Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
Bacchus
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
Since it is the negative post only (positive looks fine) mean anything?
There are 4 cables landing on this post (1 to each engine, one to battery switch, not sure where 4th one goes) contribute? It has bugged me that there are 4 cables landing here, but as far as I can tell has never been an issue. Should I change this to one cable running to a bus bar type set up?
Thanks!
Max
Could the 4th be the shore batt'y charger? if so one option might be to move that to the batt'y post of the sel sw... that's how mine is wired

I read this re: batt'y corrosion - interesting but I'm not an expert and haven't heard this before...

"Corrosion on the terminals is due to hydrogen gas being released from the acid in the battery. It mixes with other things in the atmosphere under the hood and produces the corrosion you see on the terminals. Generally, if the corrosion is occurring on the negative terminal, your system is probably undercharging. If on the positive side, it is probably overcharging. Most often it will be seen on the negative side because the battery is usually in an undercharged situation. This is just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid."
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote