Painting with Aerosol Cans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah...Eric, a dashboard is not exactly a large area, I would think.
I also take the point re the suggestion of a clip-on spray can handle, which I presume makes the holding and the depression of the spray knob much easier on the fingers, as I've done a bit of spray can painting, and it's hard on the fingers, and your fingertip sometimes interferes with the spray, causing droplets.

Exactly! With the clip on handle which has a trigger, you can spray just like the pros. Sweep side to side and stop the trigger before you end each sweep. You will be surprised how smooth your motion will be and the paint overlap each stroke will meld correctly. Give it a try, they are only a couple of bucks.

Al-27'Marben Pocket CRUISER

"I've sprayed touch up areas with the Preval using paint and gelcoat. I practiced on a throw away flat surface after I mixed the right consistency without the spray being to thin or thick. I'd challenge anyone to find the repairs."

:thumb::thumb:

I would like to thank those who posted real life experiences. It sounds like this would be just the thing for gelcoat repairs or touch up.

For many here with a large enough boat...a cheap airbrush kit and small compressor works great too...plus the compressor has many other uses.

I was in the paint store getting paint matched to paint the transom of my boat. They were mixing custom colors of paint and putting it into spray cans. I think he said that it was about 7 or 8 dollars plus the cost of the paint. He said he could put almost anything sprayable into the can.

Some great advice. I've used Preval sprayers for various jobs including gelcoat over 20 years. I know plenty of boat builders that use them for touch up too.

The clip on handles for a spray can is good advice too. Even for a small area it helps control and fatigue of your index finger which can make a huge difference in the finished product.

As mentioned, technique is as, if not more, important than product.

If you can use a basic color I have found the Rust-oleum Epoxy Appliance Black/White/Biscuit Specialty Appliance Epoxy Spray Product Page to be an excellent product in a rattle can. I have used it in small areas on thee olde Mainship, outdoor furniture, even an old car. Best paint in a spray can I have ever used.

And a last suggestion, if you are looking for a basic color like white, the next time you are in the yard, look around for any spray jobs going on. If there is a hull being painted you might be able to get the painter to come over with his setup when he's done and use left over paint to do your little job. I've done this and for $100 got a professional finish on a small project. Of course you have to do all the prep to the painters specs, and you may have to tent the area.

:socool:

"If there is a hull being painted you might be able to get the painter to come over with his setup when he's done and use left over paint to do your little job."

For a stand alone this is good advice ,

BUT for touch up remember there are provably 50 "white" colors.

Even harder with gel coat that changes color just drying , and again ages in sun shine.

It will just come out in drips...

I cut an oversized hole in a pretty good sheet of cardboard...hold it an inch or two away...closer if tiny area...and spray.

Ah. Got it, thanks.

-Chris

True but they are geared towards selling the product. If you can't take the time to answer, there's not much point in posting.

I guess the answer is so obvious he didn't feel the need for a detailed post.

But I'll have a go.

You buy/mix your paint, pour it in the glass jar, screw on the aerosol spray head, spray your paint till the replaceable aerosol head runs out, change to a new aerosol head if need be, add more paint to the jar if need be, repeat as needed to finish the job, clean out jar after you're done, spray solvent through the aerosol head if you want to save it or throw it away.

That is pretty much how it works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom