Nordhavn 78, Selene 78, Horizon EP77 or NorthernMarine 80

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seamaster74

Hi everyone,

I just introduced myself in the welcome board and I hace no patience (sorry)

But I have a quick answer, I would like to build my dream boat for me and my dad.

We will travel from Florida to New York , Bermuda. Also someday we want to go to the Virgin Islands and our big dream is the Atlantic Crossing.

We are 8 people in total like watersports and fishing , bbq time and natural light in the salon.

Which one of these do you recommend for our dream boat : Nordhavn 78, Selene 78, Horizon EP77 or Northern Marine 80

Big respect to everyone of you and thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

Wow, If you are ever in need of crew look me up. Young and don't mind the night watch.

Anyway, there aren't a whole lot of Selene's doing extensive ocean crossing it seems though they are great cruising boats at a good price point (I know of at least one that has done an Atlantic crossing however). Would be better than the Nordy in terms of light/space/etc. for coastal cruising.

The Nordy is sorta of THE production passagemaker and there are a bunch that have crossed the big ponds, done circumnavigations etc and you could probably find a lot of eager and helpful owners to give you the scoop on working with Nordhavn on new builds and the owner's community. There are a handful pretty active on this site.

The Horizons and Northern Marines the more custom of the lot and I don't know a whole lot about them other than that the Northern Marines have a great reputation.

Others will chime in with more experienced answers but an important question worth asking is how important is that Trans-Atlantic Crossing? You make a lot of sacrifices in design, speed, maneuverability, price etc to have that kind of range and if 99.9% of what you do is within a day of land a passage-maker may not be what is going to make you happy.

Thank You devorenm

Trans-Atlantic Crossing?

Is ALL !!

Jaja yes and hope to do it once every two/three years, the plan is to leave the boat around the world continue working and when we have the chance fly to get on board and continue the endless trip of our life.

I have seen more than 20 Nordhaven videos and I´m crazy right now!!

What do you think one single engine and wing or two engines ?

Next month will be in Detroit and Toledo I see you come from Ohio. Have you ever made the trip to New York?

Cheers

An N78 with twin Deere's keel cooled and dry stack with NL Gennies for starters.

Thank You devorenm

Trans-Atlantic Crossing?

Is ALL !!

Jaja yes and hope to do it once every two/three years, the plan is to leave the boat around the world continue working and when we have the chance fly to get on board and continue the endless trip of our life.

I have seen more than 20 Nordhaven videos and I´m crazy right now!!

What do you think one single engine and wing or two engines ?

Next month will be in Detroit and Toledo I see you come from Ohio. Have you ever made the trip to New York?

Cheers

Ah, then you have the right builders in mind. As for singles vs twins - It can be a rather heated question but on a boat the size you are looking at I think the twins decision is going to be made for you due to the size of the prop needed to push the boat on a single main. I personally wouldn't have any qualms about a single with a wing in a smaller boat.

It is a small world. I am in medical school in Toledo at the moment and we make our way up to Detroit for the big city amenities and restaurants with some frequency. I've never done NY on the boat only land/air but have a decent knowledge of the city if you are looking for some recommendations.

An N78 with twin Deere's keel cooled and dry stack with NL Gennies for starters.

Just found your Blog , I will have dinner ( Argentina now ) and then dessert taking a look to your boat.

Very nice one .

Thanks for your comments and suggestions Captain

Any particular reason you are looking in the 78 foot realm? All of them are pretty big boats. Not knowing what your experiance is with regards to handling that big of a boat, I would suggest a bit smaller boat to start with.
Their have been several Selene's that have crossed ponds, several on the Pacific side and just as many on the Atlantic side,not as many as the Nordy's, but very capable just the same. We looked very seriously at Nordy's, but just never found the right one.
All of the boats you have mentioned are pretty capable open ocean boats with the right crew. Another would be Bering, pretty new to the ocean passage arena, but a very capable from what I saw.
The advantage to the single screw is the fuel economy, the twins use a bit more fuel but the trade off would be hardly noticeable when your spending that much on the boat and systems.
Good luck, wish my bank account would support such a dream.

I'm more comfortable with a boat that can be operated (particularly dock and launch) single-handed. Nevertheless, if you always have a sizable crew, such a boat works with knowledge.

Last edited:
IP duplication check on aisle 4.

Standard specs on a 78 show twin Cummins QSM11s rated at 425 HP with wet exhaust.

It seems general spec on the big ones is twins with wet exhaust. I would assume it has to do with the space requirements of twin dry exhausts. The Cummins motors are surprising though - I wonder what the rationale is. Presumably not cost.

I understand you might be able to pick an essentially new Northern Marine boat in Anacortes, Wa for a pretty reasonable price. There are some minor issues, but what boat doesn't have issues.

Standard specs on a 78 show twin Cummins QSM11s rated at 425 HP with wet exhaust.

Actually I was referring to the extended 76, not the new 78 design. Also standard specs are just that, standard. Lots of room for customization of one wants to pay extra.

I understand you might be able to pick an essentially new Northern Marine boat in Anacortes, Wa for a pretty reasonable price. There are some minor issues, but what boat doesn't have issues.

It buffed right out anyway...

Assuming you can get the ballast right :)

I hear Northern Marine is in receivership...

Sail boat or motor- sailor if you intend to cross oceans. The right motor boat will work but that is not as practical and usually more expensive. If you go big boat and do not already have lots of experience and I doubt you do, for why would you be asking opinion here if you were an old salt. you may have a lot to learn so if that is the case you might as well get involved in sail then if you still go for power your sail experience will make you the better boater. When you look at all the boats doing long range cruising throughout the world you will find very few pure power craft vs sail. Of course this is not the site to emphasis that for this is the Trawler Forum.

Dock mate (man and wife team) off to Hawaii in a cement ketch:

Sail boat or motor- sailor if you intend to cross oceans. The right motor boat will work but that is not as practical and usually more expensive. If you go big boat and do not already have lots of experience and I doubt you do, for why would you be asking opinion here if you were an old salt. you may have a lot to learn so if that is the case you might as well get involved in sail then if you still go for power your sail experience will make you the better boater. When you look at all the boats doing long range cruising throughout the world you will find very few pure power craft vs sail. Of course this is not the site to emphasis that for this is the Trawler Forum.

True, but the livability on a big Nordhavn is significantly greater than on a sailboat and when one is new to boating and looking at 4 million + dollar boats I would assume a pro captain is in the budget for a while.

Might I suggest to the OP that you don't limit yourself to the few boats you've highlighted in your heading. What about Bering Yachts and Seaton Yachts? These are only two of the many builders that I'd be considering if I were in the market for a new 80' yacht.

Last edited:
I'd write a check for one of these Econo-models. :socool:
It's only money.

main2.jpg

If that's the type, quality and sized boat you are after I would look at the Fleming 78 as well. A superb boat by all accounts and it would be my choice out of that group. Fleming 78 Yachts Foot Luxury Motor Yachts

As beautiful a boat that they are I'm not sure I'd want to do an "Atlantic Crossing" in a semi-displacement Fleming. Just Sayin'

Back to your original list. Nordhavn is worthy of consideration. I wouldn't consider Selene to be at their level for transatlantic crossings. Now would I put the Horizon EP there. As to Northern, bankrupt, busted, gone.

Now, I am a fan of Bering but I wouldn't ever select the first delivery in a specific range by a builder and to my knowledge, they've not delivered a boat in that range. Seaton, I'd give consideration to. Then my first choice in that size range would be a Fleming 78.

Of course you indicate you like watersports and fishing and all these have some limitations in that regard. There are other boats worthy of consideration as well, such as a Hatteras 100.

I'd suggest lots of studying and some chartering before rushing toward a choice.

As beautiful a boat that they are I'm not sure I'd want to do an "Atlantic Crossing" in a semi-displacement Fleming. Just Sayin'

Fleming's have an impeccable history of crossings in that range. In fact, lots of ocean crossing in 55's and 65's. However, in fairness, much of that is Tony Fleming and that's almost like cheating due to his experience.

Dock mate (man and wife team) off to Hawaii in a cement ketch:

You know what is weird...this boat made it to australia...just...and our docked at my marina now. What a small boating world. They had quite an adventure with fire on board a 10 foot narrow head on miss in the middle of pacific...anyway the boat is here now. Needs lots of work. Amazing it made it.

I guess I´m a little bit impatient, I want it now and maybe I have to get some experience yes of course . I´m planning to join an Atlantic Crossing on board a 42 sailboat with a friend that has already 4 crossings each way from Brazil to Portugal (he delivers boats) and then I will see. We have already owned once a 60 feet motoryacht but did only coastal trips in the Mediterranean, Malaga and around.

My wish is to take my dad to some remote harbors and I don´t want to make it when he will be 80.

Another plan can be to book a charter with him and experience before buying any ideas ... ?

And thanks everybody you all are Great !!!

pd : Bering yatchs look amazing , not classic but very impressive

So you are looking to build a new boat but want to go before dad is too old?

An old adage says if it flies, floats or ,,, well, you know, it's far cheaper to rent than to own it. Book a charter yacht and leave next week. You can contemplate which boat to buy while crossing the equator.

For a better selection it might be interesting to cruise the Euro yacht offerings.

Far easier to find a class A ocean worthy there than in the USA.

Used will save at least half or more of new and take 1 or 2 years less to be RFS,( Ready for Sea.)

Back
Top Bottom