lets the flight crew in real time change paramenters on the iPad to see if any of them will improve the performance and fuel burn. If they do, the crew can make the change in the airplane's flight management system itself or call up ATC and ask for a route, speed, or altitude change to match what their iPad showed them.

And this is just one tiny improvement in the sea of technology that's operating an airplane today.

In a nutshell, although there are existing pilots who might deny this, flight crews are more systems managers than airplane pilots today. Technology is where all the emphasis is, and as you can imagine this technology is mind-numbingly sophisticated and complex. The display and functionality of today's commercial aircraft is simply amazing. I see it all the time in the work I do at this company.

And don't let the TV commercials fool you: when it comes to a human being, there is no such thing as multi-tasking. The systems in today's airplanes can perfom a huge number of tasks simulataneously and this capability is being added to all the time. A human, on the other hand, can still do just one mental calculation at a time. We can do it pretty damn fast, but compared to the systems we are tasked with running these days, we''re working with brains that have the exact same wiring as the folks back in the Stone Age who watched a tree roll down a hill and said, "Hmm..... " You do the math and see how well we're keeping up with our own creations.:)

4. Hard to answer. In terms of managing the airplane's systems, probably not although probably so in some parts of the world. In terms of what we think of as experience in flying a plane, probably so. But just as in boating as reflected in the periodic "do we need paper charts anymore" threads, the emphasis in flying a plane is no longer on flying the plane. The things fly themselves..... 99 percent of the time. Punch some buttons, go to London. Punch the buttons again, go to Dubai.

And since the technology in combination with the redundancy is so bloody reliable, it's becoming less and less necessary to know all the subtleties of how to physically fly the plane. And since it's less and less necessary, from the standpoint of an airline that is trying maximize profit why spend the major bucks it takes to train people and give them the time in the right seat needed to build a ton of experience when there's no real need to? Training and experience are expensive. To somebody. In this case, the airline.

The damn planes are becoming automated anyway, so put the money into teaching the "pilots" how to operate the automation. That's where the return on investment is. Not in teaching them all that stick and rudder stuff that they will probably..... probably.... never need.

And it works. Until the time it doesn't. So the Air France plane hits the Atlantic, the Asiana plane hits the riprap, and the Air Asia plane hits the Java Sea. But.... that's three out of how many flights worldwide every day? Forgetting the value of human life, which seems to be easier every year, those are pretty good odds if one is in the business of carting passengers and freight around in the sky for profit.

But still, accidents are expensive with the lawsuits and bad publicity and whatnot. So it would be good to eliminate them as much as possible. So how do we do that? By training pilots to physically fly the planes better? That's way too expensive anymore. And 99 percent of the time it's totally unnecessary, right? So 99 percent of the time, you've spent that money for nothing.

Why do the planes crash? Generally because the pilots messed up. Either they simply didn't fly good when they should have or they responded incorrectly to an airplane problem and then they didn't fly good.

So what's the ultimate solution to eliminating the problem of pilots not flying good? Technology, right? Automate the planes. Get rid of humans trying to fly them at all, replace them with people who's entire being is focused on systems management and keeping the computers humming, and be done with it.

We did it with elevators, we're doing it with cars, we'll do it with airplanes. It's inevitable.

Last edited:
Automation management and manual flying skills are a subject dear to my heart. I am a check and training airman with the airline I work for and I think the solution to the current reliance on and miss understanding of what automation is doing is simple and does not cost anymore than is presently spent by the airline.

I should qualify that statement by saying this is dependent on a pilot arriving at the airline with appropriate pre existing manual flying (manipulation) skills which is not always the case.

The two things in my humble opinion that need doing in aviation organizations and specifically airlines is to train their pilots to be able to physically fly the aircraft in any situation they are likely to encounter and to do it well. They must also be able to manage the automation they are using by understanding what it is telling them and using an appropriate level of that automation for the situation.

The second thing is for policy change within the airlines to not only allow for manual flight but mandate it to an appropriate minimum amount to keep the pilots manual flying skills to a proficient level.

Many organizations have already recognized the problem but some are surprisingly slow to do anything about it. American Airlines to their credit have long known about and trained for this very issue.

Sorry again for the thread drift and Marin thanks for a great post. I'd love to have a go of the 777 sim one day.

This is an excellent video from American Airlines training department and for those not aware of aviation terminology the "Magenta" in the title refers to some of the flight director steering prompts and other information displayed on the electronic flight instrument systems.

Last edited:
Come on guys, everybody knows if one is buying a Sea Ray, not knowing what you are doing is a basic qualifying requirement. But I do believe they give a simple course in how to leave the maximum wake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom