View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #41
ulysses
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
BandB: Being a water utility owner and operator for over 30 years I appreciate the efforts municipalities, communities, and water system owners put in to comply with the safe drinking water act. This is a 24/7/365 profession. I researched your complaints with the FT Lauderdale Water System. They did have a "one time" violation of the coliform rule in April of 2014 with the samples going over the 5% positive for that month only. In testing for over 280 different contaminants annually over the past five years that was their only violation. Tannins are an issue but as you said there are no health related issues with tannins in the water it is due more to where you live and the source water than anything harmful.
A "Boil Water Notice" is usually issued when a POTENTIAL exists for the system to be compromised. I have issued them when there is a break in a main line or other such distribution problems may arise that could allow the system to be effected. It is lifted as lab tests prove the threat is no longer an issue. It does not always mean that the water is contaminated. Be aware though that there are competent trained individuals addressing the problem during the boil water adviseary.
Much of the apparent issue you are taking with Lead and Copper is from reading the Consumer Confidence Reports required information for ALL SYSTEMS TO INCLUDE AS A LEARNING TOOL IN THEIR CCR. It does not mean your system is at risk. The Ft. Lauderdale system had no Violations on the Lead and Copper tests. It is important to look at the actual tests results and not at the required EPD definitions. You will note that most of those definitions and written explanations of a water born threat will start with "IF PRESENt" that is where you should go and see if the test results show a presence in your specifice system.
Any questions I would be happy to answer for you. We are extremely blessed to have a water treatment and distribution system in this country that addresses these issues.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote