Gpsmap 7215...cheap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I just thought I would throw out a heads up. Seems they are blowing these things out. I have bought from Hodges Marine with absolutely no issues so I know it is not a scam. I just got an email from a friend and he scooped one up. Just passing it along. These things retail for $5k+++ If you are in the market for a nice touchscreen BIG plotter, here it is!!! Absolutely no connection with this. If you google Garmin 7215 there are other online stores with similar pricing. West Marine has theirs on "sale" for $5k with a regular price of $7k!!!! So now is your chance!!! Don't hesitate. This might be some crazy black Wednesday sale or something!!! What a BARGAIN!!!!!

Garmin Gpsmap 7215 Gps Chartplotter Mfd

Garmin seems to update models so frequently that often these "Non-current" models become available at deep discounts. I bought a few smaller plotters this way. Oftentimes no real functional differences with the newer version..

Garmin seems to update models so frequently that often these "Non-current" models become available at deep discounts. I bought a few smaller plotters this way. Oftentimes no real functional differences with the newer version..

Yep...I do realize that. But still...this is the outgoing model. Is the new one really worth $5000+++ more????!!!!!!!

I have a 741 that I thought I stole for $800. This is a REAL STEAL!!!!....IMO

I have a 741 that I thought I stole for $800. This is a REAL STEAL!!!!....IMO

Yup! Same here. I have an Echomap 70s I stole for $500!
This is a deal! If I only had room for a 15" display......

Last edited:
According to the Garmin web site, the GPSMAP 7215 is a discontinued product.

Support???

Support???

Support? Ever had an issue with a Garmin product? Doubt it. Maps are always updateable. Not much to go wrong in the long run..Even Non-current products come with a warranty..

According to the Garmin web site, the GPSMAP 7215 is a discontinued product.

Support???

Absolutely. These are sold with the factory warranty in full effect. It is not like they are black/grey market or anything.

Support for a discontinued Garmin product? Hmm. Garmin is no longer doing software updates for our legacy 4210 and 4208 units. On the other hand, they still work great and we can update the maps by buying them on an SD card.

Before you get too excited, Google it and see how many other sites are also selling it at a deep discount. None this deep, yet, but many within $500.

I'm really leery of touchscreens that have no backup buttons. Just wonder what happens when you come in from the outside with salt water on your fingers and you need to change some settings?

It's a great price however and just might fit on my boat.

Before you get too excited, Google it and see how many other sites are also selling it at a deep discount. None this deep, yet, but many within $500.

I do believe if you read the initial post I said exactly that. Does anyone understand we are talking about a plotter that sold for SEVEN friggin THOUSAND DOLLARS when they fist came out??? Who the hell cares if there are numerous sellers at similar prices. So YES, I am excited. You cannot even get a blank 15 inch daylight viewable display for this money much less one loaded with software and a touchscreen.

I'm really leery of touchscreens that have no backup buttons. Just wonder what happens when you come in from the outside with salt water on your fingers and you need to change some settings?

It's a great price however and just might fit on my boat.

A somewhat valid concern....but not really. I have lived with a touchscreen for two years now. I was leery as well but I guarantee you will fall in love with them. When I can tap a point on the map and a box pops up with "go to" and confirm and BAM...3 keystrokes in as many seconds and my input is complete. It really is a different world instead of scrolling a cursor around and using different buttons. Anyway, I felt the same way as you and I don't anymore. Never going back.

A somewhat valid concern....but not really. I have lived with a touchscreen for two years now. I was leery as well but I guarantee you will fall in love with them. When I can tap a point on the map and a box pops up with "go to" and confirm and BAM...3 keystrokes in as many seconds and my input is complete. It really is a different world instead of scrolling a cursor around and using different buttons. Anyway, I felt the same way as you and I don't anymore. Never going back.

Thanks Baker. Sure is tempting. This is what I need to upgrade my 11 YO electronics with a separate chart and radar display:

2 7215's $3000
1 GSD 22 Sounder - $400
1 24" Radome - $2000
Cables - $300

Total - $$5700

That's a pretty cheap upgrade as I was thinking at least $10K to accomplish this. Now if only Santa would come through.

Last edited:
Thanks Baker. Sure is tempting. This is what I need to upgrade my 11 YO electronics with a separate chart and radar display:

2 7215's $3000
1 GSD 22 Sounder - $400
1 24" Radome - $2000
Cables - $300

Total - $$5700

That's a pretty cheap upgrade as I was thinking at least $10K to accomplish this. Now if only Santa would come through.

Just don't wait long. I would imagine, once they're gone...they are gone!!! You are correct though. That is a wicked set up for a very reasonable price.

gps

I just got one works good garmin teck support is good allso I have had one that is touchscreen for 7 yrs outside it has been covered in salt been good so far

John, that's an awesome deal. But where are you going to put it. My helm is full with my Ray 9" wide screen.

Touch screen is the future, I've had them for 5 years one Gamin and one Ray and will never get buttons again.

My Ray 9" is probably considered small by most folks but I really can't tell. Unless you run split screen do you really need such a big screen. I use the radar overlay so don't miss such a big screen. But at that price....

John and I have the same boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.JPG
    IMG_1412.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 92
I didn't know these things had dropped so much! Two weeks ago, I sold a pristine one-year old 12-inch model (GPSmap 7212) for $1,500. I got all sorts of offers for $1K to $1.2K, but figured they were low-ballers. I'm switching from Garmin to the new Furuno TZ Touch 2 that integrates with AC, has GPS and depth finder built in and other features I like. But I'll probably wait awhile before pulling the trigger. It pays not to be an early adopter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 84
John, that's an awesome deal. But where are you going to put it. My helm is full with my Ray 9" wide screen.

Touch screen is the future, I've had them for 5 years one Gamin and one Ray and will never get buttons again.

My Ray 9" is probably considered small by most folks but I really can't tell. Unless you run split screen do you really need such a big screen. I use the radar overlay so don't miss such a big screen. But at that price....

John and I have the same boat.

I actually have not taken the tape measure to it. I have a Ray Radar and some Ray product over there to the left which does not work. The Radar is old(Pathfinder with 7 inch display) but I have to admmit, works surprisingly well. So if it would fit over there, I would do it. I went looking for the 7212 and most places are sold out...but the ones that aren't have it for a few hundred dollars MORE than this. Meanwhile, I just truck along using that 741 touchscreen....it has worked like a champ so far and I love it!!!

Well, I bit the bullet. I have 2 7215's, a radar dome and a sounder on order. Thanks Baker.

These displays are bigger than what I would have bought but the price was too good to ignore. It is going to be tight for the two displays on my console but I think I can make it work.

Here is a picture of how it looks today. The middle display is a computer monitor running Coastal Explorer. The two on either side are Raymarine RL70's which will be replaced.

Attachments

• Pilothouse.jpg
    Pilothouse.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 90
Wind: Wife and I just purchased an Selene 48. 2004 RM RL80's in the ph. We are updating the entire system to Garmin. Would be interested to see your install refit after pulling the RL70's. I'm still not sure how to make mine work w/o making a mess of the existing teak panel.

Wind: Wife and I just purchased an Selene 48. 2004 RM RL80's in the ph. We are updating the entire system to Garmin. Would be interested to see your install refit after pulling the RL70's. I'm still not sure how to make mine work w/o making a mess of the existing teak panel.

I'll post a picture when I'm done with the installation but that may not be until well into January. We have quite a few boating events in December and I don't want to have the boat in a big mess. However, the first thing I will do is mount the 2 displays. I made a cardboard template of the overall size and they will fit but it will be tight.

By the way, I just discovered today that I have RL80's not RL70's as I posted earlier.

Well, I bit the bullet. I have 2 7215's, a radar dome and a sounder on order. Thanks Baker.

These displays are bigger than what I would have bought but the price was too good to ignore. It is going to be tight for the two displays on my console but I think I can make it work.

Here is a picture of how it looks today. The middle display is a computer monitor running Coastal Explorer. The two on either side are Raymarine RL70's which will be replaced.

WOOOHOOOO!!!! I love spending other people's money!!!...:rofl: Those RL70s are a lot bigger and have a lot of "wasted space" around the screen. I am sure you measured it out...obviously it is gonna take some modification. But it will look slick when it is done.!!!

I'll post a picture when I'm done with the installation but that may not be until well into January. We have quite a few boating events in December and I don't want to have the boat in a big mess. However, the first thing I will do is mount the 2 displays. I made a cardboard template of the overall size and they will fit but it will be tight.

By the way, I just discovered today that I have RL80's not RL70's as I posted earlier.

Thanks. I hope to have mine done sometime between now and then. I have 2X80's in the ph and 1x70 on the fly. Due to space, I had to go w/ 2x7212 on the PH and 1x7215 on the fly.

Not sure exactly how to interface the Seatalk1 remaining devices, ST60, RM A/P, and Coastal Explorer, AIS on the same N2K backbone. But, I'm sure I can find someone in Stuart Fl to do it.. for a price. ;) Would love to do it all myself but I know my limits... well, sorta.

Thank and will post pics along the way.

PM

Attachments

• Flybr (Custom).jpg
    Flybr (Custom).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
The first cruise with the new Garmin displays that Baker told us about. I still have some NEMA 0183 stuff to hook up but the new displays work great. I was even able to use the old Raymarine transducer but will replace it (maybe) when I have a haulout scheduled. I can't get STW or temp but I don't really care. I was able to sell the old Raymarine RL80's and radar for $600, so this whole setup cost me about $4800. Thanks Baker.

Attachments

• New Garmin Electronics.jpg
    New Garmin Electronics.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 226
The first cruise with the new Garmin displays that Baker told us about. I still have some NEMA 0183 stuff to hook up but the new displays work great. I was even able to use the old Raymarine transducer but will replace it (maybe) when I have a haulout scheduled. I can't get STW or temp but I don't really care. I was able to sell the old Raymarine RL80's and radar for $600, so this whole setup cost me about $4800. Thanks Baker.

Looking good and glad you are enjoying it!!!! That looks super slick!!!!

Last edited:
I'm really leery of touchscreens that have no backup buttons. Just wonder what happens when you come in from the outside with salt water on your fingers and you need to change some settings?.

Lots of restaurants use touch screens for the servers to place orders and print checks. They often have food on their hands. The Garmin touch screen can handle dirty or salty fingers with no problem and you can clean it when needed.

Buttons are more likely to be affected by dirt or water than a glass touch screen.

Support for a discontinued Garmin product? Hmm. Garmin is no longer doing software updates for our legacy 4210 and 4208 units. On the other hand, they still work great and we can update the maps by buying them on an SD card.

There's a point in a (Garmin) product's life when they no longer offer repairs. This could be a problem, but of course by this time the newer products offer a lot more speed and features.

It's no different than computers. Microsoft no longer provides support for its older operating systems and one would have a hard time getting repairs on a ten year old PC.

perhaps but I sent a 10 YO furuno radar back to the factory and they fixed it and updated all the SW. Of course they deal with commercial users who don't think they should buy new electronics every five years.

There's a point in a (Garmin) product's life when they no longer offer repairs. This could be a problem, but of course by this time the newer products offer a lot more speed and features.

It's no different than computers. Microsoft no longer provides support for its older operating systems and one would have a hard time getting repairs on a ten year old PC.

It is not like this model is 10 years old. There is plenty of support for it and it was bought brand new from an authorized dealer. Not only is there support, there is a warranty!!!

Hey windmist, what is your opinion of touchscreen???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom