Flotation collar for dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I owned a Walker Bay 8' plastic dinghy with the smaller yellow collar (sold with the new dinghy originally in about 2008). It was a "RIB-Lite." The collar was smaller than the current Walker Bay RIB collar - the yellow collar was about 6" diameter. I found it to be a very good compromise. It added much stability but did not normally touch the water-- it sat just above the water and so did not affect the rowing ability at all. I highly recommend it. Advantages of protecting hulls of other boats when boarding them. Advantages of most of the stability of the full RIB. The dink easily rowed unlike many RIBs. Floatation added by collar only when needed was very good and helped immensely-- many guests kept from sinking the dink by they collar over the 12 years I had the Walker Bay. If the collar punctured, I still had a usable dinghy. I was in a RIB once that punctured one half of the flotation tube. Very hard to get back to the boat- had to get help to do so. I highly recommend the floatation collar concept.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom