M.T. Aft Cabin Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

belizebill

Vessel Name
Irish Miss
Vessel Make
36' Marine Trader, D C
Im looking for any ideas of how to get a larger bed in my 36' Marine Trader . Anybody changed theres around? All of a sudden the Admiral isnt happy about the bed stuffed in the corner. BB

belizebill wrote:

Im looking for any ideas of how to get a larger bed in my 36' Marine Trader . Anybody changed theres around? All of a sudden the Admiral isnt happy about the bed stuffed in the corner. BB

Would it be cost effective to change out the Admiral? (just kidding:))

We wouldn't mind a double in the front stateroom - well it's the only stateroom, but has Vee berths at present. Anyone converted a vee into proper walk round (a bit anyway) double in a CHB 34 Sedan/Europa version...?

Peter B wrote:
We wouldn't mind a double in the front stateroom - well it's the only stateroom, but has Vee berths at present. Anyone converted a vee into proper walk round (a bit anyway) double in a CHB 34 Sedan/Europa version...?
* I will follow this with interest I have a 34' MT single cabin and although I have good spring mattress its still a V berth* Thinking about having a filler made and sleeping beam to beam** will make getting to the drawers harder

I

BB,

I have a 34 ft MT DC with an existing 42 in wide*bed frame in the aft cabin on the starboard side where the head is.* That makes for a pretty cozy relationship with the admiral; so I have a plan to enlarge the bedframe width from 42 to to 54 inches with some narrowing of the bed as it*buts up against the wall of the head.* The type of memory foam mattress that I bought*will allow me to trim off a section of foam*to allow the door to swing open enough.* I figure being cozy at the head of the bed is OK as long as we have more space to spread out in the middle and foot of the bed.* I would like to have a queen size width but not possible in*my 34 MT DC.* The mattress*is a three layer*memory foam mattress designed for RVs that you can easily*trim to allow the door to the head to*swing open enough.* I guess in RVs it is common to have to custom fit a mattress.* I haven't actually executed the plan yet* but see no reason why this won't work fine.* The key is being able to shape the bed and frame*into what you want.* In my case the existing frame needed rebuilding anyways so this was sort of a no brainer.* In some*boats the frame is like a fine piece of furniture with drawers and storage cupboards under which makes things a bit more challenging.

Bob

What do you plan on covering the foam with? Or do you jusy use a fitted sheet? My V berth is the one with storages and cupboards

I figure*building to the standard 54 in width (a double mattress is 54 inches), I should be able to use fitted sheets for a standard double matress*with some modification perhaps for that cut off corner by the head door.* If I can not get the admiral to make the modification, I guess there is always the work around called tuck it under.*The three layer mattress has the added feature of being able to*adjust the firmness and the thickness of the mattress by ordering the layers.* You see the layers (4 in,*3*in and 2 1/2*in = total of*9.5 in) have different foam characteristics.*** I attached a photo of the mattress which is kind of unique.
download.spark

I'd say switch to the Sundeck model, but I'd have to confess, I'm biased.

biggrin.gif

Ben,

I tried bidding on a President 34 DC with the Sundeck design but didn't get it.* It's probably good that*I didn't because it had a pretty nasty leaking fuel tank in it that needed to be replaced.* I settled for the Marine Trader 34DC which the owner had paid to have the one bad fuel tank replaced.*** I do recall the*larger size of the aft cabin and it was pretty spacious.** On the plus side my Marine Trader DC has the steps and sliding hatch*leading to the aft deck which is kind of nice too.

Bob

motion30 wrote:
...* Thinking about....sleeping beam to beam** will make getting to the drawers harder
Yes. that would be a serious problem for me. Take a course in braille, that might help.

Bilobob... I guess I am lucky in that the Admiral takes the port-side bunk in our MT34 DC . I think the only people that could consider the starboard bunk a "double" would be the little people that built the boat. (Is that an ethnic thing?)

When you do figure out how to redesign and rebuild it, Sams Club has 8, 10, and 12 inch memory foam mattresses in double, queen and king sizes.* They are super reasonable price wise, and can be easliy trimmed with a foam knife to any custom radius corners.* That was one*of our first upgrades and we love it.

When you do figure out how to redesign and rebuild it, Sams Club has 8, 10, and 12 inch memory foam mattresses in double, queen and king sizes.* They are super reasonable price wise, and can be easliy trimmed with a foam knife to any custom radius corners.* That was one*of our first upgrades and we love it.

When you say "foam knife" Where did you buy it?

When you say "foam knife" Where did you buy it?

We have used an electric carving knife to cut foam. Works pretty well though I don't think the blade's long enough to handle a 12" thick piece in one pass.

Sam's club also has a 6" memory foam mattress. I just ordered one to give it a try, $160 including shipping. Since our bunks are half under the deck, we can't have too high a mattress. Current one is about 6 inches, but it's also 40 years old! Hope this new one works out.

I have been kicking this idea around too. I have seen a centerline queen conversion in an article about a 42 GB aft cabin and I liked it. I also have seen an angled queen coming out from the corner. It may leave enough space for the head door.

Attachments

• image-233010903.jpg
    image-233010903.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,218
New project to an old thread

Anyone still have their boats on this thread?

I am about to do this to my boat in order to create a queen size bed, and separate head and shower rooms, and loads more storage. Not to mention the deck space!!!!!!

Hard core MT 34 DC owners might find it a bit tough, but watch this space!
4848-albums79-picture4121.png
:)

Greetings,
Our previous boat was a 34' MT DC with the stairs, sliding hatch as previously mentioned BUT as I recall, the stairs were positioned amidships (directly inline with the keel) and I really don't see any way to position a double bed without infringing on stair access. Never mind the hanging locker and head/shower door.

Hmm, I have a queen in my 36’ MT sundeck. It even has 2 built in night tables. Is this not the norm? It does not look like a refit.

Hmm, I have a queen in my 36’ MT sundeck. It even has 2 built in night tables. Is this not the norm? It does not look like a refit.

Ah, one of the benefits of the sundeck model:thumb:

Sorry, I should have included the current boat design which is as per the standard 34 DC.

Essentially I am going to cut off the aft cabin and build a sundeck model! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

4848-albums79-picture4122.jpg

4848-albums79-picture4121.png

Last edited:
So here is the idea for the interior layout.

Dare I say this..... but comments welcome! :)

Seriously though, I am keen to get peoples thoughts before I cut into the boat in a pretty major way. Keep in mind that I have the skills to undertake this job. I have also spent 5 years getting to know and love my boat, upgrading all the time, so I am not interested in selling and looking for another boat that perhaps already has this layout.

For those of you who are familiar with this type of boat, the forward two compartments, head on STB and hanging locker on Port will remain in place.

Large water tank currently located under stb berth will be located under new bed towards midships, small water tank currently under port bed will be located under the new cupboard on stb aft of Head. Midships location of large water tank and outboard location of small water tank will provide balance.

One issue I may encounter is head room in the shower stall. I need to take some measurements on the weekend.

All just simple concept for now.....

:popcorn:

4848-albums79-picture4123.jpg

Mark 2 for interior layout, smaller shower stall, but more practical and would have a better symmetrical ascetic.

Also there is enough head room in shower stall with this version.

4848-albums79-picture4125.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom